JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last Saturday we took a trip out to the City of Ely, home of a magnificent old cathedral, and found that the little market had been set up - although somewhat reduced for obvious reasons. I always look at the old tool stall there, just in case there is some kind of special purpose piece of tool hardware that I've never heard of, or seen before. This caught my eye in a tray full of old taps and dies - even a few taper reamers [which I bought, as they had a fine ring to them].

1597174602310.png

The stallholder had not the faintest idea what kind of cases were being mentioned on the packaging, but THIS boy knew. How much for this? Well, he said, if you can tell me what it is, you have have it for a pound [$1.34]. I told him, and bemused by it all, he took my pound and handed it over.

Inside there are obviously parts missing that I know not of, but I'll figure that out, I'm sure.

1597174763437.png

Even the fixing bolts are there, but no nuts. Nuts!

It has to be THE bargain of the year so far, eh? What do you think?

Last Saturday we took a trip out to the City of Ely, home of a magnificent old cathedral, and found that the little market had been set up - although somewhat reduced for obvious reasons. I always look at the old tool stall there, just in case there is some kind of special purpose piece of tool hardware that I've never heard of, or seen before. This caught my eye in a tray full of old taps and dies - even a few taper reamers [which I bought, as they had a fine ring to them].

View attachment 734409

The stallholder had not the faintest idea what kind of cases were being mentioned on the packaging, but THIS boy knew. How much for this? Well, he said, if you can tell me what it is, you have have it for a pound [$1.34]. I told him, and bemused by it all, he took my pound and handed it over.

Inside there are obviously parts missing that I know not of, but I'll figure that out, I'm sure.

View attachment 734410

You've got a sharp eye! I thought that it was a circumcision device!

Not only a great deal but a cool story! Did the owner of the stand have any comments on where he acquired it since he did not know what it was for? Cool find.

Love the Redding equipment.
That green krinkle finish adds a fine ambiance to the loading bench !

Truth be known, I'd rather have an L.E. Wilson case trimmer.
Keep yer eyes peeled for one of those.
They are a thing of beauty.

Not only a great deal but a cool story! Did the owner of the stand have any comments on where he acquired it since he did not know what it was for? Cool find.

Not a clue. He has a lot of tools for which only the guy who used it knew what it was for, this being a heavily agricultural community in rural Cambridgeshire. Take a look on Google Earth at Ely and its environs and you'll see what I mean. I swear that half to three-quarters of the odd-looking handtools in Ramsey Rural museum came from him over the years...he couldn't remember where it came from either, but please bear in mind that we have a large US population around here from RAF Lakenheath and Mildenhall and Molesworth - totalling around 35,000 or so. Any one of them might have brought it with him so's he could carry on reloading, unaware that the chances of doing it here in UK as a short-term 'visitor' was unlikely in the extreme.

View attachment 734409

View attachment 734410

Hey, I've got one of those....

Screenshot_20200812-074648.png

Pretty neat find. Ely is practically next door (well, by American standards; no doubt you know the old saying) to my old ancestral home of Halstead, but I missed seeing the cathedral when I was there.

Pretty neat find. Ely is practically next door (well, by American standards; no doubt you know the old saying) to my old ancestral home of Halstead, but I missed seeing the cathedral when I was there.

Hmm, Ely cathedral is pretty hard to miss. When I used to sit in my office at RAF Wyton I could clearly see it from 26 miles across the fens.......

1597251983609.png

Most of us will take luck over skill any day. But, you seem to have combined both! Also, if you can determine which parts are MIA, Redding has been very good to me, comping me a small part - no questions asked.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top