JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, im kinda bummed but maybe theres a logical reason. I go to my fave gun club Johnson Creek hoping to put a few handloads thru my new XD and mabye score some brass in the process. I walk into these new brass buckets with locks on them and a note saying that the brass is for the janitorial crew. Oh, by the way, nice job on the walls. Things are lookin great there but I digress. So not only are the boxes locked now but I walk into guys dumping the boxes over onto the floor despite the note to get to the brass which is now spread all over the floor as they rifle thru it to find their favorite cal. All while guys are shooting 2 feet in front of them.

There must be a logical explanation why a select few guys on the maintenance crew need tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of cases but I cant think of any. Mabye a rep from the club could chime in. I mean after all it is a club right, shouldnt we share and share alike? We all pay dues, why cant we get at our brothers and sisters in arms leftovers if they dont want them. Mabye if the janitorial crew tumbled all of it and offered it back to the members at amazing prices that would be one thing but I bet thats not going to happen.

Hey, Im at the club twice a week. I usually try to pitch in and help keep the place clean as I think all members should. Id happily clean the toilets or mop the floors in exchange for one of those golden (or probably brass) keys to the bucket. Cmon guys give us reloaders a break.

Would you like some cheese?
Member also, shoot yours, pick up yours, if they aren't yours why do you think you should get them? Kinda whats wrong with the world now, everybody expecting something for free from someone else. If the club rules (which you agreed to when you joined, Andrew spoke them and you read them) state the brass left is for the janitorial service people why do you feel the need to take what is not yours?
Swiss might meet your needs.

Jim

Would you like some cheese?
Member also, shoot yours, pick up yours, if they aren't yours why do you think you should get them? Kinda whats wrong with the world now, everybody expecting something for free from someone else. If the club rules (which you agreed to when you joined, Andrew spoke them and you read them) state the brass left is for the janitorial service people why do you feel the need to take what is not yours?
Swiss might meet your needs.

Jim

What you just said makes no sense. It does not belong to the janitors either so why should they be able to take something that is not theirs?? If that is the story you want to stick to please make sense of it...

Perhaps if you read the agreement that you signed when you joined it would make more sense? You do honor your agreements don't you. It was stated that brass left behind by members was not to be picked up and taken. What is not clear about that?
Does this make sense to you?

Jim

I see no problem if that's in the rules... but I personally think it is a stupid rule, unless the club collects the profits from the scrap run for club activities and such. If not, I'd like a part time job as part of the janitorial crew. I'll work for real cheap.

I am not the member. Just simply replying to what you posted. You are telling someone it was not theirs to start with so why should they get it yet it was not the janitors either so why should they get it?? I spend time at another club, never been to Johnson Creek, but at most if it is on the ground it is free to take if you are willing to pick it up. If the above club is an indoor and states it in the rules that you cannot take it I can understand. That being said I still don't think the line of expecting things for free is really on track when that is just what the club and the janitors are doing. Just my 2cents.

Hey guys, im kinda bummed but maybe theres a logical reason. I go to my fave gun club Johnson Creek hoping to put a few handloads thru my new XD and mabye score some brass in the process. I walk into these new brass buckets with locks on them and a note saying that the brass is for the janitorial crew. Oh, by the way, nice job on the walls. Things are lookin great there but I digress. So not only are the boxes locked now but I walk into guys dumping the boxes over onto the floor despite the note to get to the brass which is now spread all over the floor as they rifle thru it to find their favorite cal. All while guys are shooting 2 feet in front of them.

and there's the problem with reloaders, you guys are like feral cats.

Yea mabye I missed it as well, it was never spoken to me and ive been there for a year. I didnt read it but thats not saying its not in the fine print somewhere. Since day 1 that ive been there, ive seen member after member after member pick out brass from the buckets and no other member ever said 1 word to them. That nice dude that always shows new members around has been there as well and hasnt said anything to anybody. Its not listed on the wall of rules anywhere. And why would I expect anything for free? because thats what being part of a club is about... sharing. Otherwise why call it a club? I dont EXPECT anything either, but its always fun to find some cases every now and again. Like I said earlier.... as a member of a club, i am not expected to clean the bathroom, clean up after anybody other than myself or straighten up the chairs or sandbags. I do it because I like the club. As I see it we all pay to use the club and the janitors get paid. If part of their pay has always been collecting all the brass then so be it but if that was part of my pay i would have made damn well sure that it was posted on the wall of rules and on the old buckets long before today, catch my drift?

and Jake why you gotta be so aggressive? Theres certainly a more civil way of explaining your position. I certainly hope you arent in the customer service industry.

Its really not that big of a deal, Its merely a change I dont understand. The thing about people dumping it all out on the ground now, that will become a problem so you might want to think about how to handle it. After all were all feral cats.

Well lets raise the annual rates members pay so we can continue to afford janitorial services.

The cost of everything is going up. If the janitors agree to keep what little brass members don't take home, and keep the rates low, so be it.

Why are you more entitled to someone else's brass than the janitors that clean up after all the pigs?

At my club all the brass goes to support our junior program. I bet you would want to shut down the kids shooting so you can score some more "free" brass. Get a grip and go buy your own brass if you want to reload. We do.

JMHO

Buy your own brass already. I shot for a military team for years and if we did not have to turn brass in, I gave it to whom ever was interested. I considered it a form of tax refund. One fine spring day, I was running thru drills and an old geezer was standing behind me glaring and muttering complaints under his breath. As I was reloading mags he stepped past me to take my empty boxes and brass off my bench!!!

I stopped him and asked, "WFT! old ba$tard? Can I help you?" He said, "I ain't got time to wait for you to finish, I have to get home!" I retrieved my property, told him to go have a stroke and sent him on his way.

Unrecovered brass is typically club property. Brass hounds have probably gotten on someone's last good nerve at your club, it happens. Our club has a few guys who sort, bag and leave it for donations in the clubhouse. It is still dirt cheap and pays for paint and brooms. Scrap brass sells for 2-3 bucks a pound these days. If you want brass, maybe it is time to go to a club meeting and bring it up?

Humble opinion Adam? Hmmm, not really that humble are ya? No one said anything about entitlement and you are dead wrong. I wish the brass would fund any type of kids program. Hell, if they had a kids program Id be the first one with donation in hand and my kid would be actively involved. I rarely see a kid at JCGC. That was just a really lame thing to accuse me of. Id love to bring it up at any meeting but they dont appear to have any kind of meetings. Im not so cheap I cant buy my own brass and I would never take anyones from them as i know some crazy old reloaders would. Thats just disrespectful. Id happily pay my club a donation to get some and it could be used to finance improvements and im sure others would follow suit. It seems you all are missing the point. Up until now it seemed fine to take the leftover brass that people had willingly disposed of. Little did I nor anyone else taking said brass know that it was actually prohibited to do so as its not listed on the club rules which are plainly posted on the clubhouse wall. That was the whole purpose of this post. Its just that one day it was all cool and the next day it was locked up and someone had to ask why. Guess I had to be the one to do it but Im sure its on the minds of anyone who has gotten brass there.

At my club, where I am a real brass hound, and a lot of others also. We pick through the brass buckets for our favorites and leave the rest. We recycle the brass and steel casings that nobody picks out.
We have had plenty left for the club. In fact we did a lot of renovation and hydro-seeding and paid cash for all of it with recycling money.
Those janitors must be cleaning up.
Of course if I see someone shooting brass i want I ask if they reload. If they say no I ask for the brass and i usually get it.

I am not the member. Just simply replying to what you posted. You are telling someone it was not theirs to start with so why should they get it yet it was not the janitors either so why should they get it?? I spend time at another club, never been to Johnson Creek, but at most if it is on the ground it is free to take if you are willing to pick it up. If the above club is an indoor and states it in the rules that you cannot take it I can understand. That being said I still don't think the line of expecting things for free is really on track when that is just what the club and the janitors are doing. Just my 2cents.
That makes no sense what so ever. The money they are paid for their work was not theirs before they earned it either. Just like the cash part of their payment the brass is part of their compensation for their work. If you take it you are stealing from them the same as if you took money from their wallets.

I see no problem if that's in the rules... but I personally think it is a stupid rule, unless the club collects the profits from the scrap run for club activities and such. If not, I'd like a part time job as part of the janitorial crew. I'll work for real cheap.

Lets see, there is a brass bucket supplied by the club, they put a lock on it and a note that says please leave the brass for the club, seems to me that it is the rule, don't you think?
Justifcation, you think it is a stupid rule, so you can justify the taking of the brass. The rule is, if you don't like it don't join. Theft is theft. It is not your brass, by leaving it at the range the member that left it gave it to the range.
The range salvages the lead, lots of lead, should you be able to go down range and harvest the lead to? How about the garbage, why not take it for scrape value?
What I want to know is what makes you think you should be able to take something that is not yours? Real simple question.

Jim

Unless they've put something in the rules since last September I remember nothing stating one way or the other about not scrounging brass. When I've been there I have asked people shooting if they were keeping brass, and recieved brass. I've also dug through the (fomer) buckets for brass. It's kind of a bummer, but it is what it is.

If you've seen people dumping the new "secure" boxes to get brass, that'll change soon as the boxes are built to attach to the wall. Better get there quick!

Too late?

Mike

As I was reloading mags he stepped past me to take my empty boxes and brass off my bench!!!
If it is THIS bad, along with people dumping out brass containers two feet away from others who are shooting as someone mentioned then I can see where something had to be done to regulate this. Hey I am a brass hound also but only when I find it in the areas I shoot in the NF. When I do find it usually no one else is around so it is truly fair game and I am not in anyone's way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top