JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at an indoor range yesterday that also has some used guns for sale. They had a Colt Commander M1991A1 that was built in 1995 (I looked up the SN on Colt's website) for sale. I think it was a parkerized finish (it was a very dusty matte black color). Anyway, it is in pretty rough condition. The finish was worn through on all the edges of the pistol. My best guess is that it was at 70% (still trying to figure out grading). At the gun show the other day I did pick up the latest copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values and my best guess is that the blue book value is around $425. They were asking $1,099 for it.

Is it just assumed that if it is a Colt 1911 (or in this case 1991), it automatically worth more than a grand? I guess there is huge difference between blue book and market values.

It's called "Perceived Value"

Definition of 'Perceived Value'
The worth that a product or service has in the mind of the consumer. The consumer's perceived value of a good or service affects the price that he or she is willing to pay for it. For the most part, consumers are unaware of the true cost of production for the products they buy. Instead, they simply have an internal feeling for how much certain products are worth to them. Thus, in order to obtain a higher price for their products, producers may pursue marketing strategies to create a higher perceived value for their products.

A 70% finish sounds like a carry gun. How many rounds through and internal condition mean more than cosmetics do. (At least to me.) The price was unrealistic, but they might get it from some dupe who only knows it's a Colt. That prancing pony carries quite an aura.

A 1991 is not a 1000 dollar gun. A $500+- gun,yes,not a $1000 by any means.
That was their "cheap" 1911. Cheap fit and finish,sights etc.

I don't know that I would exactly call a new Colt a $500 gun... Considering you're paying a premium for the name, yes, $700/$800, but on top of that, they only make approximately 500 of each model, which only leaves 10x per state. The 1991A1 is exactly the same as the Series 70 reproduction, with the exception of the drop safety.

The 1991,as i said is the very bottom tier of colt 1911 style pistols
The 1991 is NOT a series 70 it is a series 80 colt with the fire pin block

clue: look under the slide and see the plunger

New they were around the $700 mark,but used is an entirely different price

I fell into this and now understand that even the colts have cheapos

That is correct, a 1991 is not a series 70. However, a series 70 and 1991 use the exact frame and slide. Hint, check the series 70, the cuts for the firing pin block are the same as the 1991.

The 1991,as i said is the very bottom tier of colt 1911 style pistols
The 1991 is NOT a series 70 it is a series 80 colt with the fire pin block

clue: look under the slide and see the plunger

New they were around the $700 mark,but used is an entirely different price

I fell into this and now understand that even the colts have cheapos

By happy coincidence, I was in a local pawn shop this morning after posting in this thread. They had a very clean Colt 1991A1 Commander for sale for $849. I would imagine it could be had for a bit less.

For that price or a bit more, I'd look for a Series 70.

However, a series 70 and 1991 use the exact frame and slide. Hint, check the series 70, the cuts for the firing pin block are the same as the 1991.

Please expound on what yer callin' the "firing pin block".

Just wanna make sure we are on the same page, let alone the same book.

It's not because it's a Colt, it's because the seller is a crack smoker!

I would have asked the seller "what did the five fingers say to the face?" and when he said I DON'T KNOW! I'd slap him :s0114: just kidding... don't do that lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top