JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The families are vowing to appeal to a higher court, to allow the lawsuit to continue. Here is another report:

Judge Dismisses Sandy Hook Families' Lawsuit Against Gun Maker

The families also have a civil lawsuit pending against the school district too. Three months ago they offered to settle their lawsuit with the district for only $11 Million. However, the school district refused to accept the deal, and that lawsuit is now going to go to trial.

In addition, the families already won a lawsuit of $1.5 million against the estate of Nancy Lanza, the Newtown shooter's mother. $1.5 million was the entire value of her estate, so her two other children received nothing from their mother's estate. Besides killing all of the students at the Sandy Hook school, the shooter also murdered his mother first.

So it seems that the families want to blame everyone for this incident taking place. The mother of the shooter was responsible for the deaths. The school was responsible for the deaths. And Remington Arms Co. was responsible too.

Everyone seems to have been at fault, except for the shooter himself.

If this appeal gets to an Appeals Court with some liberal judges on it, we could very well eventually seeing this lawsuit against Remington proceed.

I don't think they can win an appeal but you just don't know. I feel for them. They want to punish someone and make sense if it. However it clearly is not the gun makers responsibility.

I hate our culture of blame. The shooter is the only one at fault here. I'm really sorry it happened and I feel for the losses, but bubblegumming deal with it.

Judge dismisses Sandy Hook families' lawsuit against gun maker
Judge Dismisses Sandy Hook Families' Lawsuit Against Gun Maker

"HARTFORD, Conn. – A judge on Friday dismissed a wrongful-death lawsuit by Newtown families against the maker of the rifle used in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting massacre, citing an embattled federal law that shields gun manufacturers from most lawsuits over criminal use of their products."

"The judge agreed with attorneys for Madison, North Carolina-based Remington that the lawsuit should be dismissed under the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which was passed by Congress in 2005 and shields gun makers from liability when their firearms are used in crimes."

So now that they did not get their way they are drawing up a bill to remove that law so that they can get their way. Will it never end?

The only good thing is that it has set a precedence for future law suits. (I Hope)

Grieving or not, I'm never ceased to be amazed at how SMALL people can be in their thinking.... :rolleyes:

Someday the barriers that keep all that "emotional insanity" at bay are going to be torn down, and the "locusts" are going to POUR IN and devour EVERYTHING in sight. When that's done, they'll go full cannibal. o_O

The guns were locked up. He stole the key them shot her

To me that means the weapons were not secure. How to secure them, I do not know.

Perhaps parents of children with mental disorders should decide not to have weapons in the house? Perhaps only with a keyed & scanned type lock mechanism? Again I do not know.

I do know that if someone really wants to commit a violent act, they will. Doesn't take a firearm to do so, however that is the topic here.

To me that means the weapons were not secure. How to secure them, I do not know.

Perhaps parents of children with mental disorders should decide not to have weapons in the house? Perhaps only with a keyed & scanned type lock mechanism? Again I do not know.

I do know that if someone really wants to commit a violent act, they will. Doesn't take a firearm to do so, however that is the topic here.
It was a cabinet not a safe. My kids are not disturbed that I can tell but they aren't ever getting the combo.

I hear what you are saying and I understand (and possibly agree to an extent), but that is a hell of a slippery slope.

Suing a gun manufacturer for Sandy Hook makes less sense than the Boeing lawsuit for 911.

It was a cabinet not a safe. My kids are not disturbed that I can tell but they aren't ever getting the combo.

I love & trust my kids (which are all adults now) and they even have stuff in them, but NO WAY do they have the combos to the safes (or ever will), except in the event of mine (and the wife's) death. I've left provisions in my affairs for them to obtain those combos, but it's through a simple legal process and going all "Adam Lanza" and "knocking off the old man" to "get the goods" will only get themselves... nothing.

I AM the armorer, in every sense of the word. ;)

Standard legal strategy -- sue everyone.

Years ago a good friend's younger brother, my brother's best friend, broke his back while snowboarding. He was under the influence and wreckless by nature. He landed weird off a jump and never walked again. The family sued everyone! The ski area, ski patrol, first aid staff, ambulance company, life flight, every doctor who saw him, and the college who allowed the outing to be advertised on campus. Their claim was close to 20 million. Even though he was in a wheelchair he got around pretty well, drove, had a job, girlfriend. One night while partying with some buddies he OD'd and never woke up. What I found really shocking was that the family was outraged because the personal injury suit had to be reclassified as a wrongful death suit and wouldn't be as profitable. I was told the final settlement was between 1-2 million. They're all still bitter about the outcome so I don't even talk about him anymore and try to quickly change the subject when it comes up.
It was a tragic event, no question there. But it happened because he was engaging in risky behavior. None of those who were sued (and ultimately paid out) could have changed the outcome of his actions.

I love & trust my kids (which are all adults now) and they even have stuff in them, but NO WAY do they have the combos to the safes (or ever will), except in the event of mine (and the wife's) death. I've left provisions in my affairs for them to obtain those combos, but it's through a simple legal process and going all "Adam Lanza" and "knocking off the old man" to "get the goods" will only get themselves... nothing.

I AM the armorer, in every sense of the word. ;)

Same here. Even my wife would have to dig for the combo - she has access to it, just never has a desire/need to open it. If she wants to see what's inside, she just needs to look when I open it.

I will go to my grave knowing that there are too many starving (sleazebag?) lawyers. That is the only reason these "frivolous" lawsuits happen. I say "frivolous" because some are so blatantly stupid and should never even make a court docket.

An attorney takes the "case", tells the family they are entitled to MILLIONS, the family is angry and wants to go after everyone. The attorney gets 1/3 of any settlements. Family is thinking of "revenge", and the attorney is laughing thinking of the new Bentley, or vacation home, he's going to buy.

If the lawsuit against Remington is ever upheld, there are going to be many lawsuits against automobile manufactures*, and that case will be cited as precedence.

*Think of all the deaths involving automobiles. Drunk driver runs off the road and dies. The family will go after the automobile manufacturer. Or, G_d forbid, the drunk driver runs over/into someone and kills them. Their family will go after the driver, automobile manufacturer, etc. all at the urging of an attorney.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top