JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My dad lives on ten acres north of Medford and outside of the Urban Growth Boundary. His land is on a hillside which makes a nice natural backstop. Can we shoot outdoors on our own private land or are there any Jackson County ordinances (noise, environmental, whatever) prohibiting us?

As a curiosity he would call his neighbors to the left and right to let them know we are going to be shooting, but do we also have to inform the County Sheriff?

Generally, discharging a firearm in city limits without good cause is an infraction.
When I lived in Clackamas County, I shot pistol in my barn.
When the area became the city of Damascus, I quit shooting at home.
If your Dad abides by Oregon hunting regulations, don't shoot across a road, not near buildings, not near or towards neighbors, etc
In my opinion, I would shoot on your Dad's property.

Ok thanks.

Anyone live in Jackson County know for sure?

I should have him check with the local rural fire department also since the place is a tinderbox right now.

Yes, that's the relative statute. (2)(c) looks to be the applicable portion here. There's no need to inform the sheriff to make shooting on your property legal. Might be nice to inform them or keep decent relations if they're pretty close.

***** 166.171 Authority of county to regulate discharge of firearms. (1) A county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within their boundaries.
***** (2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:
***** (a) A person discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property.
***** (b) A person discharging a firearm in the course of lawful hunting.
***** (c) A landowner and guests of the landowner discharging a firearm, when the discharge will not endanger adjacent persons or property.
***** (d) A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting.
***** (e) A person discharging a firearm in the course of target shooting on public land that is not inside an urban growth boundary or the boundary of a city, if the discharge will not endanger persons or property.
***** (f) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, discharging a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.

I shoot at my property from time to time and its no problem...if the neighbors don't like the shooting and call the Sheriff's office they may come out and ask you to stop. Jackson county Sheriff are friendly to shooters and long as your safe.

ORS166.171 Authority of county to regulate discharge of firearms. (1) A county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of firearms within their boundaries.
***** (2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:
***** (c) A landowner and guests of the landowner discharging a firearm, when the discharge will not endanger adjacent persons or property

Got it thanks. He is still going to call the neighbors so they don't freak out, and to make sure that their dogs aren't wondering over our fence.

It's legal to shoot where I live but to not bother the neighbors I generally don't shoot before 10 or 11 am. A little consideration goes a long ways even though most of my neighbors are shooters also

I just moved from there to Salem. It is outright LEGAL to shoot on your own property in Jackson Country if you're outside of city limits.

I lived on Old Military Road on the hill overlooking the valley and I set up a 100 yard range where a hill made a good backstop. I had a neighbor a few properties away who had set up range complete with a couple benches. I tended to go to his place so my neighbors wouldn't think it was me making all of the noise. :)

I always called my closest neighbors if I was about to shoot on my place to 1. find out if anyone was taking a nap, etc. and 2. to let them know it was just "me."

You do know about the very nice and free shooting range at the Jackson Country Sports Park in White City? If you don't, check it out. Go out 140 from White City and turn right into the Sports Park and you'll find the sign. Now that I think about it you sign in on an envelope and maybe put a couple of dollars in it and put that in a slot in a steel box. I didn't use it often but it's either dirt cheap or free. Nice covered benches, nice people...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top