JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I go to the Oregon City Fisherman's for ammo on occasion but rarely ask to handle a firearm. I did try out the new S&W .38 Bodyguard and the counter guy didn't seem to have a problem with me pointing said revolver and laser at the ammo behind the counter. I also found one guy very helpful when the wife and I inquired about salmon fishing which I knew absolutely nothing about. I have to say its a fine line between being helpful and being annoying sometimes. I generally buy guns off of gunbroker or here these days as I usually know what I want when I can afford to buy something new.

As for your M&P 15-22 experience. I would look at an adapter for one of your M4 carbines. I don't think you get that much better accuracy out of a purpose built .22lr. The adapter I used to use was pop can accurate out to 50 yards. If you want longer range or varmint class accuracy then a purpose built rifle or .22lr upper would be the way to go.

Thanks for the advice about the .22. I was just checking out the M&P 15-22 for the heck of it.. Hasn't anyone walked into a gun store and done that? Curiosity killed the cat, in my case.. LOL

BTW.. I do plan on getting a Ruger 10-22.. I just want a gun that is simple to shoot and simple to clean. One that can give me some decent accuracy out to 50 yards or so.

Of the firearms selling stores in Tigard, Fisherman Marine has become my second favorite. They have a good selection of long guns and hand guns galore at pretty good prices--never the low end, but rarely over the top. AND: they often have it in stock which is important. They also have a great selection of accessories. The sales folks always ask if they can be helpful. Sadly they do not always know all the right answers--but who does. The manager I spoke to there one evening was attentive and appeared to take my suggestion and observation seriously.

I personally rate the Tigard Bi-Mart above Fishermans but that is principally on price for what I buy. However the selection there is not so wide as the other shops in town. Bimart also appears to keep their firearms associates for long enough that they become knowledgeable. And I have never heard the Bimart Firearms salepeople spout off crap. They stick to business and I guess with new retail firearms and off the shelf stuff that is easier. The Ruger 10-22 prices at BiMart almost always appear to be the best locally.

Dick's in Washington Square appears to have a really large selection but so far nothing that I want at the right price. I have picked up some accessories and associated gear there though and they are part of my regular shopping loop.

The last shop in Tigard that I have sometime complemented in the past is taking a turn for the worst with their latest round of hired help. Gun Broker Tigard has apparantly hired the buffoons described above if they left Fishermans or found similar quality from some other source. AND, when Steve is not there to keep and eye on them watch out. With luck the current crop of goofs in Gun Broker will depart soon.

So what I think this thread really addresses is:
1. Service in gun stores varies quite a bit for many reasons.
2. Good help, and possibly good customers, are hard to find.
3. There is sadly a lack of knowledge about firearms on both sides of the counter.
4. The retail environment presents many challenges for purchasing firearms.
5. As was said in a television series long ago "Be Careful Out There!"

Lastly, my opinions of the gun stores local to Tigard has varied with the quality of my last visit for all the places here except BiMart, and I think Fisherman Marine also experienced some start up issues.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top