Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Johnson Creek Gun Club. lovin it!!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by davef, Sep 16, 2011.

1. davef

davef S.E. pdx Active Member

Hi,

Just became a member recently. Gotta say i really think its a class act. Lots of history there. Very clean with a ping pong table to boot!! 10 lanes. Hand cranked carriers. carriers must be set back to their farthest position which is 50 feet which is due to safety issues but I was told by my friendly orienteer that as long as you are there by yourself they dont mind you coming forward from the line to get closer range practice. Just gotta make sure to keep that muzzle pointed downrange on your way back up. Cant do that when others are there for obvious reasons. A couple steps forward and Im in my comfort zone although Im enjoying the challenge of longer shots. They sell a nice selection of targets for very reasonable prices. Ive met a handful of super nice old timers in the few days ive been there. All in all a great experience and Im happy to be part.

2. dude young

dude young SE PDX Active Member

Cool to hear you are liking it. I am considering joining as I live just a few minutes from them and really have no place to go shooting. I was tossing around them and the Clack Cty range. The one big upside to JC is I can shoot my own ammo. Please tell me, have you experienced a crowd yet? When/what times have you gone?

I would really like to check it out. Do they offer a "try before you buy" kinda thing?

3. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

I have been a member there for a few months now and I like it too. From my experience, it is usually only busy on the weekends, and even then it's not too bad.

4. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that stepping in front of the line was allowed there. The distance you had to place targets was the main reason I've been hesitant to join there.

JC offers a tour so you can look at facility. You could probably ask around here to get a member to take you there as a guest to "try before you buy".

5. RoJac

RoJac Earth Member

I go early week day mornings . No crowd .Sometimes have the place to myself.
    If you want to try it out just ask a member to take you. (such as myself) A member can bring 2 guests

6. davef

I wasnt aware of that as well as that was my first question. but i must reiterate, you must be there shooting ALONE, never attempt to do it while someone else is shooting and keep the muzzle pointed downrange at all times. you cant really move too far forward cause it gets dark pretty quick but for me 35 feet is a whole lot better than 50. Personally id love to see them put up a 7 yard trap on one of the outer lanes so you can shoot closer range anytime. Id even be down to donate $100 to the cause and im sure if enough people threw some extra money at them they might consider it. Its such a great club, hidden in a neighborhood. Treat the place with respect cause it deserves it. Just the awards wall is impressive! Yea and a member can bring not just 1 but 2 guests! my best friend, an ex marine, wants to get his young son into shooting and I cant think of a better place for us to get some male bonding time in.

7. davef

i should mention that I think the best part of the club is its members! i met this one gentleman the other day. i say "how ya doin?" he says " all right for an old guy." He affixes a 2" orange dot on the center of his target. He puts the target on the carrier, sends it flying back and fires about 20 rounds at it from 50 feet and leaves. Must have been there for all of 10 minutes. Easily, 15 rounds hits the dot and the other 5 are grouped around it at 2" Im thinkin to myself "Dang, I got a lot of work to do!!" Its people like this im excited to pick up tons of pointers from to make myself a better shooter.

8. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

The 50 ft, 17yrds, target requirement is the only reason I have not joined.