JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Found this on another forum.

Found 2 different sources that claim the 12 ga JC Higgins/Sears/H&R is or has been up for recall due to bolt issues.

Anyone know anything about this???? :insane:

Those may be hard to find a bolt for. Sears has issued a recall for them, offering $160 for the return.Shotgunworld.com • View topic - J.C.Higgins HELP

The JC Higgins bolt action shotguns were made for sears by H & R I believe. The 12 gauges are not safe to shoot. the locking luggs on the bolt is not strong enough for a 12 gauge. The 16 and 20s are fine because there is more metal there.

If you call Sears and ask them about the recall on them they will give you a number to call. You call the number and give them your address and they send you a box to mail them the bolt and they send you a check for $160.00 if I remember right .

I had one of this for years. I loved the gun for squirrel hunting but when I found out about the recall I sent the bolt back for the money. A guy I know would go to flea markets and such and buy them and send them back for the money. You could but them for $50 or $60 . I would like to find a nice 16 or 20 gauge to hunt with.

Jimhttp://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=39393

I've only heard that the recall was unnecessary. Something about the bolt-related-injuries being the result of one guy removing the bolt stop screw. Purportedly, this guy removed his bolt stop screw, and as a result the bolt hit him when he cycled it a little too hard. Also, supposedly 3 different manufacturers produced an identical shotgun like this. Sears, High Standard, and JC Higgins. Only Sears did the recall.

Again, I've only heard this. I may be totally wrong.

Also, I've tried researching it, but can't find anything; I really need to know! Will this Bolt Action 12GA shoot 3" shells?

About the JC Higgins 12 gauge.My 1st post by the way...so hello everyone.My Dad won 2 of these guns in 1954.I still have one and I dont believe there is any problems with the bolt.

BOLT action? I have a Higgins Pump-action from my grandfather that is solid as a rock. It was his primary hunting weapon for 50 years (and he hunted for food for 20 of those,) and I've probably put an equal number of rounds through it purely in target practice in the past 10 since I inherited it. No problems with it at all. (I didn't know they MADE a bolt action version.)

It's a blast to shoot ! The action is not the best but it works. The only complaint I have is it only shoot 2 3/4 shells, other than that I love to shoot it. It's a model 583.20 I believe, I will check tomorrow to make sure.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top