JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
well I figured I would post this. brought this out of AFG in another life. kind of neat rifle and I figured Andy would like to see it. its almost 6' in length

20190107_010626.jpg 20190107_010631.jpg 20190107_010649.jpg 20190107_010706.jpg 20190107_010723.jpg 20190107_010748.jpg

Very cool gun...I like the lock and "Peep sight"
How well does the lock function...?
Will it hold at half / full cock...?
Any Idea if its smoothbore or rifled...or caliber...?
Thanks for posting.

In one of my books on WWII , there is a photo of a Morocco Native with one of these in use...
Also Luke Skywalker had one in Star Wars...Not that it did much good against "Sand People"...:D
Andy

the lock functions well enough to get a nice spark.
yes it does hold at half / full cock
I am not sure about the bore, I will ask my son and post back. the barrel looks like it is Damascus? steel. if not there is a lot of design in it.

Very neat find. One of my close relation was deployed to Afghanistan and reported seeing them there, albeit just a few. I remember when talking to him about it, the old Kipling poem that mentions a "ten-rupee Jezail" crossed my mind, though I don't believe I referenced said. Some technology just continues on.

I know absolutely zero/zip/ziltch/nada about these. Do you shoulder it or put it under your armpit to shoot it?

That Critter gives a whole new meaning to "Reach out and touch Someone" doesn't it? It a Very cool piece and I would enjoy being able to fire the Critter.:):):)

It just may have been used against 'perfidious Albion' in the old days of the North West Frontier scuffles....that alone should make it even more valuable to an American. ;) Very few were rifled, BTW, The barrels were made by the so-called 'stub-twist method', where short rods of iron, not steel, were heated up and wrapped around a mandrel, rather like winding string around your finger. They were hammer forged into one piece, and then bored out to the correct diameter. The more stubs were used, the more expensive the barrel cost. Often five were used, but seven and nine-stub twists were often used by the likes of Nock and Egg, as well as Manton.

Here's a Youtube movie of a guy in Kansas doing it to make an astonishingly beautiful pistol. Long guns just used longer 'stubs'. As you can imagine, the resultant spiral twist gave rise to the nickname of 'Damascus' after the pattern found on steel blades coming from that part of the world.

Last Edited:
Tac that's awesome information. I know when you look at the barrel closely it has a "Damascus" appearance along the 5' or so of barrel. I will try and link up with andy this summer when i am stateside so he can look it over. its crazy to think how old that lock plate is.

If I am reading the lock plate right...I think I see "1814"
I have and still shoot a J. Henry Trade Rifle with dates to around 1800 -18teens...
So the idea of shooting your gun isn't that far fetched....
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

That Critter gives a whole new meaning to "Reach out and touch Someone" doesn't it? It a Very cool piece and I would enjoy being able to fire the Critter.:):):)

Definitely something you don't see everyday. Let alone seeing someone firing it. :s0155:

This is why I love this site! So much knowledge that is shared, without an "I'm better than you" pissy attitude.

:s0152:

Rather than knowing an awful lot about just one thing, I know an awful lot about a lot of little things. One way of paying back the world for having to put up with me for a while.

Don't worry, I'll soon be gone.......

Rather than knowing an awful lot about just one thing, I know an awful lot about a lot of little things. One way of paying back the world for having to put up with me for a while.

Don't worry, I'll soon be gone.......

:(

I'd feel horrible giving you a "like". We don't want you to be gone. :(

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Your comment reminded me of my dad. As we would say, and he would admit, he was a book of useless knowledge. :D

Go ahead. Give. It can't hurt me. My problem is that I an almost everlasting memory for trivia, but happily, a lot of it is trivia that some folks find useful, like on this forum. And like any decent half-Irish person, I DO enjoy the craic of passing it on, often, as Mrs tac reminds me, to people who don't much care to know.

Hands up who knew that John Garand was Canadian?

Or that Mr Gatling invented useful farm machinery?

Or that THE most deadly weapon of the middle ages in England, where there was a VERY long and bloody civil war called the War of the roses, was the war hammer, NOT the sword.

I'm going shooting, and I'll take a movie of my Ruger Super Redhawk so that you guys can see what the future might be like if you are not vigilant. For those in any doubt - and bleeve it or don't - please recall that there are an increasing number of states in the Union that have more stringent firearms laws than we do here in the UK - bleeve it or don't.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top