JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I didn't see anyone post about this earlier, sorry if this is a repeat of this information.

Anyone following the fight in D.C. knows that after the 2008 Heller ruling by the Supreme Court, the District of Columbia, once of the most anti-gun places in the country, has been writing and re-writing laws to make it virtually impossible for any private citizen to own and carry a firearm for protection.

According to the article, the Second Amendment Foundation filed a lawsuit against the city to get the ban stricken. They brought on the same attorney that fought and won the Heller case as well as won the 2010 case in Chicago.

In short, the ruling states that the current ban on handguns outside the home violates the 2nd amendment and cites the 2008 and 2010 cases as precedent.

Now for my commentary, I certainly expect this isn't over in D.C. There's no way that the very anti-gun police chief, mayor and others in D.C. will accept this ruling as final. Undoubtedly, there will be appeals filed in very short order. What's interesting to me is that the Constitution grants authority over all matters for D.C. to the Congress, who may choose to dole out that responsibility to local governing bodies if they choose. It would appear Congress is in no big hurry to try and protect the rights of the citizens of D.C. since they are allowing those local governing bodies to walk all over those rights. Just another good reason why, when November comes, we need to make sure our votes come with a loud reminder to all members of Congress (regardless of party) that we won't allow our rights, whether in D.C. or any other location, to be eroded.

Here is the article for your review:

http://news.msn.com/us/judge-strikes-down-dc-ban-on-handguns-outside-home

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top