JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was there acouple a weeks ago. Strange acting fellow came in going about 90 mph .(tweeker) He went to lane # 1 set his bag down and hung his target. he then picked up the first brass bucket and emptyed it into his range bag. Put the bucket down stood around a minute or two twitching annd looking around while chewing imaginary gum. He then picked up the outher bucket and dumped it in his bag. He made a short phone call. Then went out to the table and rearranged things in his bag for awhile as he chicken necked around. Then he left. He was there about 10 minutes.
I mentioned this to management a day or so later,and asked how he got a card . Said probably borrowed it. I told him the approx time and that from what i could make of it he signed in as Damn Preditor.Said he would see what he could find out .

Probably one of the reasons for locked brass box

Hey Guys,

We are still in the process of figuring all of this out. As far as what RoJac said, we did check into the situation. We saw on the security tape that they did dump all the brass into their bag and leave. From what I understand, however, our problem is that we really didn't have a policy as to how much brass each member could take. Therefore, my hands are tied. Also, it would be very difficult to regulate without having someone there all the time.

Everyone always seemed to be so considerate of each other that I never really thought about it. I don't know if it is the current, I know you hear it all day as an excuse for everything but, economic conditions, or what. I hate to see everyone so upset. I even called some of the other clubs to see what they do, and all they said was that we were crazy for letting the members have the brass in the first place. I just don't see it that way. We were fine with the amount of brass that we were getting after the members took what they wanted.

I know there is a soloution out there and we just have to try some stuff and be patient. Those of you who know me know that I really try to do the best I can for the members. Know that I am taking all of your opinions into consideration as we work through this situation.

Thanks,
Jill

I think it's reasonable for people to be able to police and keep their own brass. I shoot it, it generally falls where I see it, and I use RWS brass for reloading, do it's easily identifiable among the more common commercial head stamps that might get mixed in. I check.

What's most concerning to me in this discussion is we've apparently got nepharious characters, tweekers, and others in need of cash in the club where they could easily swipe a firearm if it's left for a second. I've got a family member, soon to be a divorced ex-family member, on meth right now and video surveillance wouldn't mean a thing to him. I'd vote for using the brass to pay for a more secure entry system, perhaps one that uses fingerprint scans instead of mag cards. That sounds really out there, but the technology is pretty mainstream now and would ensure only members gain access. I've also seem members let people in on two occasions who "forgot" their cards. I said something to them personally and accepted their explanation that they'd seen the people there before using the cards. But the probability that someone is going to lose a gun/guns is huge. It's just too tempting to someone in need of their next hit/fix.

Just my suggestion. All others are invited and desired.

Sorry to hear about the problems with the brass. Me, I am loving being a member. I like that the club is only 5 minutes from my house and I can go whenever I want (within the range hours). I have met several people there and have been able to shoot guns I don't own and wanted to try as well as let others use mine. As for the brass, I retain mine but don't go to the buckets. I don't like the idea of someone just emptying them out though. That just is extremely selfish. I hope that is something that can be figured out as far as keeping that from happening.

Thanks for a nice place to shoot. My brother-in-law has come as a guest of mine and is talking about wanting to join, if he can get the money and there is space when he's ready. Keep up the good work! I know I, and my family, appreciate it.

I've been a member for a few months and like the place. I have seen a few people as their getting ready to leave walk over and empty both brass buckets into their range bag. I like the idea of selling the brass back to members for a reasonable price and using the money for club improvements.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

A long time ago, two guys came in, set up, and before they did anything else they dumped both brass buckets into garbage bags. Then they started sweeping up the brass on the floor, including mine, without even asking. I told them to stop and then purposefully spent a good 10 minutes picking through every round they'd swept up looking for my RWS brass. They got really pissed, leading to a discussion about range courtesy and their obvious misperception that being tall and 220 plus pounds meant they could literally throw that weight around. I was nice, polite throughout, and utterly ruined their shooting session. I don't remember seeing either since. I HATE that kind of stuff. All I want to do is enjoy my range session. I'd have to say that happens 95 percent of the time at JCGC, which is why I'm still there 2-3 times a week.

I just spent fifteen minutes at least typing some really good thoughts and when I hit the final button it was gone!

Courtesy, dignity and respect was the basis of it.

Long story short, clean the soap out of the sink after you wash and, if you're a woman, put the seat UP when you're done.

Predominantly male presence!

