JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So I'm taking a week "off" (or something like that with my unique position in the field) starting today to, largely catch up on things around the acreage, home, vehicles, health, et al. And squeeze in some reading, shooting time on the home range at least one day (tomorrow), and wacky and/or funky fun.

One of my self-imposed tasks is to clean/clear up a building close to the house. In said is a large quantity of ammo. Some I'll use. Some I won't. Almost all of it don't care about. Not a high priority, but as I'm working to do lists now:

• Is there really any value in a mix of boxed and loose ammo? (I've given away what I can. Other than some oddball, I'm mainly thinking of tossing 5.56㎜, 00-buck 12 Gauge, and a few hunting rifle cartridges.)
  • How would one really price a yuge supply of uncounted/loose ammo? Put it on a postage scale?
  • Is said value worth shipping? I live in the sticks and lining up a meet for an ammo dump isn't high on the list of time investment. (Increasingly few things are. Quality/quantity, honk-honk.)
  • If I do ship, how, and with with what procedures. (Our local UPS location is managed by a militantly anti-2A tw ... twit, yah, lets go with that. That either doesn't know or, in one case deliberately violated, their own company policy. I have not problem working around said mental defective or shipping via FedEx a little farther north. I know USPS is a no-go with respect to ammo. Still, stickers, packaging, whatever needs to be lined up.)
Candidly, my primary concern is time commitment. Followed by decluttering. The rest, whatever. Not a high priority, but I will be in there tomorrow, if for no other reason a load up for the aforementioned range session. Spidey-Senses says waste of time, but ... I just lost my train of thought.

Thanks much! :s0155:

Maybe someone on the forum has some free time to come pick it up and sell it for you in the PDX area. You could split the proceeds with them or let them keep some of the ammo as payment. The ammo you listed is in pretty high demand, but I think the prices have leveled out recently. Still probably worth more than you might think.

Selling it by the pound at pre-pandemic levels plus shipping, I'd imagine, would get rid of it right quick. I know I'd take some. Hell, if there's good camping not too cold by you, I'd make the drive.

No matter what, though, I'd say no more than one trip to the post is worthwhile. Line up all the sales and then ship out. If you have a gun club, scout troop, or range near you - I'm sure they'd love donations as well (and then you can take the tax write off at current market prices ;) )

One thing about loose rounds and shipping. The DOT rules are that cartridges must be packed in such a way as to avoid the possibility of accidental ignition. Meaning, no way for one cartridge to impact another cartridge's primer. Yet I've received .30-06 ammo loose in GI ammo cans from CMP. And I suppose bulk .22 LR ammo in those little milk carton type containers goes through UPS. For my purposes, I've taken it to mean that it should be boxed to keep primers properly separated.

One thing about loose rounds and shipping. The DOT rules are that cartridges must be packed in such a way as to avoid the possibility of accidental ignition. Meaning, no way for one cartridge to impact another cartridge's primer. Yet I've received .30-06 ammo loose in GI ammo cans from CMP. And I suppose bulk .22 LR ammo in those little milk carton type containers goes through UPS. For my purposes, I've taken it to mean that it should be boxed to keep primers properly separated.
I have been shipped loose ammo before.

I have been shipped loose ammo before.
Yes, I know it's been done. I'm just pointing out what the DOT requirements say. These days people are shipping powder, primers and live ammo through the US Mail. Which is against the law. Yet it's being done. But I won't do it.

Taken from the UPS website:

How to Package Cartridges, Small Arms

Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, partitioned within a snugly fitting outside box or in metal clips. Cartridges must be properly cushioned and protected from accidental initiation. The inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packaged in securely closed outside packaging that will not open during transit. The package may not exceed 66 lb. (30 kg).

Failure to do this, aside from civil penalties, might be that if your package detonates, you will be required to make good on all the losses.

Last Edited:
The price of ammo kind of peaked at least a few weeks ago, its still a good time to sell though. Not sure what a huge quantity means to, are we talking 55 gallon drums full of ammo or 30cal ammo cans?

I'm seeing .40 here going for about the same as 9mm. .357 and 10mm are within a few cents of one another as well. This is at bi mart and the outdoor store (when either gets any in stock that is)

So I'm taking a week "off" (or something like that with my unique position in the field) starting today to, largely catch up on things around the acreage, home, vehicles, health, et al. And squeeze in some reading, shooting time on the home range at least one day (tomorrow), and wacky and/or funky fun.

One of my self-imposed tasks is to clean/clear up a building close to the house. In said is a large quantity of ammo. Some I'll use. Some I won't. Almost all of it don't care about. Not a high priority, but as I'm working to do lists now:

• Is there really any value in a mix of boxed and loose ammo? (I've given away what I can. Other than some oddball, I'm mainly thinking of tossing 5.56㎜, 00-buck 12 Gauge, and a few hunting rifle cartridges.)
  • How would one really price a yuge supply of uncounted/loose ammo? Put it on a postage scale?
  • Is said value worth shipping? I live in the sticks and lining up a meet for an ammo dump isn't high on the list of time investment. (Increasingly few things are. Quality/quantity, honk-honk.)
  • If I do ship, how, and with with what procedures. (Our local UPS location is managed by a militantly anti-2A tw ... twit, yah, lets go with that. That either doesn't know or, in one case deliberately violated, their own company policy. I have not problem working around said mental defective or shipping via FedEx a little farther north. I know USPS is a no-go with respect to ammo. Still, stickers, packaging, whatever needs to be lined up.)
Candidly, my primary concern is time commitment. Followed by decluttering. The rest, whatever. Not a high priority, but I will be in there tomorrow, if for no other reason a load up for the aforementioned range session. Spidey-Senses says waste of time, but ... I just lost my train of thought.

sounds like you have peaked a lot of us with large quantities! i love the sticks but am down the line. can you guess on quantities just to weed out the truly greedy

April Fools was on the first.

Thanks all of the ideas; much appreciated. The shipping requirements on loose ammo is an issue. I didn't get as far on that project as I'd like today, but enough to think I'm not going to bother now. Some of the fodder is in boxes; the one I'd really like to dump for coin (5.56㎜) is largely in loose bags. The only one in boxes and I am almost certainly not going to shoot is the shotgun ammo, but, meh.

(The only ammo I'm burning up in quantity now is 9x19㎜ and to some extent .38 Special and .44 Magnum; albeit for very different reasons. The only ones the wife is shooting up is Nine and .22LR.)

Anywho, thanks again, and well wishes. Closing for now.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads