JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Japan seemed like such a powerhouse 20 years ago, buying up properties and companies here in the USA. They have managed to avoid the corona virus epidemic so far, but that may all be ending. Another densely populated country may be getting grief.

The low level so far is probably because unlike the USA and Canada, even New Zealand and Australia, Japan has a VERY small ex-pat Chinese population to call Japan home. I was there almost nine years, and never once encountered a Chinese person - visitor or resident.

No/low Chinese population = nobody from China bringing the virus into Japan.

Snap! Calling it like it is, @tac.
I'd suspect that's the same reason why Washington County OR has the highest number of reported cases in Oregon. Intel employs a very large number of Chinese nationals.

As for Vancouver BC, I'm only quoting the figures. A few Chinese land and a short while later, 180 other locals test + for CV.

Ah, sure, it's just a coincidence.....:rolleyes:

Japan just stopped all incoming air travel from most of Asia and the US. They are expecting a big outbreak. One reason they have had low numbers so far was because of the lack of testing. However, not many have actually fallen I'll until recently. They were ahead of the curve when they shut down all public k-12 schools last month. People ridiculed them but now the rest of the world is doing it. While they have always practiced social distancing as a society, they will need to shut down their mass transit system which is the life blood of Japan. That will be devastating.

I'm Japanese, but I've been skeptical of their case numbers. Japan didn't jump on the travel restrictions with China, and they are in close proximity geographically.

Just until recently they actually planned to start Summer Olympics in Tokyo on schedule & had wondered if it influenced the test numbers. I hope not, but you know, politics.

I would love to see a no welcome sign for chinese nationals.

In our colleges/universities/tech jobs and elsewhere.

Why?

Am I being a bigot?

Nope, they're enemies that steal our technology and much else and we let them because we're so afraid of being labeled racist.

You ARE being a bigot. You're lumping ALL Chinese nationals together. You do know there are LOTS that have nothing to do with tech.

Good lord man, that's as stereotypical as one can get.

Ehhh......this isn't just spread by Chinese people. :rolleyes:
In case this was directed at me: In the beginning when Japanese people criticized the Prime Minister's decision not to restrict travel, coronavirus was reported to be coming out of China. This was weeks ago. Either way, I stand corrected, because I'm not sure how effective early travel restriction would've been anyway. Thinking about it now, I'd be skeptical.

In case this was directed at me: In the beginning when Japanese people criticized the Prime Minister's decision not to restrict travel, coronavirus was reported to be coming out of China. This was weeks ago. Either way, I stand corrected, because I'm not sure how effective early travel restriction would've been anyway. Thinking about it now, I'd be skeptical.

Nope, it wasn't directed at you. I was merely stating a fact, and pointing out that lumping Chinese people into some kind of "virus spreading race" is unfair.

Nope, it wasn't directed at you. I was merely stating a fact, and pointing out that lumping Chinese people into some kind of "virus spreading race" is unfair.
I mostly stopped eating out/takeout since the outbreak, but one exception was my local Chinese restaurant if that tells you anything.

Unfortunately, waitress was telling me they may close as of last Friday. "People are scared." :(

Snap! Calling it like it is, @tac.
I'd suspect that's the same reason why Washington County OR has the highest number of reported cases in Oregon. Intel employs a very large number of Chinese nationals.

And since Intel is an "essential" business and has to keep working. There are thousands of people from all over the world in the Ronler Acres fab / facility every day. Employees, contract workers and construction workers. Since Intel supported the Corporate Activity tax in exchange for a lower rate than the rest of the business' in the state, and they donated 1 million, ( a couple hours profits) to some relief group, Oregon Governor Korrupt Kate was high fiving them in social media this morning for doing so.

Now I am sure there is absolutely no connection to the tax support, the donation, and political support and money and Kate allowing "essential" business's to keep operating even though Washington County has the highest number of cases in the state. It is just those small business's that need to shut down, not these mega corps that have thousands on site every day. Those small business's are much more dangerous than large companies like Intel or Nike with thousands of people there every day.

So with the large petri dish companies working, the airlines moving people all over the United States every day, there is about zero chance they can stop further spread of this. Give the big corps a pass so they can still keep making money, but slam the door and screw the small business's right out of business.

You might think this is strange talk coming from a die hard conservative, but there are factions in the Democratic party that hide behind the rank and file wage earners, who are making huge money making deals with the devil
(Korrupt Kate / Oregon Legislature), despite their public persona of "screw the big business's", we are all for the little guy" charade. They will jump into bed with any of the companies, despite their size, when those companies start scratching checks to them. This crisis has only now fully exposed the corruption in our state government where money buys you favor and the state can wring their hands about how unprepared they are and need more money.

At some point in time the government has to get some kind of a handle on this, but so far it is just business as usual. Now all you boogaloo goons make sure you stay home, no setting up roadblocks or plundering toilet paper from the old folks, your time will come soon enough if the government keeps dicking around like they are.

who are making huge money making deals with the devil
Well put, and as you indicate, on so many levels
No strange talk.
This whole debacle saddens me, as the businesses that are a few million in revenue and smaller are going to take it in the shorts.
I am of the mindset that believes in the ingenuity and growth that small business provide.
The companies that will do best here: mega corps and Amazon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top