Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Japanese Nambu Showa 18.12 (1943) Model 14

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Hedrin, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Hedrin

Hedrin Portland area Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Was looking through a bunch of really old stuff in storage, and I couldn't believe I came across a gun I totally forgot I had purchased. It would have been the mid 90's and I found it dirt cheap in an antique store on the Oregon Coast.

If I am identifying it correctly, it looks like a Japanese Nambu Showa 18.12 (1943) Model 14 made by the Toriimatsu factory of the Nagoya Arsenal. I remember it coming with a leather clamshell case, but it was in very poor condition. I have managed to lose that somewhere, but it may still emerge (stored it in a gun case with some desiccant). It is a little worse for the storage, with a bump of rust on the barrel that I am currently giving some gentle loving treatment. Sorry, not my best pics, but my favorite light died and I have yet to get a replacement that I like.

In this kind of condition, does anyone have an idea of that is is worth? Bore looks good. All the numbers are matching, including frame, slide, knob, grips, striker, and the striker spring guide. NambuM14_01.jpg

NambuM14_02.jpg

NambuM14_03.jpg

NambuM14_04.jpg

NambuM14_05.jpg

NambuM14_06.jpg

NambuM14_08.jpg

NambuM14_09.jpg

Chee-to and Sgt Nambu like this.
  2. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

3. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Cool gun! I was just reading in Handguns Magazine about the Japanese Type 94, 26 and 14. 14 being the Nambu. The enlarged trigger guard says yours is pre-world War II, post 1939. The type 14s manufactured at that time were primarily for wars in Northern China and even Siberia and the large trigger guards were to allow the use of gloves.

4. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

Are these the ones that can fire a chambered round by tapping the slide?

5. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

soberups likes this.
  6. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

A loaded Luger slide, off the frame. Will also fire if you push the exposed trigger bar. :eek:

wwII 007.jpg