JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know where you are, but in Clackamas County, the jury candidates assemble in a room separate of the courthouse, though I can't recall if the rule applies there because it's just a commercial building down the street.

I would think the separate building would be off limits for carrying as well. The ORS 166.370 quoted above says "court facility." The definition of court facility in ORS 166.360 is:

"Court facility means a courthouse or that portion of any other building occupied by a circuit court, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court or the Oregon Tax Court or occupied by personnel related to the operations of those courts, or in which activities related to the operations of those courts take place."

Jury candidate assembly could easily be argued to be a court operation related activity.

My local county courthouse is two story and all jury/court business is on the second level, plainly marked NO FIREARMS. The lower floor is county business and not firearms restricted. There are lockers on the lower level and jail office to store firearms if needed. This is Washington and I believe it is a common setup. Call your courthouse and politely ask them what the arrangements are.
My courthouse was 3 floors and the courts were on the top floor but weapons, including pocket knifes, were restricted in the whole building, regardless if you were not even going to get close to the courts.

Last jury duty forgot about the Kimber mace-blaster in my backpack until the last minute. Multnomah.

So I just laid it bare on the scanner belt, and went through the metal detector myself.

Passed right through, inspector either did not care or notice.

When I was called in WashCo, we couldn't set foot into the building until we'd taken off coats & shoes and padded through the metal detector in the freezing cold. It was far more intrusive than the TSA ritual at the airport. Tiny pocket knife? What are you, a durned terrrist?

I can imagine a judge deciding that a CCW is okay - for himself, not for us mere mortals.

Another vote here for the Fully Informed Jury Assoc.
http://fija.org/
Serving is probably the most significant influence any of us can have on the legislative process.

The fact that judges and prosecutors hate jury nullification so passionately and universally is the real proof of its power and importance to the citizenry...
...and it makes me wonder how voir dire is going to go at the trials of the Malheur gang.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top