JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My history is not that good but i think the last time we were invaded it was the brits? Anyway would you invade a country knowing most people were armed and would defend the country? Not only would our military defend it but the rest of us would too, well the people who believe in the second amendment anyway. Lets hear some thoughts

My history is not that good but i think the last time we were invaded it was the brits? Anyway would you invade a country knowing most people were armed and would defend the country? Not only would our military defend it but the rest of us would too, well the people who believe in the second amendment anyway. Lets hear some thoughts
Tell that to the southern border.

Pancho Villa, 1917. Assorted other more recent border incursions by (alleged) Mexican military, it has been claimed. Daily invasions of southern border by Mex, Guat, terrorists of any kind.... BORDERS, Culture, Language. :eek:American is in the process of losing all three.

Tell that to Alaska - WW2. Japanese had control of some Aleutian islands. Territory, not state at the time.

There are some good stories about a few brave men getting the Japanese out. Not Soldiers - although they too served with distinction. Locals who new the area from hunting and fishing.

Tell that to Alaska - WW2. Japanese had control of some Aleutian islands. Territory, not state at the time.

There are some good stories about a few brave men getting the Japanese out. Not Soldiers - although they too served with distinction. Locals who new the area from hunting and fishing.
Touche and an "A" in history!:s0017:.... Dunno how I could have forgotten that obscure ww2 invasion. It was a disaster, intended to make an invasion of the US mainland easier and to provide sub and airfield bases for the NE Pacific!:s0160: I remember seeing pictures of jap soldiers who committed suicide using their rifles, fired with their toes...

I don't know if I'd call the Revolutionary War an invasion by the Brits...I mean, would you call the French and Indian War an invasion of France by the Brits?

We were British colonies that seceded from the Empire. Yes, the Brits tried to take back the land...but the term invasion doesn't seem apt from the perspective of wanting to take back what was previously yours. I guess that's neither here nor there and is mostly a semantics argument.

The last time that we had a formal military in the contiguous states was Pancho Villa ~1916. That said, Mexican Rebels had attacked in Texas a year prior.

The last time we had a formal military in our controlled territory was in WWII with Japan taking the Aleutian Islands...for a time.

If you broaden the term invasion to include informal and non-combatants, then you could make a case that the combined Latin American population has been invading for quite some time and the total estimate is somewhere between 11 and 29 million people. As these are people that naturally find safety in numbers, it could be argued that they fail to assimilate and thus bring a vastly different culture to the US.

As to your question of what an invasion would look like today...The only force on this planet that would have half a chance would be China and it would be a highly nuclear war. Both countries would wind up wastelands, but if China did get the upper hand and land an invasion force, then they'd look to take the Eastern states first. Assuming you survived so far, you'd probably have to travel across the country to join the militia. The Chinese would, at some point, realize how detrimental it is to attempt to take a foreign power in the 21st century when every man, woman, and large child has the capability of firing a gun and killing your soldiers.

I'd think that just about everyone here would die before being forced to serve the Emperor (yes, Xi Jinping calls himself a president...but he's a president of a communist government with no term limits...define his role how you see fit).

So, we'd all fight. In all honesty, such a war would end up being global and whoever survived by staying out the longest would probably come in for the spoils after everyone else is dead. If you decided to say 'eff it' to the conflict and bug out, you would probably spend the rest of your life and children's lives on your bug out farm seeing scant few, if any, people. Rebuilding after WWIII will take a long, long time.

I don't know if I'd call the Revolutionary War an invasion by the Brits...I mean, would you call the French and Indian War an invasion of France by the Brits?

We were British colonies that seceded from the Empire. Yes, the Brits tried to take back the land...but the term invasion doesn't seem apt from the perspective of wanting to take back what was previously yours. I guess that's neither here nor there and is mostly a semantics argument.

The last time that we had a formal military in the contiguous states was Pancho Villa ~1916. That said, Mexican Rebels had attacked in Texas a year prior.

The last time we had a formal military in our controlled territory was in WWII with Japan taking the Aleutian Islands...for a time.

If you broaden the term invasion to include informal and non-combatants, then you could make a case that the combined Latin American population has been invading for quite some time and the total estimate is somewhere between 11 and 29 million people. As these are people that naturally find safety in numbers, it could be argued that they fail to assimilate and thus bring a vastly different culture to the US.

As to your question of what an invasion would look like today...The only force on this planet that would have half a chance would be China and it would be a highly nuclear war. Both countries would wind up wastelands, but if China did get the upper hand and land an invasion force, then they'd look to take the Eastern states first. Assuming you survived so far, you'd probably have to travel across the country to join the militia. The Chinese would, at some point, realize how detrimental it is to attempt to take a foreign power in the 21st century when every man, woman, and large child has the capability of firing a gun and killing your soldiers.

I'd think that just about everyone here would die before being forced to serve the Emperor (yes, Xi Jinping calls himself a president...but he's a president of a communist government with no term limits...define his role how you see fit).

So, we'd all fight. In all honesty, such a war would end up being global and whoever survived by staying out the longest would probably come in for the spoils after everyone else is dead. If you decided to say 'eff it' to the conflict and bug out, you would probably spend the rest of your life and children's lives on your bug out farm seeing scant few, if any, people. Rebuilding after WWIII will take a long, long time.
The British did invade in 1812- which gave rise to the seige of Ft McHenry and the "Star-Spangled Banner"... The also invaded the Louisiana delta and which was repulsed by Andy Jackson and gave rise to "The Battle of New Orleans"- the red-neck national anthem#2 :D...

