JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This morning my friend Jack D. passed away.

Jack was a fixture at the Blue Pit range in Stevenson WA.

He was an LFI instructor under Mas Ayoob.

If you spent much time at the Stevenson range you've probably met him or at least seen him.

He was always quick to offer instruction. He would give the shirt off of his back.

Jack was an instructor with Project Appleseed.

He was my friend for over 32 years...

He will be missed..

W44

It's tough to lose a friend, that's for sure.

Watched a hunting partner die 2 weeks before hunting camp.

We're always blessed by the time we've spent with good folks.

It hurts to loose good people, I lost a good buddy about a month ago and just feel like he cannot be replaced, at the same time I would never try to replace him. I think the best I can do is make sure his grandson remembers him.

Jack was one of the first people that I met when I started working for the Forest Service in 1978.
Two things soon became apparent about Jack. He was a passionate man and he gave freely of his time.
He carried those qualities for the next 33 years without flagging or faltering.
He shared with us many skills and much information. From him, we learned about tree falling and mountain climbing, fire fighting and trail building.

I have compiled some responses that I’ve received from others regarding Jack’s passing.

Received from Patriot Guard Riders:

Ladies and Gentlemen of the PGR: We have been requested to stand the flag line for John "Jack" Deshong, 53, US Army Veteran, at his memorial service in Stevenson, WA. Jack served in Germany and his MOS was Mountain Rescue. He was honorably discharged in 1977 with a National Defense Medal and went to work for the US Forest Service and the Columbia Gorge Scenic Area until he was forced to retire with brain cancer in 2005. He was one of the founders of Wind River Search and Rescue for Skamania County in 1993 and was an active member until his passing on 19 January, 2011. Jack's volunteer spirit to help others in need will be sorely missed. MISSION DATE:January 29, 2011

MEMORIAL LOCATION:Skamania County Fairgrounds Exhibit Hall710 SW Rock Creek Drive Stevenson WA

Received from Massas Ayoob: “ Jack was a wonderful instructor. He was patient and kind. He had incredible diagnostic skills and at the risk of sounding cliché, His passing is a loss to the entire shooting community.”

From Northwest Firearms Association forum members:
“Sorry to hear about Jack. I first met him at the pit; he was training some other folks and asked me if I wanted to join in. Nice guy, and very helpful at the Appleseed Shoot. “
And: “Very sorry for your loss and the loss to the shooting sports. He sounds like one of the good guys.”
And “: Very sorry for your and the shooting communities loss. May he rest in peace.”

From Project Appleseed Forum members:
From Ohio: “No doubt he 7th Stepped St. Peter at the pearly gates! He truly sounds like a good man, Wheeler. Huzzah in his memory. Huzzah.”
And: “My sincere condolences and prayers go out to the friends and family of Jack, a departed Rifleman.”
From Illinois:
“Wheeler, Words aren't enough, but you know what's in my heart. God Bless.
And: “My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends. In mourning with my Appleseed family,”
From Michigan:
“He has the honor of meeting the Founders in person, now. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends,”
From Wisconsin:
“God Bless Jack and may he rest in peace.”
And many more….Too numerous to list

It is easy to see that Jack touched many people in his life.
He shared and gave freely of himself right up until his passing. In fact, just a couple weeks before his death he insisted on coming to the range for an informal shoot with some fellow Appleseeders that wanted to improve their shooting.
It was my privilege to know Jack and an honor to call him my friend.
May he rest in peace.

W44

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top