JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I'm fairly new to handguns and have shot the Taurus Judge for a home defense gun. I started researching on the internet and read stories on quite a few forums where they had problems with 410 shells jamming. Plus a lot of other issues such as slow response to get the gun returned when it was sent in for repair and then it coming back damaged.

I'm reading good things about the S & W version and I would greatly appreciate your thoughts before I buy. I'm a small framed woman with slight arthritis in my hands. I shot the Judge without any problem and felt like the 410/45 gun might be a good alternative to a shotgun.

Do you have any other suggestions for a home defense gun? I bought a 380 Barretta for concealed carry. Thank you. I greatly appreciate your imput.

Thank you Tomoizle. I just finished watching a video made by a guy who works in a gun shop. He was showing the Mossberg and explained how it differed from the Remington. Now with your recommendation I'll look for the Mossberg. He also advised getting the added shell holder for the side of the gun, a sling and heat shield. Thank you!

If you have arthritus a 12 guage will be a very stiff and powerful shotgun to use and may cause you severe pain in hands and wrist. However, a short barrel shotgun, pump or sem-auto should be considered; racking a pump may be an arthritic problem but not with an automatic. You could look at a 20 guage and someone put out a 410 guage home defense shot gun and I think that was a pump action-maybe Mossberg. I've always like a semi-auto .22 loaded with hollow point ammo for some women. Knowing how to use a .22 auto with back up clips is a nice way to go. There may be 22 magnums in semi auto that may work, but grip size will effect your choice. Depending on your size that may dictate your recoil comfort level as well as handling of the firearm. Some small pump shot guns are made for "youth" and these work well for lesser statue women.

Recoil is something that needs to be experienced and evaluated on your own, not by 2nd hand reports. Each person has a different level of acceptance regardless of age and gender. Also, starting small and moving up might be better.

I used to have a very nice auto loading 12 gauge Benelli SBE II. Some would consider it one of the best at reducing recoil for the shooter. I could shoot a box of magnum 3 1/2 goose loads through it with little trouble in a morning.

One day my 60 year old mother in law wanted to shoot it so I loaded one (1) standard 2 ¾ target load up for her and let her take a shot. It knocked her off balance and left a bruise on her shoulder and she complained about shoulder and neck pain for weeks to my wife. It was a mistake on my part, but I really didn’t think it kicked much at all with the target loads.

I'm not trying to discourage you from the 12 gauge as it’s a great idea, just you need to know that it’s all very subjective. Same thing goes for the pistols.

Thank you sprocket for your insight to the 12 guage. I'm the same age as your mother in law so I would have similar issues with the recoil. I bought a 380 Barretta for hand carry because at the range I held a 9mm and 357 in the aim position for awhile before I shot a second round of ammo through them. After holding for that length of time, my aim was way off. But it held with the 380.

I'm in good shape but after watching some videos on the 410, 12 and 20 guage they do have a lot of kick. I shot both 410s and 12 gauges when I was young and hunting but after seeing the kick again, I don't think I could do that anymore. My feeling is that it's better to have a smalller gun and be accurate than a big gun you can't hold for long enough to aim accurately. The 22 in the videos looked like it would be manageable. Appreciate the insight. Thanks

Thank you sprocket for your insight to the 12 guage. I'm the same age as your mother in law so I would have similar issues with the recoil. I bought a 380 Barretta for hand carry because at the range I held a 9mm and 357 in the aim position for awhile before I shot a second round of ammo through them. After holding for that length of time, my aim was way off. But it held with the 380.

I'm in good shape but after watching some videos on the 410, 12 and 20 guage they do have a lot of kick. I shot both 410s and 12 gauges when I was young and hunting but after seeing the kick again, I don't think I could do that anymore. My feeling is that it's better to have a smalller gun and be accurate than a big gun you can't hold for long enough to aim accurately. The 22 in the videos looked like it would be manageable. Appreciate the insight. Thanks

I would guess if you have shot them before you would be fine with a 20 guage. Practice with light loads and get some heavy loads to keep in the closet. I don't think you will feel the kick in a self defense situation. Just make sure you know how to use the gun and have shot it a few times.

Forget the .22 though. I have seen bunny rabbits take .22 and not slow down much.

Having shot all the above I would not recommend the 380 for anyone with bad arthritis. it has a sharper recoil then you expect.

As to the 22 not slowing bunnys. The 22 has killed more people then any other handgun.
I would personally suggest a 22 magnum for a home defense pistol for you. What most fail to mention is the fact that you have to be reasonable proficent with your pistol for home defense. A shotgun is more forgiving, and does not take take as much practice but still takes practice.
Take some fresh baked cookies to the range. you will have all kinds of really good help.

Thanks Mark. I did real well with the Barretta 380 down at the range. The recoil might get worse with time but was sure a lot better than the 9mm I shot. I have not tried the 22 magnum. My sister shot with the 22 growing up while I took the 410. She shot a few squirrels with it so the pistol might be okay. I'll give it a try. Thanks. And I'll take some cookies!

Hi XM hey thanks for the thought. When I shot the 357 before it was with the shot made for the gun. No one told me to try the 38s in it. Looks like I need to head back to the range and do some more shooting with the 22 magnum and the 357 again. The 357 was recoiling on me quite a bit so my aim was way off. I was shooting a Ruger I believe and it felt good in my hand, but the recoil was nasty. Sounds like the 38 might be the answer. Thank you for the idea.

Thanks Titson for posting these. After a couple of the posts, I started researching online for reviews of the Judge and S&W. The reviews were not good for the Judge. The S& W were some better but a lot of folks feel like you that these guns are a gimmick and a disaster waiting to happen.

I should have done the research to start but I have gotten some valuable insights so I'm grateful I posted. I need to head back to the range and do more shooting. Thank you!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top