JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, so let's say your average gun safe won't hold all my stuff, and would take probably 2 to hold all my stuff (lot's of ammo, since a gun and a few mags are worthless without ammo). Also, I prefer the ease of moving the jobox when empty, as opposed to having to hire people whom I don't know to come move my safe when I move into a different house.

I've heard great things about the jobox's in this thread: Jobox vs. gun safe - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum

However, I'd like some additional opinions on this vs a safe.

Either can be broken into given enough time and resources, right? I do have multiple layers of security, except a dog.

It's the 70 inch version of this that can be shipped to my door for $666

Jobox Steel Gang Tool Boxes - Job Site Tool Chests

I've looked at these before. Still thinking of getting one for the shop and bolting it down to the concrete floor with lag bolts. See them all the time on Craigs List for 150.00-200.00 bucks.

I just bought a Stack On 14 gun safe. Not really a safe if you ask me just a metal box with a lock. I lag bolted it to he wall in 6 places. It sits about 20 inchs off the ground so I can easily get into it without bending over. I also made 4 shelves for it so ammo can be separated. It works real well and cost me 169.99 to buy it.

Looks fairly secure, but I wouldn't like the raised off the floor aspect of it. Even if you bolted it to the floor some crook might find/bring a decent pry bar and jump on it to pull out your lag bolts and leave with it. At the satanic price of $666 :p you are already getting into the price range of some decent safes.
Are you saying you can't fit all your guns into a safe? Or can't fit all your guns and ammo into a safe? Screw the ammo, it's easily replaceable. Or get a cheap locking cabinet for it. There are probably more attractive things in your home to walk off with than 50lbs of ammo that would probably get them $30 or less. A lot of people store their ammo in USGI ammo cans that come with convenient built-in handles for carrying, but they aren't really worried about that since it's a relatively low cost item that is probably harder to move than firearms.

50 lbs of ammo is worth $30? Where can I get in on THAT deal.

Even 50 pounds of .22 ammo would be worth hundreds of dollars, and several thousand rounds of 5.56 tac loads and 9mm JHP cost more than the guns. It's not just that it's the mags too. That stuff takes up A LOT OF ROOM.

It's easier to fence too...

When you purchase something to protect you valuables (not just firearms and ammo) please consider your threats. There is a lot more to think about than just burglers,,,how about fire?

My biggest threat is fire. The chances that anyone can even find my house, let alone rob it, is very slim. But fire is a major concern here. i see a lot of people concerned about protecting their weapons, but remember, when you decide on what you want to do, there are other threats out there besides human.

50 lbs of ammo is worth $30? Where can I get in on THAT deal.

Even 50 pounds of .22 ammo would be worth hundreds of dollars, and several thousand rounds of 5.56 tac loads and 9mm JHP cost more than the guns. It's not just that it's the mags too. That stuff takes up A LOT OF ROOM.

It's easier to fence too...
Lol well yes but I was thinking along the lines of some methhead selling stuff as fast as he can to whatever fence or pawnshop would buy it no questions asked. Not along the levels us poor citizens have to pay retail.
My point is your average smash & grab burglars would probably go for the iPad or laptop rather than ammo.
I'm not a criminal so maybe they would, that's just my thoughts.

Get a safe.

A jobbox can be broken into pathetically easy.

I did it once in less than 3 minutes with a cordless drill, heat torch, and a pry bar.
2 of the minutes were taken up thinking about it and finding the tools.

(It was mine. No I don't want to talk about it!)

And as for.marking it tools or machine parts.....

Job box and those ghetto stack-on safes wouldn't last a minute with my 18 volt dewalt metal cutting skill saw with a carbide tipped blade.. trust me I'm an electrician and have plenty of experience cutting stainless with those blades. And as a former volunteer firefighter it is REALLY appreciated when someone has tens of thousands of rounds of ammo in a fire safe and not igniting in their closet when I'm going into your house armed with a hose... been there done that!!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

In a different life there were no funds for a decent safe in my home and I didn't think spending $1000 in a pretty painted RSC was worth it, figured saving up for a decent safe like a Sturdy was a better way to go. Still needed some protection from children and whatnot. Was looking into a Stack-On set up and was not excited about it at all. A friend pointed out that for a similar price a nice used JOBOX or Knaack Box could be had. Much more secure than the Stack-On level of "security" ...downside being stuff is laid in there and whatever you want is always on the bottom of the pile. Used this for a while during the time money was saved for a quality safe (RSC). If your able to get and use a better RSC for your firearms, by all means, do so. For ammo and whatnot, A worksite box bolted to the garage floor (and probably full of heavy ammo) would be fine; no need for a second RSC.

I like my Ghetto Stack On:s0114: Just like I am sure you like your plactic gun;) I did not buy it for protection from a thief all I wanted was to keep the kids out of the ammo. Hell I weld for a living and have plenty of tools to get into it myself. I did not want to spend another grand on another safe at the time. As for a fire well I have a lot higher priced items to worry about than some ammo:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top