JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since she's had some training for things like this, my hunch is she would have let him leave. Although where she lives she probably could have done the three S's and nobody would have been the wiser.;)

I applaud her, all went well. Just wondering if a command of( GET OUT!), might be safer than, (STAY STILL, GET DOWN ON THE GROUND!)? On the ground sweating it out the punk has time to think, might get twitchy, etc., she might of had to shoot and go through the legal nightmare of explaining how her life was in danger not to mention a bloody mess in her house.
Don't get me wrong, I feel she would of been justified had he moved out of position or reached in his pocket etc., just thinking GET OUT! would have been easier.

I applaud her, all went well. Just wondering if a command of( GET OUT!), might be safer than, (STAY STILL, GET DOWN ON THE GROUND!)? On the ground sweating it out the punk has time to think, might get twitchy, etc., she might of had to shoot and go through the legal nightmare of explaining how her life was in danger not to mention a bloody mess in her house.
Don't get me wrong, I feel she would of been justified had he moved out of position or reached in his pocket etc., just thinking GET OUT! would have been easier.
Once he committed the violent felony of breaking into a home...particularly a home occupied by a single woman who has already called 911 for help...she wouldnt have had to "prove" anything and the law as well as public opinion would be 100% on her side if she had made the decision to pull the trigger. His life was forfeit the moment she drew down on him and he knew it. He is alive only because she chose to allow him to live.

Watching the interview with the woman, I couldnt help but notice her accent; she is either from the UK or Australia/NZ. Its a good thing she is now in a country where armed self defense is a right instead of a privelege reserved for the wealthy and politically connected.

To follow up on post #4

When giving commands - tell someone what to do. Do not tell them what not to do.
Don't Move - gets confused in the situation. Stand, stay, stop.

How many times in cop shows/movies do you hear - - "don't move" followed by "get on the ground" or "hands up" which is it, don't move or move?

Every situation is different, I would want to eliminate the threat as quick as possible. If he's near an exit and I can see he appears unarmed, he might get a command to get out.
The only problem with that is he could, if carrying a gun, take cover and try and shoot you for your kindness!
He might be a career criminal that can't afford witnesses. She probably did everything her instructors taught her to do and I guess if he never listened to her 1st command she would have to make a quick judgment on if he was trying to escape or do her harm.
I'd be curious if her instructors teach shoot or try to "hold at gunpoint till cops arrive" as the only options she has?
Anybody here been through the Oregon Firearms Academy Course she went through?

Every situation is different, I would want to eliminate the threat as quick as possible. If he's near an exit and I can see he appears unarmed, he might get a command to get out.
The only problem with that is he could, if carrying a gun, take cover and try and shoot you for your kindness!
He might be a career criminal that can't afford witnesses. She probably did everything her instructors taught her to do and I guess if he never listened to her 1st command she would have to make a quick judgment on if he was trying to escape or do her harm.
I'd be curious if her instructors teach shoot or try to "hold at gunpoint till cops arrive" as the only options she has?
Anybody here been through the Oregon Firearms Academy Course she went through?

Well here is my .02 cents. I have personally taken classes out at Oregon Firearms Academy and what they taught me is invaluable. Honestly I feel it is extremely hard to answer your question of shoot or hold at gunpoint until cops get there. OFA ( Oregon Firearms Academy ) gives you the tools and the mindset to make the decision. This is one of those questions that is extremely hard to answer over a forum due to so much info that needs to go into the answer. It honestly is not just a shoot or hold at gunpoint. There are so many other options ( depending on the situation and the person ) between shoot and hold at gunpoint. And to tell you the truth it could varies from person to person.

To give you a little background when I first started looking at handguns and was determined to get my CHL I put in a tremendous amount of time researching everything I could possibly find out about different places to train. I went to every gun shop I could find and asked multiple people behind the counter who they would recommend going to. What I found was there were classes offered from ma and pa putting it on at there house all the way to established companies putting CHL classes on. Classes ranged from a 1 hour video at ma and pa house to 8 hours of training for other classes.
I remember walking into a gun shop looking at some guns and asking the gentleman behind the counter if he cold recommend any places to get training that would qualify me to obtain my CHL. He directed me to the end of the counter where he gave me a handout that read Oregon Firearms Academy. I told him thank you and went on my way. By the time I was done hitting every place I could I sat down and started looking through all the pamphlets, brochures, pages, etc trying to figure out who I thought would be the best fit for me to do my training with. I tried really hard to give each and every one a non bias shot but I kept coming back to the OFA handout.
Here was my criteria that I was looking for:

I wanted a place that I could train at to obtain my CHL.
I wanted a place that had a high instructor to student ratio so I could get that one on one training
I wanted a place that could take my training to a whole new level
I wanted a place that had quality instructors who new what they were doing
I wanted a place that not only could offer me my CHL training but a place that offered much more to continue my training.

And that came back to OFA. So I called the main office and made it on the schedule for the CHL class. I couldn't wait to get there. I couldn't wait to shoot. I couldn't wait to get my CHL. Finally the day came and I pulled up to OFA. As I came onto the property I was directed where to park and was greeted by one of the instructors. They introduced themselves and gave me the tour. Once inside I grabbed my name tag and sat down ready to eagerly learn. Dan Abbott was our instructor for the classroom portion and did a great job making us feel as an equal. The team introduced themselves and we all introduced ourselves. ( No PowerPoint presentation needed to introduce ourselves Dan told us) I loved it. Humor goes a long way in my book. After introductions were finished we went right into it. Talk about a real eye opener. I couldn't believe all the ah ya moments I had and all the light bulbs going off in my head. So much great information. What I loved about the class the most is OFA gave you the tools that you need to make the decisions instead of saying if a threat does this shoot them and if a threat does that hold them at gun point. Life is ( in my opinion) not black and white there happens to be a lot grey area to every situation. They give you the tools so you are able to make the appropriate choice because every situation is unique and no situations is the same. Only you can choose to make the choices you have chosen.

At no time also did I feel that they ever talked down to me. All of the instructors talked to you not down at you and made it enjoyable. You could tell the instructors were a tight nit family and they enjoyed teaching. Also it was nice that every instructor played a role. It wasn't a training facility that had 1 or 2 super stars and the rest were spectators. To me that was huge. I had a chance to get every instructors perspective and teachings instead of just one person. It was like having multiple one on one personal instructors. Once we finished up in the classroom we headed out onto the range. I was ready. I knew how to shoot ( Or at least I thought I did ) this was going to be a breeze. Once out on the line I found out there was a big difference between recreational shooting and defensive shooting. I had a lot to learn. I had a chance to learn new skills and apply them. By the end of the day I had a grin from ear to ear and couldn't wait to come back to take other classes. To be around all the instructors with all there knowledge that they would share with all of us was priceless. All the time and money was well worth it. That is why I took the Basic Handgun Class 3 times. It was that good. Like I say just my 02 cents. If anyone can ever make it out to OFA for training you wont be disappointed. It is a great experience with great training.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top