JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought some grey Pachmayr renegade grips for my model 60 round butt J Frame. They don't fit. The frame is wider along the backstrap, mostly the bottom half.
Is this normal?

Disclaimer: I'm not a S&W guy. It was inherited.

I just went thru this, my wife has a model 60 and I bought a set of grips in Houge packaging at a gun show that were marked for a S&W J frame. The grip didn't fit just like you say and the instructions in the package were for a different grip or model or something. So much for saving money, so I ordered the grip tamers off the Houge web site, when I got them I had to install a shorter locator pin and then had the grip on in 5 mins.

I just went thru this, my wife has a model 60 and I bought a set of grips in Houge packaging at a gun show that were marked for a S&W J frame. The grip didn't fit just like you say and the instructions in the package were for a different grip or model or something. So much for saving money, so I ordered the grip tamers off the Houge web site, when I got them I had to install a shorter locator pin and then had the grip on in 5 mins.
After reviewing the website, there is only 1 j frame model. There's nothing about revolver model number.

2018-02-18_1504SWsqrdbuttframe.png

As far as post WWII S&W's go, the J-frames have more variation than any other. The good news its easier to cut rubber than stainless.
Ok, this explains it. I have considered Dremeling the slot, but I haven't been very lucky lately, so I'm going to wait and see what Pachmayr says.

There are 2 grip options that I like for my Model 60. One is made by Sile and the other is made by Uncle Mike's. Sadly both are no longer being manufactured but they pop up now and then via ebay, Gb, etc. Here's one:

Thanks for the info. I'm not buying anything else out until I figure this out. Great price though! $16!

They sent me another, which I'm selling along with the first one. It seems my pistol doesn't like Pachmayr without slight modification. Hogue works great though.

Hogue for the win.
Thanks for tying up that story. :s0155:
Here's the rest of the story. (I've been busy on multiple fronts.)

While all this was going on I showed my wife some grips for her square 36. She decided on the camo laminates with finger groves and no checkering. I loved them so much that I had to order a set for the round 60.

So now I'm selling two sets of pachmayr grips and the plastic hogue grips that fit perfectly. If they don't sell, I'll stash them for a backup.

The Hogue laminates are kind of spendy, but wow are they nice. I know I'm going to lose money in the end, but I'll chalk it up to experience and walk away happy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top