JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the for sale section you run across sellers that want you to have a concealed handgun permit or go through an FFL to buy their guns. On several occasions I have asked if my C&R was good enough on a FTF in state transaction that requires no FFL to begin with and they said no. I realize they have the right to refuse to sell for whatever reason, but I have been vetted at the federal level although what I can buy is more limited than an FFL-01 but I still have basically the same responsibilities as one. Anyone care to comment.

In the for sale section you run across sellers that want you to have a concealed handgun permit or go through an FFL to buy their guns. On several occasions I have asked if my C&R was good enough on a FTF in state transaction that requires no FFL to begin with and they said no. I realize they have the right to refuse to sell for whatever reason, but I have been vetted at the federal level although what I can buy is more limited than an FFL-01 but I still have basically the same responsibilities as one. Anyone care to comment.

personally, I would be ok with that. I don't require a CHL of buyers necessarily. I give preference - if I had two equal cash offers and one had the CHL, I'd go with them. the point being they are vetted. So yes, you are under Federal scrutiny so to speak.

The 2 reasons to go with known quantities of the CHL or FFL is to ensure the person you are dealing with can legally own a firearm.
And to ensure they are a resident of the state where the transfer would take place.

The bad outcomes of these is that you could become a felon if you get these wrong.

The Curios & Relics you mention is not something I am familiar with, and had to do a Google search. Perhaps you can reassure the seller/purchaser by helping them to understand the BATFE license. (um sorry, to "more or better understand", cause I doubt the BATFE even knows for sure)

As the OP said, if they're not comfortable with the sale then they have a right to refuse to sell. Doesn't matter what licenses you have, they can all be easily forged now. Although a phone call or internet connection could clear that up.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

That is the thing about it I am an FFL just in a different class. I am just surprised at the number of gun enthusiasts who don't know about FFL-03 licenses. Actually it is no big deal to me but it just strikes me as inconsistent. I have bought a few guns where a C&R was required by law where the buyer had no clue. I pointed them in the appropriate direction including the verification of my number. They came back and said it was OK.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top