JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shelved since 2018, this Washington gun law may finally be implemented soon
State officials have decided to push forward a voter-approved measure requiring annual background checks of pistol and semiautomatic rifle owners.

Gov. Jay Inslee's administration is now working to implement a 2018 voter-approved firearms background-check law that Washington officials had quietly set aside due to logistical and legal hurdles.

The administration's reversal comes after a September report by Crosscut documenting how state officials in 2020 concluded it wasn't cost-effective or efficient to implement the new law requiring annual background checks on people who own pistols and semiautomatic rifles. A spokesperson for the governor's office went further, saying in September that "there is not a way to legally conduct the check under our current system."

And the category is... the slow erosion of constitutional rights.

73cpnn.jpg

How are they going to enforce this policy? Will it be voluntary because there are a lot of semi auto's in the state that the state does not have records for. Remember the good old days of it being legal to sell or buy a firearm person to person? I just can't see thousands of people lining up to go through a yearly background check voluntarily but what do I know? :s0092:

How are they going to enforce this policy?
Well, one way could be to 'threaten' gun owners (who have bought guns via 4473 and are in the 'system' and can be identified they will face confiscation if they fail to get the annual BGC.

Yea, yea I understand they can't get to everyone due to sheer numbers but they could do a lot of 'random' contacts, letters etc. to people in the hopes of scaring others into it.

Also I assume by pistol and semiautomatic rifle owners - they mean semi auto pistols only - and not revolvers?

Also I assume by pistol and semiautomatic rifle owners - they mean semi auto pistols only - and not revolvers?
Nope. ALL pistols unfortunately. And by background checks, they mean the normal plus medical/health records. You know, for those that have "mental health issues". Gotta keep them away from those weapons of war!!

How are they going to enforce this policy? Will it be voluntary because there are a lot of semi auto's in the state that the state does not have records for. Remember the good old days of it being legal to sell or buy a firearm person to person? I just can't see thousands of people lining up to go through a yearly background check voluntarily but what do I know? :s0092:
I'd imagine that they will automatically re-run BGCs on anyone who bought a pistol or SAR after the new form was added in 2018.

You'll never know unless you fail.

plus medical/health records.
I understand that right there is patently illegal...
There's no reason to go searching for medical records unless there's a reason to suspect impropriety.

Original challenges to I-1639 were GVR'd from the 9th not long ago, so not sure what Jakov Jay thinks he is going to do. Parts or all of that measure will likely be tossed.

Well, one way could be to 'threaten' gun owners (who have bought guns via 4473 and are in the 'system' and can be identified they will face confiscation if they fail to get the annual BGC.

Washington CPL holders are the obvious first target if the state government actually tries to go through with this. WA CPLs are good for five years but CPL holders are not exempt from the I-1639's annual background check requirement.

Last Edited:
There's no reason to go searching for medical records unless there's a reason to suspect impropriety.
From WA AG Ferguson's office:

Do Washington's background check requirements violate privacy protections for firearms purchasers' medical information such as HIPAA?

No. Under Washington law, a signed application to purchase a pistol constitutes a waiver of confidentiality and written request that the Health Care Authority, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities release, to an inquiring court or law enforcement agency, information relevant to the applicant's eligibility to purchase a pistol. Effective July 1, 2019, that waiver of confidentiality provision is expanded to include applications to purchase a semiautomatic assault rifle.

Washington CPL holders are the obvious first target if they actually try to go through with this.
If you bought a pistol or SAR after they added language that says you waive confidentiality, you signed up for it. Everyone else should be safe.

Screenshot_20221206-201005.png

From WA AG Ferguson's office:

Do Washington's background check requirements violate privacy protections for firearms purchasers' medical information such as HIPAA?
No. Under Washington law, a signed application to purchase a pistol constitutes a waiver of confidentiality and written request that the Health Care Authority, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities release, to an inquiring court or law enforcement agency, information relevant to the applicant's eligibility to purchase a pistol. Effective July 1, 2019, that waiver of confidentiality provision is expanded to include applications to purchase a semiautomatic assault rifle.
That's a crock of shiit. Consider the source. Sideshow Bob himself!

So, "an inquiring court or law enforcement agency"... The State doesn't even need a reason now? Just free to go snooping through people's "private" medical records? Wow, welcome to Nazi Germany... :rolleyes:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads