JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found out today some folks have not used the myhealthyvet website recently.
Try it out and sign up on the Secure Messaging and you might be surprised at how quick and easy you can
connect to your doctor quickly. Usually a response the same day or at least by the next morning.
They have really updated the site in the last year, and you can do pretty much everything on there, including
prescription refills and getting reports on tests, making and or changing appointments and about everything else.

Right Boondocks :D

Aye up!!!!

had a bit of a Pharmacy issue this morning... Did a respond to Taku's PM, he mentioned above, I went back online, and Results within One Hour.

In the past, I would have gnawed off a whole Paw, before I got an answer :D nice improvement, especially how they categorize your Own Secure Messaging list, my (brand new) Primary Care MD, was First on the list!

Thanks again Taku!!!!

philip,
on his iPad, with all four Paws intact, in the BoonDocks...

I've never even heard of it. I'll check it out.

I sat in the waiting room for an hour after my appointment was supposed to start yesterday at the Hillsboro clinic, then I finally left. The lady at the desk said, "maybe she's busy."

The best part of the VA is that there's no one to complain to when you get screwed over.

I work at the VA and they are definitely making changes for the good. They have the ability to keep up with the times and it's nice to have good communication with and for my fellow Vets.

I sat in the waiting room for an hour after my appointment was supposed to start yesterday at the Hillsboro clinic, then I finally left. The lady at the desk said, "maybe she's busy."

The best part of the VA is that there's no one to complain to when you get screwed over.

What he said.

II cannot think of one single good thing to say about them. Not one. On the other hand I am sincerely happy things are working out well for my fellow veterans and I am sorry you ever had to be hurt to begin with. I wish the world could find a better way than wholesale slaughter to solve its problems.

The Patient's Advocate is who you complain to. When my messaging to my doctor was pigeon holed by some CNA, I called the PA. 5 minutes later I had an RN calling me apologizing, saying she never saw the messages. Had an appointment the next day.

That's not satisfactory.

There are three really good ways to make your complaint heard
1) Call the main number 503-220-8262, then press zero for the operator. Ask to be transferred to the Patient Advocate. The Patient Advocates report directly to the Portland VA (Hillsboro is an outpatient clinic) Director.

2) If you get no satisfaction, call the main number above and again speak to the Operator. Ask to be transferred to the Director. You may not necessarily speak to the Director, but you will speak to one of his staff who will inquire with the Patient Advocates.

3) If you still get no satisfaction, write directly to your Congressional Representative or Senator. They will investigate on your behalf (even not getting action through the PA or Director will be investigated) and report their findings to you. This will usually result in what is known internally as a "Congressional". The Director personally gets the Congressional and acts on it initially by determining which office is responsible for the situation. A response to the inquiring Conressperson will be written by this person or the person with best knowledge and the Director will be held accountable for that response. Congressionals are extremely uncomfortable for the Medical Center, and too many of them or unsatisfactory responses will get a lot of unwanted attention.

I work at the VA and they are definitely making changes for the good. They have the ability to keep up with the times and it's nice to have good communication with and for my fellow Vets.

The survey at the end if taken is all about trying to make the site better.
In the comment area, I made a suggestion and an inquiry and that was about 3 Am, a day and a half later i had a letter explaining what I was asking and it came snail mail. That kind of spooked me in a good way :) My doctor always responds in the same day or at least the next morning. I have yet to date experienced any of the issues some here have, buit I have not had to go through any really serious surgeries of treatments either. how can things be so much different for different people?

To me, that is the million dollar question. How can some have relatively good experiences and others have endless horrible experiences ? I do not think I expect too much from them, as some might assume. I dont have experiences like these in any other area of my life. I dont think Im a crackpot or blowhard. Frankly most people either think I am exagerating or dont believe me at all. My wife said she wouldnt have believed it if she hadnt seen it for herself. I have been keeping a detailed journal of events, someday I hope to publish it, not that it will help.

To me, that is the million dollar question. How can some have relatively good experiences and others have endless horrible experiences ? I do not think I expect too much from them, as some might assume. I dont have experiences like these in any other area of my life. I dont think Im a crackpot or blowhard. Frankly most people either think I am exagerating or dont believe me at all. My wife said she wouldnt have believed it if she hadnt seen it for herself. I have been keeping a detailed journal of events, someday I hope to publish it, not that it will help.

Have you tried the Patient Advocate?

My most recent patient advocate experience is the latest chapter in my journal. Unbelievable just like the rest. Catch-22 again. Was scheduled for a surgery last year to correct a previous surgery. Showed up for surgery and learned my doctor had taken seriously ill. Months went by and no word from anyone about a new surgery date or different doctor. Finally got in to see another surgeon (resident) who summarily decided I didnt need surgery and referred to plastic surgery who didnt even know why I was there. Went to patient advocate at this point who heard me out and apologized all over herself and got me an appt with the original surgeon. (who was now back to work)
Showed up for appt with original doctor who I saw in the hallway. Was called to exam room for appt. Was met by yet another resident and did not get to see or talk to original surgeon. Instead was referred to pain clinic where A: Ive already been through all this charade the same way over another matter, and B: never called me to schedule appt. either. So I call the pain clinic ( although Im not sure why as this is not a pain issue) and guess what? They have no idea who I am or why Im calling. Big surprise there, eh?
Anyway this is how it goes for me up there. Every single time.

