JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an old JC Higgens semi-auto 12 gauge, it won't extract the shell after it fires, I cant find a gun smith to look at it. Ive called a few shops around here and no one will look at it. I tried the place Allison and carry and a place in canby. I would like this old guy to work again. Can anyone help me figure this out?

I have an old JC Higgens semi-auto 12 gauge, it won't extract the shell after it fires, I cant find a gun smith to look at it. Ive called a few shops around here and no one will look at it. I tried the place Allison and carry and a place in canby. I would like this old guy to work again. Can anyone help me figure this out?
It may help to know what major brand it is, the link should help with that.

@Velzey may be able to help as well.

What is the model number of the shotgun...need that so I can cross reference the gun and find the actual maker.
When that is known...then maybe we can find a extractor....

Also ....
Has the gun been cleaned , as in thoroughly....I ask not to be a smart azz...but a good cleaning , can help at times with extraction issues....
Andy

What is the model number of the shotgun...need that so I can cross reference the gun and find the actual maker.
When that is known...then maybe we can find a extractor....

Also ....
Has the gun been cleaned , as in thoroughly....I ask not to be a smart azz...but a good cleaning , can help at times with extraction issues....
Andy
I'll get the model number (possibly Model 60) , gun had been cleaned and reblued.

My (grandads) model 60 likes heavy loads. You can dial the gas in to run better with bird shot. Take off the fore stock. There will be a castle nut over springs, tighten or loosen depending upon loads. I believe there is also a gas port i.e. an AR gas block that can become corroded. Remove the spring/castle unit and clear the plugged holes. Hope this helps.

My (grandads) model 60 likes heavy loads. You can dial the gas in to run better with bird shot. Take off the fore stock. There will be a castle nut over springs, tighten or loosen depending upon loads. I believe there is also a gas port i.e. an AR gas block that can become corroded. Remove the spring/castle unit and clear the plugged holes. Hope this helps.
Its been cleaned, it fires but wont eject the shells

Mebbe just a little more info as extract and eject are very different.
Does the bolt pull the hull out of the chamber a little, but the hull does'nt flip out the ejection port? Or does the bolt come back but leave the hull in the chamber? Does the bolt pull the hull out but then try to stuff the empty back in the chamber?
Lotsa good guys here will try to help.

Joe

Its been cleaned, it fires but wont eject the shells
As I stated, seems like a gas problem. Corrosion only being secondary. Adjust tension on castle nut. It acts as an adjustable Gass block. There's plenty info online. Enter jc higgens model 60 gas adjustment in the Google bar.

You disagree, but won't confirm if you've adjusted gas, or even looked into it. Ok feller, good

I disagree
Send it on my way I'll fix it for you for $75 an hour. It'll take 3-4 hours and a box of the load you want to shoot. Does that sound like a lot? More than the gun is worth? That's what a reputable smith will charge. Or you could just listen to the guy who's fixed more than one! Or disagree, by all means, you seem to understand your firearm better than I.

20211111_213044.jpg

Send it on my way I'll fix it for you for $75 an hour. It'll take 3-4 hours and a box of the load you want to shoot. Does that sound like a lot? More than the gun is worth? That's what a reputable smith will charge. Or you could just listen to the guy who's fixed more than one! Or disagree, by all means, you seem to understand your firearm better than I.

View attachment 1068717
Hahahahahah Hahahahahah hahahahahahahahahahahahhahh

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top