Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Jamming problems with Sprigfield XDs .45 ACP

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by wisemannot, May 13, 2013.

1. wisemannot

wisemannot Vancouver, WA New Member

I just bought a new Springfield XDs .45 ACP. I love the gun and it's features; however, I've been having problems with jamming when I use 45 hollow point cartridges. The gun tends to jam when I rack it with the .45 hollow point cartridge, no problems with regular .45 using the standard 5 magazine. I've also had similar problems with jamming when using a factory bought extended cartridge (7), using regular .45 ammunition. Someone told me that the jamming problem may tend to occur, when using certain "brands" of .45 hollow points. Also, it was mentioned that there tends to be an increased chance of jamming with extended magazines. This person recommended that I pose these questions to NWfirearms.com to see if anyone else has had the same problems, and if they have had any experience with specific brands of .45 hollow point ammunition that tend not to jam this beautiful weapon. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

2. Dannicus

Dannicus Tacoma Active Member

I think I have noticed what you are talking about. The gun is pretty crowded in the chamber area the way it is designed. It does not like to be chambered manually by first inserting the mag with the slide forward. You have to lock the slide to the rear and release it with the lever after inserting the mag. You should have no problems if you always release the slide with the lever.

3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

My buddy has the same issue with his. The only ammo that works is 200 or 230 grain hardball that I load. Plated or jacketed bullets work with normal operations of the pistol just fine.

4. ridnjon

ridnjon vancouver wa Active Member

Micro polish the feed ramp, should help the feeding

5. Dannicus

Have you handled an XDS? The feed ramp is mirror polished already.

6. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

use ball ammo, do you really need something to be "extra dead"?

7. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Not to hijack, but how do you guys like the XDs? Thinking about getting one for the wife, but I'm a little worried about the recoil. She hated shooting my 38 airweight, so did I for that matter... I'd prefer to shoot my Super Blackhawk in 44 mag over that any day.

8. Dannicus

I love it. Traded my Glock 26 for it to get something thinner. It's even more pleasant to shoot than the Glock and it has a much better trigger. The only malfunction I've had is one misfire, but I blame cheap TulAmmo.

Brutus57, slind and (deleted member) like this.
  9. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was looking at the Glock 36 or 30s as well.

10. eddieb

eddieb Tigard, OR Member

You say the gun is new. Have you cleaned out the shipping grease and relubed the pistol? If not, that, in an XDS, is most likely your problem. My XDS is lube sensitive. It likes a lighter grease. Oil pretty much just blows off.

11. hatchj

hatchj Milwaukie, OR Member

I'll have to shoot some hollowpoints through mine the next time I take it out, but mine has "hand" chambered hollowpoints no differently than fmj. (I've only shot fmj through it so far). I put a light coat of clp on mine and it seems to have held to the gun pretty well.

12. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

13. glockman99

glockman99 Hoquiam, WA. Active Member

That's a shame...My Glock 21 (Gen. 3) will feed, fire, and eject ANYTHING that I put in it.

Doc In UPlace and Nocaster like this.
  14. Matt15

Matt15 Maple valley Member

Your glock 21 is also a full size .45.
    For such a compact .45 handgun, I'm not surprised there are some issues. I however have not had any malfunctions with my xds.

Steve54 likes this.
  15. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

How many rounds have been put through it? Could be that it is not yet broke in. I have an xdm45 and it had a few stove pipes and jams until I got past about 200 rounds. Similar manufacturing methods, similar problems?

16. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

wisemannot. Trying to get this straight? Dose your gun have problems when you shoot it? Or when you cycle it buy hand? Is your problem like the one talked about in the thread I posted?

17. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

I have a XDm in .40 and a XD in .45 in the 5" size. I love both pistols. The large tactial one is hard to find a good holster for it.

18. nastybynature

nastybynature ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Active Member

Took my new XDs out for the first time today. Ran 100 rounds through it. No jams on the Blazer alum case which is all I shot today. I did have a bit of an issue with my trigger finger getting pinched.:confused: Probably my shooting style. Wife loved it and was dead accurate at 15-20 yards. May have to get another one for her. Will have to try some hollow point next time out. It was definitely alot of power in a little package but I am very happy with it thus far.:D

Brutus57 likes this.
  19. jcbcorp2001

jcbcorp2001 Kentucky New Member

I too had the same issues with the 7rnd extend mags. Try only putting 6rnds in and see if that helps. Seemed to work manually cycling the ammo through. I haven't tried it live firing yet. Hornady Critical Duty was the worse. I'm hoping it's just because the mag's are new and springs haven't broken in yet. We shall see. Love the pistol..great EDC! Good luck!

20. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

My only problem was when I had liberally lubed my 45 with 'Frog Lube" and then did not shoot it for 9 months or so. I had to re-clean and lightly lube using CLP works great. I clean it more often and re-lube lightly now.

I have the 9 and the 45 would recommend either.