There are plenty of people at the VA who really care. Most of them are Veterans themselves, I would suggest contacting an outside veterans group like VFW or down my way we have the Douglas County Veterans forum who actively protest for vets to the surrounding hospital because like most politicians the hospitals upper management only cares about the numbers.

That's not satisfactory.

There are three really good ways to make your complaint heard
1) Call the main number 503-220-8262, then press zero for the operator. Ask to be transferred to the Patient Advocate. The Patient Advocates report directly to the Portland VA (Hillsboro is an outpatient clinic) Director.

2) If you get no satisfaction, call the main number above and again speak to the Operator. Ask to be transferred to the Director. You may not necessarily speak to the Director, but you will speak to one of his staff who will inquire with the Patient Advocates.

3) If you still get no satisfaction, write directly to your Congressional Representative or Senator. They will investigate on your behalf (even not getting action through the PA or Director will be investigated) and report their findings to you. This will usually result in what is known internally as a "Congressional". The Director personally gets the Congressional and acts on it initially by determining which office is responsible for the situation. A response to the inquiring Conressperson will be written by this person or the person with best knowledge and the Director will be held accountable for that response. Congressionals are extremely uncomfortable for the Medical Center, and too many of them or unsatisfactory responses will get a lot of unwanted attention.

If someone has to go to that much trouble, wouldn't it be like arguing with the cook before he cooks your meal..........:confused:

For ALL VA Medical appointments, NOTICE:

You Are Expected to be there 15 Minutes Early, for the scheduling to get to the Doctor, so it is also policy, that If you do not see That Med Provider within FIFTEEN MINUTES, past the appointed time to meet....

GO TO THE WINDOW, speak to the Receptionist, and say that you Have Not Been Seen, is there a Delay?????

be nice, be Affirmative, but see your appointed Doctor !!!!!

And gentlemen... I need To say this... Talk PM with those here, who are Veterans, to VENT ...

I have not PM'd Taku, when he did not respond... And I will say this.... I was just about to go down hill, fast, when I got a little PM Help from Taku... he saved my butt. Big Time.

If we, as Veterans, do Not Support each other, WHO WILL ????????

I was able to reply to Taku, and we did Back Channel...

But I did not tell him, that I was crashing... ~I may not have realized it~ But I do realize that, today... It is never Too Late to say thank you.... And to say, I am there if you need your Six covered.

philip,
who was in "Bunker 3Alpha", all night long, little real sleep.

Bunker 3Alpha, was the worst of our Bunker Line... No one wanted it, no one did it "twice in a Row" and is how I describe... A bad night, here at home.

Thank you Taku, for having my back... Any time you need it... i am there.

If someone has to go to that much trouble, wouldn't it be like arguing with the cook before he cooks your meal..........:confused:

Two phone calls and a letter? Yes, its too much trouble only because you should not have had to do it to begin with. If this was your regular doctor all you would have to do is to take your money elsewhere. The VA is different in that you paid for it all up front by your service. Treatment is a debit you are owed, and unfortunately when you have already paid what incentive is there to provide you service?

For ALL VA Medical appointments, NOTICE:

You Are Expected to be there 15 Minutes Early, for the scheduling to get to the Doctor, so it is also policy, that If you do not see That Med Provider within FIFTEEN MINUTES, past the appointed time to meet....

GO TO THE WINDOW, speak to the Receptionist, and say that you Have Not Been Seen, is there a Delay?????

be nice, be Affirmative, but see your appointed Doctor !!!!!

And gentlemen... I need To say this... Talk PM with those here, who are Veterans, to VENT ...

I have not PM'd Taku, when he did not respond... And I will say this.... I was just about to go down hill, fast, when I got a little PM Help from Taku... he saved my butt. Big Time.

If we, as Veterans, do Not Support each other, WHO WILL ????????

I was able to reply to Taku, and we did Back Channel...

But I did not tell him, that I was crashing... ~I may not have realized it~ But I do realize that, today... It is never Too Late to say thank you.... And to say, I am there if you need your Six covered.

philip,
who was in "Bunker 3Alpha", all night long, little real sleep.

Bunker 3Alpha, was the worst of our Bunker Line... No one wanted it, no one did it "twice in a Row" and is how I describe... A bad night, here at home.

Thank you Taku, for having my back... Any time you need it... i am there.

It was a simple thing.
I pray you get the service you deserve by that route. I had not thought about it before, but the bew system of communication has been very effective for me, and kind of thought, prior that folks knew about it. But I see many have not.
Hey, if we dont have each others backs, no one else will.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top