Wifey

It would seem that the problem stems from the fact that there isn't anyone watching the buckets all the time. And people are doing whatever they want regardless of the rules. In this day of crack heads and dopers of all possible types it's like throwing money all over the flloor and thinking people won't try and steal it. That simply doesn't work.
To a reloader, brass is like gold. Seeing it go to waste or not re used as cartridge brass and reloaded is retarded. It has much more value as reloadable brass then anything else. So my suggestion is:
1. Secure it so it's not being stolen.
2. Sell it by the pound. Either open bidding once a month or set a price high enough to keep the scrappers from taking it to the scrap yard but low enough to make it available to members at a bargain.

I just spent fifteen minutes at least typing some really good thoughts and when I hit the final button it was gone!

Courtesy, dignity and respect was the basis of it.

Long story short, clean the soap out of the sink after you wash and, if you're a woman, put the seat UP when you're done.

Predominantly male presence!

Wifey

I think I love you.

Hey folks Johnson Creek Gun Club is a business! Was a member for 2 years when the owner decided to shorten the hours posted on the agreement that I signed so a fellow could give shooting lessons for profit. I am sure that he profited also, fine, last penny he got from me or my buddy. Remember the word profit, it is not really a "club".

Hey folks Johnson Creek Gun Club is a business! Was a member for 2 years when the owner decided to shorten the hours posted on the agreement that I signed so a fellow could give shooting lessons for profit. I am sure that he profited also, fine, last penny he got from me or my buddy. Remember the word profit, it is not really a "club".
So, the hours used to be longer than 8am to 8pm 365 days a year? (which they are now.) And the 8pm is only when the door locks for final entry. You can shoot until 10pm if you are in by 8pm. How long ago was this issue that you had?

Hey Guys,

First off, we definitely didn't profit from the security companies or the shooting lessons. The instructors paid us approximately double for the membership and that is all. A couple paid a few times for the extra students, but no where near what they were suppossed to. This in no way covered the extra wear and tear on the club since, as many of you know, they had lots of students using the club. The main reasons we lost the security companies is that we wanted a contract where we got regular compensation for the students using the club, we wanted to limit the number of students and times they could use the club, and we had behavior problems with respecting the club members. To be honest, the club is running so much better without them and the members are happier.

The hours are from 8am to 8pm 365 days a year. We changed the hours after we got numerous complaints from neighbors about shooters talking loud in the parking lot late at night. The shooters would stay in the parking lot after hours and talk outside. The neighbors tolerate this behavior better after 8 than after 10. I know the podium still says until 10, but we have been working on so many other issues. It will be changed soon. The club and it's members need to have a good relationship with the neighbors, so we are all happy.

Thanks,
Jill

Even through all of this BS, all you club members should be happy to have management and ownership like you do at JCGC.

I live 3 blocks from the range on 61st & NE Hassalo St. I would join there, simply because it is a short walk from my house. Problem is, they don't return phone calls. I want to hand them my money, but they will not take it. So, if you think a locked brass container is bad, try a locked building, reminiscent of Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory, that no one can even get into.

I wish the best to all of you members, owners and employees of JCGC, even the one that took offense to one of my previous posts. You have a good thing going there. Kip.

I have been a member of Johnson Creek for well over a decade, maybe two. The new owners are more interested in club improvement than the previous owners but their task is huge. One of the requirements of club membership is NRA membership. I just do not know how anyone can be a NRA member and be oblivious to firearm safety but that is an ongoing problem. One good move was the removal of rent-a-cop training. Bring back the calendars.

I live 3 blocks from the range on 61st & NE Hassalo St..

Took me a few times reading your post to understand that you were talking about the Portland Rifle and Pistol Club as being the ones to not return your calls. It originally sounded like you were talking about the Johnson Creek Gun Club and that was not my experience. So when you said "I live 3 blocks from the range on 61st & NE Hassalo St, I didn't read it as, "From the range which is on 61st & Ne Hassalo (Portland Rifle and Pistol Club), I live only three blocks from them. Hopefully others were not as daft as I and read it the correct way. :s0114:

I know the podium still says until 10, but we have been working on so many other issues. It will be changed soon.

Well, that will be a bummer. There have been a few times where I wanted to go but, because I didn't get off work early enough, I could only just get there before 8 and then shoot. If that is taken away, it will definitely make it much harder for me, at least, during the week. But if there are idiots bothering the neighbors and not thinking of them then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hey Guys,

Just a side note, NRA membership is no longer required for membership. We did away with that a long time ago. I don't feel it is our place to make you join the NRA. If you want to, we can sign you up, but it is not necessary. The choice is completely up to the member.

Also, I also thought unklekippy was talking about our club not returning phone calls and I am glad accessbob cleared that up because I was just going to call to make sure the phones were still being checked twice a day. :cool:

Have a good afternoon,
Jill

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews