JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Joe's", the yuppified shell of what was once a major outdoor outfitter and GI surplus source once known as "G.I. Joe's", is to be <broken link removed> .

Not that they will have much left to pick over, (based on my last few visits) but you might check in case there are any deals to be had on reloading components, accessories, or maybe even a gun or two.

For those too young, if you've been to Andy and Bax on Grand Av in Portland, G.I. Joe's was very similar only about 100 times as large, the original store at one time spread among 3 buildings on a site near MLK/Vancouver Av up near Jubitz truck stop.

Another great, iconic business that abandoned it's core customer base and plowed nose-first into the ground.

People still look for surplus when times are tough, but nobody buys skis and top-end athletic clothing during the same tough times.

Larry's Sporting Goods in Gresham was another one. Larry'd rather gone to Alaska making his TV show than run his business. Pfffft....both gone years ago. I bought a huge bucket of 7.62 brass from Larry's once.

Boy did I smell that one coming. You're right they've gone way down hill from what they used to be. I stopped shopping there when they stopped selling handguns in the name of "PC".

They also used to be a decent source for auto parts.

They'd been drifting along, in search of an identity along with loyal customers, when they changed their name, eliminating the "G.I." part, and become plain jane old "Joes". I knew then they'd lost what was left of their heart.... and haven't darkened any of their doors since. It used to have an identity... yes, I still remember being awestruck when first I explored the one up near Jubitz..... a few times round the sun since then.

So are they in liquidation as of today?

If it's being done by a second party liquidator it'll be a waste of time, like the infamous Circuit City sell off.

The lot is still there behind Portland Meadows, with some of those old aircraft fuel tanks made in to a fence, I think that was from the old GI Joes also.

Any idea how long I have to come up with the money to buy a second safe from them. When I was looking to buy a safe, they had the best prices (by a large margin). I want a second one for ammo. now I am stressed. I thought that I was going to have months to come up with the cash.

you're kidding. I'm down there all the time and I could never imagine a Joe's there. of course I am new to Oregon and I can't imagine Joe's in its heyday.

If you go north on Vancouver from Columbia, the next intersection ( Schmeer rd? ) if you look at the building on the SE corner the "fence" for the lot are old drop tanks from WWII aircraft. That was the original G.I. Joes location.

NM.....just went to google maps....didn't realize they changed the intersection..no more drop tanks..:(

Hmmm.. I've got an '84 R 65 LS, I think its 27K on the clock. That one's all there, runs like, well, a Beamer. I've also got a '62 R 50 S, old Earls Fork low slung beast. Sort of a trip to ride, but not my mug o beer any more... I prefer disc brakes, 12 volt, electric commencer, five speed cogbox...... thinking of doing a spiff-up and putting that old gal on the blocks. a WAY cool ride, though. Back when I used to ride it, folks would see it and think it hearkened back to the days of the Second German War...... well, not so far back. I guess the "desert tan" colour, Solo seats, and Earls Fork front end give it that look. Other bikes may be faster, "cooler", more expensive or cushy, but nothing rides like a Beamer.....

I find myself flipping from daydreaming about hydraulic lifter boxers to a URAL to just getting on the R80 again. Which is probably what I'll be doing. I've got a Luftmeister Oil Thermometer and anti-bottoming springs in and boots on the forks. I'd like to find a solo seat for it and put a Motorola radio trunk on the back and put some ham gear in it. Maybe a new handlebar...after doing an Oregon 500 years ago I found I'd have done better with an RS. :D

A Ural would be cool though...

The blue one is the same model I have, just isn't my bike.

ural safari.jpg

R80RT 1983.jpg

I did find large pistol primers in the Eugene store about a month ago, one box.
Maybe when one store decided to stop selling handguns they took them to the Eugene store to try to sell them before they closed. I first saw the case of handguns at Eugene about a month ago. They were overpriced and not much of a selection, but I was surprised to see them at all. I remember when GI Joes stopped selling handguns many years ago and I swore then I would never set foot in the store again. That lasted maybe 2 years.
Sad to see the job loses no matter what you think of the business.

'83 R80RT, only 20K on it. stopped riding it when the kids were born, still in the garage. Have to save some coin to have Portland Motorcycle go through it before I ride it. Brakes, hoses, fluids, grips...the old rubber is crumbling except for the tires.

Hijack in progress
Forget PMC- take it to Steve Prokop in Dundee.For your own safety and peace of mind DO NOT let PMC touch any bike that you intend to ride!

Me-'92 R100GSPD, '021150GS Adv, '81 R80g/s(in pieces)

Hijack over

Re-Joe's, they've been lame for a while now. It's a shame really that folks will be out of work but I could feel this coming for a while now everytime I walked into a store.

Hijack in progress
Forget PMC- take it to Steve Prokop in Dundee.For your own safety and peace of mind DO NOT let PMC touch any bike that you intend to ride!

Me-'92 R100GSPD, '021150GS Adv, '81 R80g/s(in pieces)

Hijack over
I'll keep that in mind. I have to trailer it anyway, and Dundee is a long ways. I wish Aloha-Beaverton MC Werks was still around. I was taking it there and a previous bike to their previous business locations, but I lost touch. Probably retired to go ride the world.

Re-Joe's, they've been lame for a while now. It's a shame really that folks will be out of work but I could feel this coming for a while now everytime I walked into a store.
Back on topic: Unemployment is always to be avoided, but take comfort that they'll be in a better place soon.

edit: <broken link removed> .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top