Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Johnny Appleseed Dec 13-14 in WA

Discussion in 'Events & Get Togethers' started by ZombieAssassin, Dec 5, 2008.

1. ZombieAssassin

ZombieAssassin Oregon Member

2. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

Sounds like money well spent. Unfortunately, my rifle (aka Christmas present to myself!) won't arrive in time.

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Mine won't be done either :(

I'd really like to attend one of these in the future though.

4. ZombieAssassin

5. ZombieAssassin

This event was SOOOOO worth it. There were at least 8 instructors at all times doing various tasks of keeping the firing range safe, giving instruction, etc. There were about 20 of us. That's about 1 instructor per 3 people. I paid $70 for 2 days, but I didn't have to supply targets, there was no range fee, and I got a nice t-shirt (value $15). So I paid around $40 for 2 days when you subtract costs of those things. Females are free, so for my wife and I we paid $10 per day for each of us (2 days x 2 people x $10 per person = $40).

RWVA isn't making money off of this, they are doing it to teach people the heritage of being a rifleman, being able to know your rifle and make every shot count (as Mel Gibson said in The Patriot "aim small, miss small"). Shooting long range, or even shooting at 25m (the distance we used, with smaller targets to simulate longer distances) is not an easy thing. They teach you shooting from various positions, how to use your sling to stabilize your body and rifle.

I had an amazing experience and will definitely be going again. I suggest making sure your iron sights and/or scope is zeroed before going, otherwise it could be frustrating. Out of 20-30 people, only 2 scored high enough to be considered a Rifleman by the AQT (Army Qualifying Test) -- and both were females.

Sign up. Get some friends to go with you. Bring your wife/girlfriend/etc. It's a wonderful experience, and will give you so much data to think about and use in training.

6. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Too bad there doesn't appear to be another one "locally" on the schedule for 2009. :(

7. BUZO71

BUZO71 Emerald Valley, Oregon New Member

I noticed that to... sounds like a fun time

8. ZombieAssassin

I'm sure that will be fixed. Go to the web site and join the RWVA forums to get an early lead on this info, and to show them that there are more people interested in having this in the NW. The more numbers there are, the more likely it is to happen. When speaking with them, they said they have plans to hold multiple events in both OR and WA next year.

My friend said it best: you'd have to pay hundreds of dollars to get training like this. RWVA does it out of principle and to pass skills on that our forefathers had to use to conquer the Redcoats.

9. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

Hey Zombie assassin thanks for the good words.

Forum members don't despair. There will be shoots in our region in 2009. We just wanted to see how the shoot went in Dec. before we finalized our schedule.

Short winter days and cold winter weather made this the most challenging Appleseed event that I have been at yet. Congratulations to those good people that came out anyway. The Fathers are tellin' me that they are proud of you.:winkkiss: A rifleman persists!!!

Forum members; If you want a shoot near you help us to set it up. How, you ask. Well it's easy really, especially if you have an acre or so of property with a suitable backstop. All we need is enough space for a 25 yard line and a safety line behind. Zombieassassin will tell you that it can even be pretty close quarters. RWVA will provide the landowner with a certificate of insurance for the shoot and pay for the amenities ( Porta-johns are a good thing).

Of course if you have some pull with a local range we easily go that route too.

Once we have a place we get it on the schedule and announce it in the Shotgun News.

just prior to the shoot we will distribute fliers and promo materials to the members who will get out to the public. Appleseed is about total audience participation (just ask Zombieassasin). If you help we can make it happen.

Keep checkin' the Appleseed forum for schedule updates http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/ and find a way to make it to a shoot. I know that you'll be glad that you did.

If you have any questions or suggestions PM me on the Appleseed forum and I'll come here to share what I can.

Thanks again Zombieassasin

Wheeler44

10. spudsuckinmc

spudsuckinmc Hillsboro New Member

11. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Boy, you all got me jazzed about attending one now. :thumbup: Now I am REALLY getting antsy waiting on parts to arrive and rifle to be built! :D

12. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

Here is a pic of the Appleseed last weekend
    th_IMG_0076.jpg
    My red hat is off to all that attended

Wheeler44