JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Judge immergut who will be presiding over measure 114 legality is not a friend to gun owners. So expect the worst.

20221128_150530.jpg

I fail to see anything there that would convince me of her stance on 2A one way or the other. I do see her concern for violating the Code of Conduct as perhaps showing her morals and ethics are intact, and that's way ahead of a lot of judges.

I see that as self-protective boiler plate; it's reasonable, to my mind, to say 'I will not discuss things which may come before my court'.

Proper time for those discussions is in the opinions she may write.

Not knowing when that was written/asked.......
BUT, But, but.......
Why ask/talk/question/try to get a response about the Heller decision? OK. IF......there was a date attached (like prior to Bruen).

BUT, But, but......
The newest standard is Bruen. Anyway......yeah. Acting all "non-committed" to giving an answer is SAFE.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I fail to see anything there that would convince me of her stance on 2A one way or the other. I do see her concern for violating the Code of Conduct as perhaps showing her morals and ethics are intact, and that's way ahead of a lot of judges.
Agree. Need a lot more info than that to say which way that judge leans imo. I would hope that the people that filed the injunction chose the most favorable court they could (they would be brain-dead if they did not). I don't know much about how they can choose though. There must be a reason why they wanted it heard in Pendleton.

Looks like those Q's came in her nomination. Probably the right answer in that setting IMO.

Here are all the questions:

Last Edited:
Judge raised in New york
College amherst which is super left
Law school berkeley
Life time democrat till democrats did not put her on the bench.

While she states in her other questions she cannot answer. She did answer on heller stating the state has a right to restrict gun ownership. This is pre NYsRPA vs bruen but you can see her thinking process.

Also she is the federal judge in portland not pendleton.

I have deep concerns. OFF is not competent enough to handle this case

Having watched a couple judicial appointment/confirmation hearings in spring of this year, this sounds like a normal response. However, in the hearings I watched, Republican senators would ask a Biden appointee if they believed in precedent, and if they would uphold certain famous case decisions (listing them), including Roe v. Wade. In response they all said yes, they believe following precedent is important.

Then after that answer, the senator asked if they'd also uphold Heller (because it's precedent). Instead of "yes", the nominees got super dodgy and wouldn't answer the question.

And unless I missed it, I do wish more than one lawsuit would have been filed before the 8th, to try and get a ruling before then. Perhaps there's a tactical or strategic reason for other potential plaintiffs waiting to file.

Section 5A(3)(d) prohibits a candidate for judicial office from making statements that commit the candidate regarding cases, controversies or issues likely to come before the court. As a corollary, a candidate should emphasize in any public statement the candidate's duty to uphold the law regardless of his or her personal views. See also Section 3B(9) and (10), the general rule on public comment by judges. Section 5A(3)(d) does not prohibit a candidate from making pledges or promises respecting improvements in court administration. Nor does this Section prohibit an incumbent judge from making private statements to other judges or court personnel in the performance of judicial duties. This Section applies to any statement made in the process of securing judicial office, such as statements to commissions charged with judicial selection and tenure and legislative bodies confirming appointment. See also Rule 8.2 of the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct.

Like others... I see absolutely nothing in there that indicates pro or anti 2A leanings. Regurgitating back part of the question as "that is what the courts said" and "no comment"... pretty neutral and trying to read too much into nothing in the context of the Q&A. Context is everything.

That said, she was a Trump appointment. History within the blue belt doesn't "always" measure the degree of blue they are. Raised in that environement and close associations... a person tends to stay within their own circles... until they don't. No telling how deep it runs in her, but obviously, not deep enough that abandoning her affiliations didn't seem to pose a problem for her. How much is guilt by association? Dunno.....

It's fun to play mental games and try to play detective examining every minute detail to try and pin meaning on it from our own perspectives, but it's just that. A game and often times does not reflect reality.

My personal take on her? She may not be the champion of our wishes, but she's not their's either. We could have done a hell-a-lot worse and if she simply weights the arguments justly on their merits.. that's good enough for me.

The cards have already been dealt and no point hashing it about "now". ;)

That was in 2018, pre Bruen. And if we are reading tea leaves from that document, she did say she would follow Ninth Circuit and USSC precedent. Bruen is of course one such precedent decided after she wrote those responses.

Judge immergut who will be presiding over measure 114 legality is not a friend to gun owners. So expect the worst.

View attachment 1320746
Is the fact that she refused to comment on the merits of Stevens' dissent, and the USSC decision in Heller supposed to mean something? I've read and briefed thousands of USSC cases and I don't gather anything about her leanings one way or the other from that document.

Judge raised in New york
College amherst which is super left
Law school berkeley
Life time democrat till democrats did not put her on the bench.

While she states in her other questions she cannot answer. She did answer on heller stating the state has a right to restrict gun ownership. This is pre NYsRPA vs bruen but you can see her thinking process.

Also she is the federal judge in portland not pendleton.

I have deep concerns. OFF is not competent enough to handle this case
Standard boilerplate answers in that attachment. I'm assuming the page posted is from her confirmation but it could be anything without citation.

I agree with you on this the last point but it's OFF's legal council, not OFF that is on the hook here now that the ball is in motion. That said, yes, both of them might be in way over their heads. I saw a post in another forum today where a person claimed he got a direct response by phone from NRA/ILA (first I've heard from them regarding 114 litigation but we'll save that for another time) stating that they have a definite plan for legal action, but not until after the law takes effect. I'm guessing other organizations are in line with that approach as well. Either OFF jumped the gun and f'd up the whole plan, or will save the day by being preemptive. We may Never know.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top