The British did invade in 1812- which gave rise to the seige of Ft McHenry and the "Star-Spangled Banner"... The also invaded the Louisiana delta and which was repulsed by Andy Jackson and gave rise to "The Battle of New Orleans"- the red-neck national anthem#2 :D...

And they burned Washington. Can't really get mad at them for that, though.

Then there was the British Invasion of 1964.

Ah, crap, how could I have forgotten? Seems I placed the war of 1812 in my head as a naval affair, forgetting the land battles. Right you are.

Well, historically, the last organized national invasion was Japan, which occupied the Aleutian Islands in WWII until we repelled them. Most people don't know that but it did happen. They occupied American soil for an extended period.

Regardless, I agree that a national armed enemy invasion is a non-starter in part due to the obvious armed resistance of 100,000,000+ armed Americans. We can't be beaten in conventional war, nor in ground invasion. But we can be destroyed with non-conventional war, debt, and from within.

That's partly why the enemies of America haven't bothered but instead are invading and trying to overtake with non-conventional attacks by nonstate actors (i.e. terrorist attacks) civilian masses (Mexians, Muslims) to change America from within, and also destroy the dollar and also bleed us dry with debt thru endless foreign wars. OBL predicted a death by 1000 cuts that we'd engage in endless wars and destroy ourselves...

And they burned Washington. Can't really get mad at them for that, though.

Then there was the British Invasion of 1964.
The highly successful British Invasion of the mid-1960's was one of the most welcomed "friendly take-overs" in history and coming on the heels of the murder of JFK, it was just what the doctor ordered for America's burgeoning youth culture.. Or so it seemed to me at the time, yeah yeah yeah! :D

1575593022012.png

And therein their plans fell apart. They thought they could brow-beat us into limp-wristing... didnt work with that generation. Not so sure of today, tho... The above quote attributed to Yamamoto is considered apocryphal by some historians, but was certainly truth. What Yamamoto DID say after Pearl, tho was ""I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." While our fathers and grandfathers wanted to do nothing more than rip IJ a new one asap, political realities were that the Germans had to be destroyed... Which, thanks to American production and Russian blood and tenacity, happened just the way Roosevelt, Churchill and the monster in the Kremlin planned.
Seems to many that our next Big One will be with red China over control of SE Asia and Austral-Asia, trade routes and markets. Japan is seemingly preparing itself too...

And therein their plans fell apart. They thought they could brow-beat us into limp-wristing... didnt work with that generation. Not so sure of today, tho... The above quote attributed to Yamamoto is considered apocryphal by some historians, but was certainly truth. What Yamamoto DID say after Pearl, tho was ""I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." While our fathers and grandfathers wanted to do nothing more than rip IJ a new one asap, political realities were that the Germans had to be destroyed... Which, thanks to American production and Russian blood and tenacity, happened just the way Roosevelt, Churchill and the monster in the Kremlin planned.
Seems to many that our next Big One will be with red China over control of SE Asia and Austral-Asia, trade routes and markets. Japan is seemingly preparing itself too...
So kind of a remake of WWII? Just different players.

If we were invaded...would folks defend the country...sure
Would many be like Vichy France...yep
War brings out the best and worst in folks.
Andy

Agreed, completely. In an extensive study of the period, you are correct; some turn resistance, others willing collaborators. Funny thought (and most certainly not "haha" funny) was musings about an invasion of CONUS, my game plan would be:

1. Get wife and children out of the county, by any method, by any conveyance, through whatever hook or crook, and load them down with as much liquid assets possible, to hole up with family in Argentina. Said wife is intelligent, educated, tough, and resilient, so I'm sure she'd do fine.
  2. Resist by whatever means possible against the invader. I may be aging, but I know how to live in the sticks, am inventive, know how to place a round where it needs to go, and have the crazy in the eyes. I'm sure others, some more youthful and skilled, would be fighting along side me.
  3. If by some miracle I survived and we repelled the invader, go find my family and bring them back. (Understanding history, this is most assuredly unlikely. Odds are I'd be dead within the first couple weeks, because that is what happens in resistance movements.)
Here's hoping this remains a disturbing, fleeting thought, rather than a very real nightmare. Well wishes, my friends.

If we were invaded...would folks defend the country...sure
Would many be like Vichy France...yep
War brings out the best and worst in folks.
Andy
Andy... Your assessment of collaborators is undoubtedly correct, especially after life gets tough and "friendlies" would be granted extra food, fuel, passes, and other material gain to feed their families and just survive. I t would be the job of the Resistance Security forces to eliminate collaborators and terrorise the population to the point that open co-operation would be likely fatal. This was the key to the successful Irish Rebellion 1919-1922.. The IRA and other groups held the balance of terror over the general population.
This happened in all the occupied countries. In some cases men enlisted in police forces or military units to resist their own governments. The Waffen-SS recruited a lot of western Euros in every occupied country, and later more divisions from most countries in eastern Europa, with the exception of Poland. The clarion-call was "Defeat the Bolshevik monsters", a great Crusade that I would have been tempted to join.
Vichy was a different matter, at least until the Germans occupied it. Vichy was nominally at least "free", or as free as a police state can be. Many Vichy French went to N Africa and continued resistance. A number of Frenchmen joined the Waffen SS.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top