JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found the Taurus Judge and S&W Governor and have really thought one of them would be a great gun to buy (home defense plus plinking). I am a bit curious on if they are fun to shoot or just a little to much kick to be really fun. Any first hand experience to pass along before I end up buying one. I have a glock 19 gen 4 and like how it fits my hand and shoots.

I had bought the taurus judge UL CT model, it shot 2 1/2 shells, and of course the 45lc, If I had to do it over I probably would have gone wit the non UL version, it was way too light for that much power. And it wasnt so much the 45, as it was the 410 shells.

Would be curious to see reviews on the governor though

I own a Governor. Great shooter for close range with the .410. I'm talking less than 10'. The advantage is the .45 acp. Shooting with the short round is like shooting any other revolver in the same size.

I would go with the governer over the judge as it also shoots 45 acp. Both of the guns are more of a novelty but would also be enough fun to justify their existence.

Well,for the 45LC,there will be a gap before the bullet gets to the rifling.Not a huge problem but not great for any accuracy.
Then there is the rifling,which isn't the best for a shot gun round.I had a Bond Arms derringer in 45lc/410.Couldn't hit a pop can at 20' with a 410 shot shell.

Not really the best of both worlds as some see it.It's really a huge belly gun
I think your money is better spent else where myself.

YMMV

Never seen much sense in a gun like that, it does look cool though. Saw a guy at a range in Utah shooting one at about 10', little tiny pellets and they were really spread over a silhouette target. Seems to me, you shoot someone with that for self defense that it wouldn't put them down, but they're relly going to hurt, maybe you in court also.

NOW, yesterday at the gun show, one place had a 'RAGING JUDGE". It had an 8" or 10"? barrel, didn't measure. Geeze Louise, the barrel was thick and tall like one of them 454s or something. The thing must have weighed something like 6 pounds. Think that would keep your shot a little tighter?

Mike

If you want a 45 LC there are a LOT better designs out there. The .410 rifled bore handgun is a goofy idea unless you have snake or rat problems

Never seen much sense in a gun like that, it does look cool though. Saw a guy at a range in Utah shooting one at about 10', little tiny pellets and they were really spread over a silhouette target. Seems to me, you shoot someone with that for self defense that it wouldn't put them down, but they're relly going to hurt, maybe you in court also.

NOW, yesterday at the gun show, one place had a 'RAGING JUDGE". It had an 8" or 10"? barrel, didn't measure. Geeze Louise, the barrel was thick and tall like one of them 454s or something. The thing must have weighed something like 6 pounds. Think that would keep your shot a little tighter?

Mike

That one is made to accept the 454 also.Doubt it would be much better for accuracy.
Never seen anyone but newer gunners thinking they were cool.

These guns are being marketed as self-defense weapons which in my opinion is quite irresponsible.

The .410 round was designed for bird and small game hunting in lightweight shotguns. It is not suitable for self defense. The gun itself is overly large and heavy in order to accomodate the .410 round, it only holds 5 rounds instead of 6, and its design precludes the use of speed loaders or strips unless you are using .45 LC which sort of defeats the purpose of the gun in the first place.

I suppose it might be of use for the hiker who wants a "trail gun" that can be loaded with a mix of .45LC and .410 rounds in order to dispatch a wide variety of 2 legged, 4 legged or winged targets....but for home defense the better choice for a gun of that size and weight would be a 4" .357 or .38+P revolver loaded with heavy JHP's, with a couple of speed loaders nearby for quick reloads. And as far as an "anti-carjacking weapon" goes, I would take a handy, lightweight .38+P snubnose any day of the week instead of a bulky, nose-heavy cannon for that purpose.

Thanks for all the input. I talked to a friend as well and he said his dad has a Judge he takes with him when he goes fishing due to a high number of rattle snakes. Since I dont have snakes to contend with I think I will hold off and buy guns with a solid purpose first. If down the road they come up with a better design that is more affected I will look at in the future. I cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on a gun that doesnt really do anything well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top