Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

JC Higgins Model 30 .22 rifle parts needed

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by SimQA, Sep 19, 2013.

1. SimQA

SimQA Spanaway Washington New Member

I have a JC Higgins model 30 that has a broken spring for what I believe is called the Disconnector Assembly. Photo attached.

I am looking for either a replacement part, or possibly repair the one I have.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Your help is very much appreciated.

IMAG0212.jpg

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Hi Sim
    Welcome to NW Firearms.
    Measure the dimensions of your spring including the broken nub.
    Search for flat spring steel in that thickness and width.
    McMaster-Carr
    I made a trigger return spring for an Iver Johnson 1909 .22 from a Ford distributor points assembly.

rocky3 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Rick4070

Rick4070 Central Oregon coast Active Member

What rick said^^^

Also, MSC has flat 0-1 tool steel in various widths and thicknesses, and also already hardened and tempered spring stock.

You would have to harden and temper the 0-1 to a spring temper, and that might take a couple of tries.

But, for the small piece you need it all seems rather expensive.

I would measure thickness, and then try and find something all ready hardened and tempered that you could carefully cut down with a Dremel tool or grinder, of course being careful not to heat the part up too hot..

One thought I had is the magazine spring from a bolt action rifle, Mauser, etc.

If it is the right thickness, a surplus magazine spring would be not too expensive, and is already spring tempered.

It looks like the spring is staked in, after taking measurements and noting shape, a Dremel tool with a small carbide burr, or perhaps a cut off wheel could be used to remove the stakes.

A centerpunch or small flat nosed punch will work well to re-stake in the new spring.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with.

BTW, I have a J.C. Higgins Mod. 30, that my dad had, he killed a lot of stuff for the table with that rifle, and it is one of the only rifles that I have ever seen that has a sling strap that retracts into the stock.

It finally started going full-auto, and was retired until LeeRoy Wisner borrowed it from me to make drawings of parts for his book, and he replaced the worn parts.

Now it works fine.

I just measured a Mauser magazine spring, it is about .020" thick, if that helps.

Also, what about buying a set of feeler gauges, the thickest one in my set is .035" and they are spring tempered, and might well work.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

5. Rick4070

Thanks for posting those links!
    I guess my father bought it with the scope, as I still have it, we mostly shot it with open sights.

I'll have to dig out the scope and take another look at it, it has been a few years since I've seen it, but I recall the kind of unique shape the adjustment turret has, as in the manual.

6. Dunerunner

No problem, Rick...

Why not post up a pic of that Model 30?

7. Rick4070

I might do that.
    I'm not too well versed in posting photos.
    I rounded up the scope, it is for sure the original one that came on the rifle, it has the mount that fits the dovetail on the rifle, and is marked: "J.C.Higgins."
    Unfortunately, the rear scope ring is missing, don't know how, unless it somehow broke, I can't see why my father would take off the rear ring for any reason...
    The only way to install the rear ring is to unscrew the rear eye-bell,and lock ring and remove the ring that way.
    I always kind of wondered why my father took off the scope, now I kind of know.
    Not too good a chance of finding another ring, I guess I could machine another one...
    I doubt that old scope was nitrogen filled or any thing, but taking off the eye-bell might well cause the scope to fog.

8. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have the exact same rifle with the factory scope. What ring are you missing? Is it the eye piece lock ring?
    Great gun, love the retractable sling.

9. Rick4070

The rearmost scope ring itself is missing.
    The eye piece and lock ring are both there.
    As you know, the scope rings are one piece, with a saw cut and a small clamp screw.
    The rings are only about 1/4" thick, and the mount is only held onto the rifle by one screw on the side of the mount.
    Pretty nifty.
    Funny rings, they also have a "keyway" in the lower part, that fits over a tang on the mount itself...

10. Dunerunner

11. Rick4070

Thanks Dunerunner, nice link!
    It was interesting reading about whether or not the rifle has a 3/8" dovetail or not
    My mount measures .360" at the widest, .310" at the narrowest, and .080" deep.
    I'll probably just machine out another ring, being as I still have the one to get dimensions from.
    Might be kind of neat to put the old scope back on, it is still fairly clear.
    Oh, I took a photo of the rifle, and the scope/mount, I'll try tomorrow to post them.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. Dunerunner

You're welcome. Funny what you can find on the interweebs! :)

13. jbett98

Here are a couple of pics showing the rings.
    On the broken spring issue, is the spring length a critical issue.
    If it isn't, could you drift out the broken piece and reinsert the original spring and re-stake it.

j c higgins 001.jpg

j c higgins 002.jpg

j c higgins 003.jpg

14. Rick4070

Yep, looks kind of like my rifle, except on mine, the cocking knob is on the left side, and forward.
    There is nothing on the right side, no knob and slot, just the bolt visible in the ejection port.
    Scope, base and rings are identical, except mine is missing the rear scope ring.
    I tried to download a photo, along with the scope, but my computer won't let me post the photos to Photobucket from the camera card for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  15. jbett98

Every once and awhile I run wanted ads on a couple of gun forums looking for vintage .22 firearms.

Last year, a guy calls me and says he wants to sell Grandpa's old rifle so he can buy an AR-15 clone that shoots .22lr's.
    When we meet up, he pulls out this great condition Higgins model 30 in the original box, with the box for the scope inside.
    He says that the original buyer was his Grandfather, and he gave him the gun days before he passes away.

His asking price was $100.00. I asked him if he was sure he wanted to sell Gramps gun, knowing he wanted him to have it.
    The guy answers with " I want a new MP-5 clone rifle, because they are cool looking and that old gun is not cool looking."
    After I asked him a second time if he was sure that he really wanted to sell, and he replied "alright, I will take $75.00."

I really like this rifle, and it's a big hit with younger kids because of the internal sling. They all think it's cool looking.

16. Rick4070

Great story, and what a deal!
    Nice that you have the original boxes, that is a big plus.
    I think that those rifles are the only models that I have seen with the retractable sling.
    I'd guess my dad bought his rifle a few years after he got out of the Army.
    He put lots of meat on the table for us over the years with it.
    When I tell people that I was carrying an 18 shot semi-auto .22 into the woods by myself when I was 7, they look at me like I'm nuts.
    But, that was common when I, and my cousins were growing up, we started with BB guns, and worked up from there.

17. Rick4070

Perhaps this will work for the photos of my Model 30:

Rifle.jpg
    Scope.jpg

Scope.jpg

Rifle.jpg