JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honestly, if the gun isn't for anything serious it wouldn't matter much. Plus if you don't pin the gas block or dimple the barrel it would be easier to reach the screws in case they loosen up.

In regards to m-lok vs keymod, on a lightweight AR I'd avoid as many accessories as possible depending on what you intend to use it for. So its another thing that's not much of an issue IMO.

Honestly, if the gun isn't for anything serious it wouldn't matter much. Plus if you don't pin the gas block or dimple the barrel it would be easier to reach the screws in case they loosen up.

Honestly, I don't get that, every gun I own is serious, even the LW one I got for my daughter to shoot. Regardless, I would want 2" on my gas tube exposed with 7" handguard on a mid-length gas system, nor do I want my gas block to become a shut-off valve if it gets smacked. I would, at minimum dimple the barrel, but I do prefer a pinned FSB/gas block (when it is done properly you don't need to worry about loose screws.)

Honestly, I don't get that, every gun I own is serious, even the LW one I got for my daughter to shoot. Regardless, I would want 2" on my gas tube exposed with 7" handguard on a mid-length gas system, nor do I want my gas block to become a shut-off valve if it gets smacked. I would, at minimum dimple the barrel, but I do prefer a pinned FSB/gas block (when it is done properly you don't need to worry about loose screws.)

This is how I see it. I don't want to spend all this money to build a gun I can't rely on.

I'd go with the ALG, it is the "budget" handguard I always recommend, sort of a Geissele light. I really wish they would make a top railed version of the V1 like they do the V3.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've heard great things about them.

Same garden different plant. Some people only have guns for serious situations, some have guns for fun, some have both. I have both. Galil Ace, an AR and a 1911 for more serious purposes and fun. Mauser for fun, and most guns from this point for me will be for fun.

If all guns had to be serious I'd been done buying guns a while back.

Then there is project guns, I would say this build probably falls in that category as it sounds like Joe wants to use it to introduce folks to shooting MSRs.

Project guns don't need to be entirely serious, yes they should function, but if they are a little ridiculous, our unnecessary, it us all good.

I tried my hand at a light weight build, it didn't go well and ended up turning into a KISS build. Keep it simple stupid. It was still pretty light, stupid reliable, and simple.

IMG_1339.JPG

All AR-15s are lightweight until you add the CQB optic with QD mount, magnifier with flip-to-side mount, railed foreend, vertical foregrip, lights, lasers, battle sights, storage grip with extra batteries, bayonet, and stock-mounted mag pouch...

Shot Show had some nice light weight gems on display that were reviewed for release this year. The less it weighs, the higher the cost. Some of the items looked less than desirable, with a soon to follow, WTH?

There was talk of turning a 14.7" barrel down at the front and behind the FSB, and then pin/weld flash hider, and use an A1 slickside upper (USAF something), and CAR old school butt stock that's reputed to be a little lighter than even the Magpul MOE rear stock...and A1 grip.... seems those got the weight down to just around 5lbs. Looks like the flat top and carry handle adds a few oz as well as the forward assist, and then there's the handguards. Could go lighter by chopping the FSB, then add any one of the UL foreends and then possibly chopping the A1 carry handle, but you might lose the ability to add optics unless you find a way to add a rail on there (at that point, just go flat top lol :rolleyes: )

Also, for extreme weight reduction some hybrid (metal-reinforced polymer) lowers like the Tennessee Arms Liberator come in at 6oz. or less. (The Liberator is 5.6; lightest on the ARFCOM list is the Kaiser US X-7 Fusion at 5.5.)

The Sub-60oz AR Project

This dude made a functional AR carbine under 60oz and under 1 grand I believe. I see he used the Tennessee Arms Ghost Gunner hybrid lower, and 10rd metal mag with windows; swiss cheesed the Magpul grip, and some other hacking...... Interesting, he's using New Frontier polymer FCG with an apparently rare aluminum BC....

Been meaning to build a lightweight AR15 for a few years now, primarily due to complaints from new female shooters. The more I think about it, I can see how a lightweight build would appeal to everyone, myself included. Budget constraints won't allow for the lightest build, but we should be able to get close.

So Joe, how did the light weight build turn out?

Unfortunately this project has been shelved for the time being, but I still have all the parts. One of these days I'd like to get back to it :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top