JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got a package delivered by usps day before yesterday.

It was too big to fit in the mailbox, so they left it propped up against my RFD mailbox post - outside my unlocked gate.

Better than a notice to have to go to the post office to pick it up...I guess.

However, out here in the country we do a lot of shooting. Gunshots mostly heard on week-ends, but some folks shoot a couple of times during the week too. Generally, shooting sessions last an hour sometimes two. We have no burglaries or porch pirates so far and we lived in this area for 14 years with nary a crime of any kind that I'm aware of and I'm pretty well informed about the neighborhood.

A few weeks ago we had what looked like some suspicious characters at neighbors house. Turns out they were not criminals.

The 'free shipping' argument reminds of: Buy 3 bars of soap, get the 4th one free.

Nope, it's 4 bars of soap for .25 cents each.

No such thing as free...

Just be lucky they didn't send via SmartPost. Talk about torture. I track packages that eventually wind up in Troutdale where they sit for a couple of days, then go up to Federal Way for a couple of days before they will make
It back down to Beaverton. Sad that somebody actually got paid to come up with that plan.

Just be lucky they didn't send via SmartPost. Talk about torture. I track packages that eventually wind up in Troutdale where they sit for a couple of days, then go up to Federal Way for a couple of days before they will make
It back down to Beaverton. Sad that somebody actually got paid to come up with that plan.
That freakin drives me nuts.:mad:

Smartpost (and it's UPS counterpart Surepost) are the spawn of the devil. 31 days for a
package from Federal Way to Oregon, and that's the one that didn't disappear completely!

USPS First class and Flat rate has been pretty good. Usually a couple of days, even from the East coast. USPS Parcel Post---not so much. 5-7 days seems typical.

Smartpost (and it's UPS counterpart Surepost) are the spawn of the devil. 31 days for a
package from Federal Way to Oregon, and that's the one that didn't disappear completely!

USPS First class and Flat rate has been pretty good. Usually a couple of days, even from the East coast. USPS Parcel Post---not so much. 5-7 days seems typical.
I forgot about Surepost. Sometimes ebay cheapskates will use one of those two. I generally use USPS priority, but it seems like they jack the price up every few months. It's ridiculous but dependable.

I feel you @Lazyfaire I have a scope I ordered off Dvor aka Optics Planet something like two weeks ago. Still waiting for it.

Why does Amazon advertise 2 day shipping (Prime Member) when 90% of what I order takes 4-5 days to receive.

That I would have to ask them, may take some hoop jumping but, I would try to find out. Something is wrong. We have been Prime members for so long I forgot when we started. Now a majority of what we buy is same day or next day. Very rare they screw up and seem to lose something for a while.
Now you do need to look at the cart before you hit buy. Some stuff will say 2 day but if I order it today it may show it will be here Tues. Because Amazon knows it will not ship till Monday. So if at the cart, before you hit buy, it is showing will be to you on Saturday, and it shows up on Wednesday, something is going on with shippers. I would be watching the item after you order, see what it going on. Start documenting the tracking on items. When there is no explanation of why something is just sitting for days, then get with them with order #s and find out what is happening. Also is it only one shipper, or is it like this no matter who they ship with?
USPS has long had some problems now and then. Here they hire a lot of "contract" help that is not paid well and you get what you pay for.
FedEx has as of a few years ago also really fallen apart. Not sure what happened to them. They used to be great. For years now they have become amazing at how they can screw stuff up.

I forgot about Surepost. Sometimes ebay cheapskates will use one of those two. I generally use USPS priority, but it seems like they jack the price up every few months. It's ridiculous but dependable.

I don't buy much on Ebay any more but when I do I check for that. If it is going to ship with either of those damn things I just will not bother. If it's something I really want I have a few times asked the seller. Is there a way to just send Priority mail. I will gladly pay. That sure post and Smart post is amazing to watch. Stuff will get to the nearest city, then sit there for multiple days not moving.

Why does Amazon advertise 2 day shipping (Prime Member) when 90% of what I order takes 4-5 days to receive.

I used to run a part time computer repair business and used Amazon prime frequently for parts. I quit prime in disgust when they/many shippers started using USPS for 'last mile' delivery. I think this is what causes most delays; they use UPS/FedEx to your city, and then it takes forever once the post office gets their hands on it. After having to tell too many customers their repair would be delayed I just gave up on them for time critical deliveries.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top