JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last week, April 29-30, I took part in my first NRA Highpower match at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. I was the only guy shooting .308 (reason for that?) and an M1A. It is an 800 two day aggregate shot at the standard 200/300/600 yards. Just shooting this one match was enough for me to get my classification card. Mucho fun.

I was 3rd relay. Didn't know until after it was over that the other guys on target 8 with me are the son and grandson of the guy the match was named after. Afterwards, there was an awards presentation for the winners (I was not one of them...not even close) and a door prize (which I won:
a black leather 1907 sling to put on that AR I have to get now for it).

Among lessons learned: I really need a friggin' range cart!

20170429_091136_resized.jpg
Pulling targets in the pit.

20170430_091718_resized.jpg
200 yard standing

20170430_095404_resized.jpg
300 yard sitting

20170430_144150_resized.jpg
600 yard prone 20170430_131544_resized.jpg

Last Edited:
Off hand at 200yards is not so easy is it? I like working the pits though. The sound of the bullet cracking overhead and impacting the berm confirms to my mind I'd never want to be hit by a .223 'mouse gun' :)

Off hand at 200yards is not so easy is it? I like working the pits though. The sound of the bullet cracking overhead and impacting the berm confirms to my mind I'd never want to be hit by a .223 'mouse gun' :)

True that. Although my target puller said that those 168gr HPBT were kicking up way more dust in the berm than the 5.56 impacts did. Everyone knew when I shot. Heh!

Have you been through CMP course at DRRC? My daughter and I did that several years ago.

Yes. I took the last CMP class and shot a match the next day.
There is another CMP match at DRRC in a couple weeks. I'll be going to that. Also going to the Service Rifle position practice session coming up so I can be told all the things I'm doing wrong ;)

Service Rifle & Highpower is my main interest.
Also want to get into Bullseye pistol: not offered at DRRC so teaching myself and going through the workbook.

I was shooting a few spots down from you and you did fine. I was the guy who said you should get extra points for shooting .30 cal. Just practice using your sling and you will see your scores improve every match. I started shooting matches with a Garand and I had a lot of fun. You will end up geting an AR sooner or later. There is a 100 yard match at Eagle Creek this Saturday and it is a great opportunity to practice position without having to call the wind.

Ted

I shot a Service Rifle match last July at those same distances with an M1 Garand. It was only at the 600 yard mark that I learned (with the help of others on the line) that my sights weren't holding the dialed adjustments (they were slipping back after turning the dial) and that my bullets were too light for that distance. Other than being blazing hot (95 degrees), it was fun to shoot the match and work the target pit. I may try it again sometime, but definitely not on another 95 degree day - that was not so much fun. Sounds like you had a great time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top