JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am the kind of person who thinks words have a literal meaning and when you speak or post them we both know what they mean. What does the following sentence mean to you when a person says they bought this rifle in the 90s.

"it has 200 rounds or less through it,looks new."

I am just trying to determin if my standards are too picky compared to you.

jj

I would expect it to look new, as if it were purchased last week. Completely covered in oil, with a nice clean bore. "Looks great for being bought in the 90's" is more reasonable if it's in good condition but shows it's age.

so if the gun was dirty with the dirt in the grip checkering and the magazine well showed the gun was shot far more than 200rnds is that considered "like new"?

jj

I'm really trying to play devils advocate here... but you keep making it harder.

No, if he jeweled the bolt himself then it should definitely be in the description. If it were factory, that'd be a different story.

:s0112: Well I must be the devil and way too picky. I just kinda fail to understand how two people can look at the same gun and come up with different terms for "like new".

Thanks for the feedback, I will have my family duely chastise me for being too picky.

jj

ah well, there's "too picky" or "being realistic" and there's "truth in advertising", which is too often overlooked by peeps selling stuff :) Last gun I bought was cosmetically 'like new' externally, but the innards looked like the original owner had mixed cosmoline with road tar & used a turkey baster to pump it full. Then baked the gunk on at 400 degrees...Oh well, it got me a crazy good deal. Nothing wrong with being picky with your $$ JJ! But for sure, dirt in the checkering, gunked internals, obvious mag well use showing more than 200 rds= not 'like new'! It's a drag to take time & gas to find out something is totally different than what a seller has led you to believe. I'd agree, 'like new' means... well, like it came out of the box from the shop.

There were pics of the rifle showing the jewled bolt. SO tell me how you can be upset?? You should be mad at yourself for not paying attention to the pics. I ended up getting the rifle for a buddy who is planning to to some custom work to it anyway. The barrel is gonna come off and a new stock will be put on it. It came with a red dot(a cheap one) and three butler creek mags and one factory. For $180 dollars it is a pretty good deal for the old aluminum trigger group.
I am sorry to rain on your parade but you really should pay attention to pics before you bad mouth a seller. To him it was like new, low round count and the gun was not in bad shape. No need to beat a guy up because you feel you wasted the gas when the pics show clearly the bolt.

Dan

There were pics of the rifle showing the jewled bolt. SO tell me how you can be upset?? You should be mad at yourself for not paying attention to the pics. I ended up getting the rifle for a buddy who is planning to to some custom work to it anyway. The barrel is gonna come off and a new stock will be put on it. It came with a red dot(a cheap one) and three butler creek mags and one factory. For $180 dollars it is a pretty good deal for the old aluminum trigger group.
I am sorry to rain on your parade but you really should pay attention to pics before you bad mouth a seller. To him it was like new, low round count and the gun was not in bad shape. No need to beat a guy up because you feel you wasted the gas when the pics show clearly the bolt.

Dan

Picture posted was of only one side of gun and picture was of poor quality. You are right I should have noticed the jeweling and asked the poster. I am glad you got the gun and you are willing to spend alot of money to make it better. As for bad mouthing I was asking others their opinion as was I being too picky and I got theirs and yours. Obviously someone who is going to rebuild the gun wouldn't care about the flaws.

I too was buying for a friend but would not buy this gun with his hard earned money, he is a good friend. I did manage to buy a perfect stainless today from another seller with four mags and it cost $175. My friend will be happy.

jj

You bought the stainless one from near where I live. If my buddy wanted stainless I would have gotten that one. As for having to spend a ton of money? I am not sure where that comes from? There is nothing wrong function wise with the rifle. I always tear down the rugers as it is simple to do and easy to clean. As far as money, I have a hogue stock that I got for $25 and he is gonna get a barrel and have a fun shooter.
If you buddy wanted a like new, I can understand. But I clean a gun right when I get it anyway so a little dirt don't hurt.
Glad you found what you were looking.

Dan

And I am glad you are happy with what you bought. I freely admit too, I am way too picky. No sense people getting offended because I am.

jj

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top