JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It just may have been used against 'perfidious Albion' in the old days of the North West Frontier scuffles....that alone should make it even more valuable to an American. ;) Very few were rifled, BTW, The barrels were made by the so-called 'stub-twist method', where short rods of iron, not steel, were heated up and wrapped around a mandrel, rather like winding string around your finger. They were hammer forged into one piece, and then bored out to the correct diameter. The more stubs were used, the more expensive the barrel cost. Often five were used, but seven and nine-stub twists were often used by the likes of Nock and Egg, as well as Manton.

Here's a Youtube movie of a guy in Kansas doing it to make an astonishingly beautiful pistol. Long guns just used longer 'stubs'. As you can imagine, the resultant spiral twist gave rise to the nickname of 'Damascus' after the pattern found on steel blades coming from that part of the world.

Damn that was a LOT of time that goes into that. All I could think when watching that was what it must have been like long ago when they did not have the equipment he had and people were making those. Impressive to say the least!

I'm going shooting, and I'll take a movie of my Ruger Super Redhawk so that you guys can see what the future might be like if you are not vigilant. For those in any doubt - and bleeve it or don't - please recall that there are an increasing number of states in the Union that have more stringent firearms laws than we do here in the UK - bleeve it or don't.

Sadly gun owners are in large part marching right into this. My state and the one to my south seem to be in a race to see who can outdo CA. I keep hoping gun owners will wake up before it's too damn late.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top