JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought a JC Higgins Model 20, 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge shotgun, pump action, 21 inch barrel. The dealer said it had been "safety checked" and should be good to go.

I did some Internet research and have some idea on the history/age, and all reports mention the strength and craftmanship of this shotgun. The shotgun seems to be in solid mechanical condition.

Just to be sure, my question is would todays ammo be too much for this old scatter gun?

I recently bought a JC Higgins Model 20, 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge shotgun, pump action, 21 inch barrel. The dealer said it had been "safety checked" and should be good to go.

I did some Internet research and have some idea on the history/age, and all reports mention the strength and craftmanship of this shotgun. The shotgun seems to be in solid mechanical condition.

Just to be sure, my question is would todays ammo be too much for this old scatter gun?

I have the same gun in a Model 66, semi-auto. They were sold by Sears during the 50ties and 60ties. Great firing gun! And have had no problems with todays ammo.
I spent a little time on the net (Google) and was able to find a complete parts chart and diagram of the gun.
A dealer's safety check is an visual inspection and a 'firing' of the gun. If you don't have complete confidence in the dealer you purchased it from, another should be willing to inspect & test fire it, while you wait, for a small fee.

Frog.

Thanks for the reply Frog. Do you think lead or steel shot would make a difference? I've found a couple of comments/testimonials where lead shot is specifically mentioned.

I honestly do not know. My 'gut' would say both should be fine, but I'll stick with the lead. I think the lead is easier on any barrel and provides a bit of lubrication.

Frog.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads