JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since smaller earthquakes are usually imperceivable to humans I would not say that 4.0-5-9 magnitude earthquakes are imperceivable to humans. I have been within 100 miles of 2 earthquakes of this magnitude in my life and I felt both of them.

the number of seismometers has a direct correlation effect with the amount of recorded earthquakes. This fact is not based on assumption. If my town hires 10 more police officers, does this mean the crimes reported will definitely increase proportionately? Only if more people commit more crimes. What about if the town I live in posts a grocery store on every single corner? Will the total amount of groceries sold increase in proportion to the increase in stores? Only if more people buy more groceries. I would agree that there is an increase in earthquakes and an increase in the # of seismometers , but that does not in any way rule out the idea that there are more earthquakes within the 4.0-5.9 range happening.

In terms of global events, this is like saying it's been colder in the past week then the average temperature for the past 9 months. Both are interesting tidbits of information, but it would be reckless to draw any major conclusions from such insufficient data. I definitely agree, although I am not drawing any major conclusions, just merely pointing out that the total # of quakes over the last 20 year has trended up in relation to.....only the last 20 years. As you say, 20 years isn't much.

Like Physicsguy said, of real importance is the fact that we in the Northwest are overdue for a major quake and should allow this to be an eye opener for those that aren't prepared to take action and prepare to the best of their ability.

I guess my main problem is with the way every time there is a disaster the walls exude those claiming proof of the end of the world. Since the early days of Christianity the woe mongers have claimed the end was near. Actually, this is incorrect, at least the woe part. Titus 2 calls this "the blessed hope", hardly a woeful message. Religion depends on fear and the enforced acceptance of carefully manufactured texts to keep the sheep in the flock. I can't speak to this because my only experiance is from the Bible and I am hardly afraid of anything let alone forced to believe anything. As for the carefully manufactured texts, when I read this I couldn't help but think of your quote from wikipedia that had a phantom, manufactured statement found nowhere on the USGS website, right in the middle of a paragraph quoting the USGS. Also, the statistics you used to "prove" total earthquakes reported hadn't risen only showed magnitudes 7-9.9, leaving out the magnitude catagories that clearly show an increase. Strange....maybe you think baby earthquakes aren't real earthquakes until they reach a certain size

I just finished reading a history of the 14th century in which the zealots of fairy tales claimed the plague was a sure sign of the end of the world.........been 600 years since then and no end of the world. it was most definitely the end of the world for those that contracted the plague.......before you get mad, that was just a joke

I used the heaviest magnitude earthquakes in the sample I posted earlier since that is the range that causes most damage, below 3 they are usually not even felt, and less than 6 rarely cause the type of widespread damage the Bible thumpers use for justification of their delusional ranting. The Bible says nothing of widespread damage due to earthquakes, it says "and earthquakes in various places" Matt. 24. I think the idea has something to do with what someone posted earlier about being likened to birthpangs or a woman in labor. A woman in labor will have many small to midsize contractions leading up to childbirth. Usually far more in number than the larger contractions she has in childbirth.

You are of course free to believe what you want, but don't try to push your fantasy based "facts" onto others.Well, luckily the only facts I posted were direct links to a complete chart on the USGS website

It insults your audience. something you apparently are not concerned about doing.[/

Alas, I have digressed far enough and responded to a religious rant with a religious rant. Back to earthquakes.

I guess my main problem is with the way every time there is a disaster the walls exude those claiming proof of the end of the world. Since the early days of Christianity the woe mongers have claimed the end was near. Religion depends on fear and the enforced acceptance of carefully manufactured texts to keep the sheep in the flock. I just finished reading a history of the 14th century in which the zealots of fairy tales claimed the plague was a sure sign of the end of the world.........been 600 years since then and no end of the world. I used the heaviest magnitude earthquakes in the sample I posted earlier since that is the range that causes most damage, below 3 they are usually not even felt, and less than 6 rarely cause the type of widespread damage the Bible thumpers use for justification of their delusional ranting.
You are of course free to believe what you want, but don't try to push your fantasy based "facts" onto others. It insults your audience.
Truth is nobody knows what is gonna happen tomorrow. Gotta be prepared as best we can just in case something of this or any other nature strikes close. I'm sure from the outside looking in all the science and religious rantings matter.. but if we were in the affected area of Japan this would look a lot like the end of the world right now.

Religion has no place in a thread about an earthquake, earthquakes have nothing to do with god or religion, leave the religion for the praying afterwords if you like, but the ethereal neither caused this nor can it prevent this. I suppose you might consider close proximity and pull of the moon is as close to ethereal as you can get to a cause for the earthquake.

"You are of course free to believe what you want, but don't try to push your fantasy based "facts" onto others. It insults your audience. "
You mean like you are doing here?

Religion has no place in a thread about an earthquake, earthquakes have nothing to do with god or religion, leave the religion for the praying afterwords if you like, but the ethereal neither caused this nor can it prevent this. I suppose you might consider close proximity and pull of the moon is as close to ethereal as you can get to a cause for the earthquake.

I respectfully disagree... My point earlier in this thread was simply what I had read in Matt. 24. I was only stating an opinion about what appeared to me to be an increase in earthquakes and how the bible talks about it, nothing more, nothing less. To say that earthquakes have nothing to do with God is kind of funny to read if you believe there is a God (you know what I believe) he would be the designer of everything natural including the moon and the tectonic plates. I meant no offense when I brought it up, simply sharing what I read and thought it was interesting. can't talk about much of anything anymore without offending somebody, if I offended I am sorry, to you as well MA Duce.

Anyway, as gunnoob mentioned nobody knows what will happen or when but it would be good to be prepared.

Take care.

I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic schools and have studied religion extensively in my past, I've found when it comes to science it's best to stick to science and not the bible, just my own personal belief, I do respect your right to believe whatever you wish though.

Great post barefoot343!

"I meant no offense when I brought it up, simply sharing what I read and thought it was interesting. can't talk about much of anything anymore without offending somebody,..."

I agree with you.. it could be Gods work. If not I hope God helps them now anyways.

Howard

Um, if you won't allow religion that's OK but it is mentioned in many places in scripture as preceding the return of Yashua-Messiah (Jesus) Matthew 24 being just one place

Verse 3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of this age?

Nation in the following passage = race = race wars..

Verse 7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

This belief has a strong place in the Christian religion. Just sayin'...

Surah 22, Ayah 1 "O mankind! Fear your Lord! For the convulsion (earthquake) of the Hour (of Judgment) will be a terrible thing."

if you get to quote the bible,,can i quote the koran?.
( just being a turdhead,, i'm not religious.):p

this is some bullbubblegum right here, gentlemen.

person in authority position telling you you're not allowed to present your religion in the presence of his.

OK, with Japan's earthquake, The Port of Crescent City is totally destroyed. Oregon State Defense Force and the State National Guard was on alert yesterday not activated. The Port of Brookings/Harbor is very heavily damaged. I had security duty there today, there are very few docks left standing except for a few on the south part, or the commercial part. A good many put out to sea when alerted. All low areas were evacuated, and the same with residents on the river and up stream. Millions of dollars of damage, but thankfully no loss of life related to the Tsunami. Inspection this PM by Oregon's Governor. Some boats were sunk, and most were damaged. Several water rescues, with one death in Crescent City. I understand the 101 highway was closed from Crescent City to Trinadad was closed to traffic, but is now open.

this is some bullbubblegum right here, gentlemen.

person in authority position telling you you're not allowed to present your religion in the presence of his.

It's not my position it's the forum rules. This is where it's hard to be a moderator because people will make assumptions of motives if you enforce the rules and then make other assumptions if you don't enforce the rules.

3. No religious discussion and/or material.

Everyone has their own beliefs, whether they be extremely devout or believe in nothing at all. This community welcomes everyone, no matter their religion, race, sex, age, creed, marital status, or disability. Since this topic has very little to do with firearms and a great potential to offend others, it's best that we leave it alone.

I didn't make the rule it was here before I ever signed up. I would speculate the rule is here because of religious discussions tend to divide us rather than unite us.

If I delete the religious posts because they are breaking the rules without saying anything in the thread people will be offended, if I delete the threads and make a note in the thread that this is against the rules people will be offended and question my motives, it's a no win situation.

Yes, it runs twenty miles off the coast from here. Overdue according to historical records. Estimated force around 9 to 10 catagory. We have had numerous small ones that get over looked due shape of the ocean foor and force is tempered by the water. The big one will be no warning, and as soon as able after the tremer, go to high ground. There is only minutes before the quake and the water hits.
The distant ones like the Japan one, you have several hours with the surges traveling 500 mph or more. High winds and storms today, that will most likely add to the already almost totally destroyed harbors. Not sure what kind of insurance the boat owners have, or if it is a wash with an act of God. One friend's boat is beached and totaled, and another moored next to his, a sailboat is just a few dings and was secured. Who knows what today's wind and rain will do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top