JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mosin accuracy is a relative term
I built a Mosin PEM sniper clone off a 1936 Hex receiver that I'm quite happy with
but inside the belly is a Timney 2.5 lbs single stage trigger, a full floated barrel with a bedded shim only at the muzzle and Finn style shimmed and torqued action
chamber was honed with a .308 Flex hone to clean it up
and I cycled the bolt in the receiver 1000 times with J-B compound to lap the bolt to the receiver
literally - took weeks in the front yard - click-click click-click - my wife got tired of the sound in the house and made me go outside
also match grade Russian ammo helps
that's a 100 yrd target off sand bags

Vasili Zastav only wishes he had one of these

View attachment 698169 View attachment 698170 View attachment 698171 View attachment 698172

Nice looking gun, and all great info! How did you know where to put the shims/where did you find that info? I know this is an old school technique and its a little hard to find information on. Thats a good looking gun! Have you had any issues with that leather cheek riser wanting to "slide" towards action?

I bought my shims on line, came with a diagram of where to put them.
I have an old English translation of an old Finn booklet on accurizing the Mosin, I don't know where one would find such a booklet today
I never wrote down what i did, since each Mosin is different

also ammo - I found Brown Bear 174 gn to be the most accurate in mine

if you have sticky bolt on extraction, drop me a line - I have a tool and solution for that also

there used to be many YouTube videos on accurizing the Mosin, spend many my evenings watching these

each Mosin I have req

I bought my shims on line, came with a diagram of where to put them.
I have an old English translation of an old Finn booklet on accurizing the Mosin, I don't know where one would find such a booklet today
I never wrote down what i did, since each Mosin is different

also ammo - I found Brown Bear 174 gn to be the most accurate in mine

if you have sticky bolt on extraction, drop me a line - I have a tool and solution for that also

there used to be many YouTube videos on accurizing the Mosin, spend many my evenings watching these

each Mosin I have req

Ok, good to know, thanks! If you still have that book handy do you think you could upload a photo of it? I have my eyes set on a Finnish M39, and I am planning on using it to compete in military bolt action matches. Sounds like just the ticket. Did you notice an immediate improvement with the shims after following the directions? I've got an old late 1800s m91/30 stock that I noticed had original brass shims in it. I might have to try that lapping technique, smart! Ill let you know on the sticky bolt well, I definitely know what you are talking about. Good info on the brown bear too, I am considering casting my own ammo for the Mosin as well, ive got some Norma brass that should work well.

I accidently hit send

each Mosin I have required different fine tuning, there is no magic task to accurize one

No, the cheek rest doesn't slide, the sling dog collar goes through it

and remember, there were sighted in with the baronet attached, you'll need new sights if you plan to shoot without one

I use Mo Jo rear sights and Smith Sight front post on all my good shooters

it all depends on if you want a shooter or a historic wall hanger, but they can be accurized to match any period rifle

the Finns proved this with the M39

Ok, good to know, thanks! If you still have that book handy do you think you could upload a photo of it? I have my eyes set on a Finnish M39, and I am planning on using it to compete in military bolt action matches. Sounds like just the ticket. Did you notice an immediate improvement with the shims after following the directions? I've got an old late 1800s m91/30 stock that I noticed had original brass shims in it. I might have to try that lapping technique, smart! Ill let you know on the sticky bolt well, I definitely know what you are talking about. Good info on the brown bear too, I am considering casting my own ammo for the Mosin as well, ive got some Norma brass that should work well.
I'll have to look for the booklet, but this is available on line
now some Mosins have shot out barrels and will never be accurate, but with a good barrel, you will not an immediate improvement with shimming
if your looking for an M39, it will already be shimmed and floated, the Finns did that when each one was built
the advantage of the m39 is the heavy barrel, a stock Mosin barrel will heat up quickly in competition and start stringing the round vertically
I fire no more than one round a minute in my PEM sniper

I'll have to look for the booklet, but this is available on line
now some Mosins have shot out barrels and will never be accurate, but with a good barrel, you will not an immediate improvement with shimming
if your looking for an M39, it will already be shimmed and floated, the Finns did that when each one was built
the advantage of the m39 is the heavy barrel, a stock Mosin barrel will heat up quickly in competition and start stringing the round vertically
I fire no more than one round a minute in my PEM sniper

Awesome, thanks! Ive never handled or seen the intrrnals of an m39, so thats good to know, I didn't realize they were shimmed and floated. I got a Romy m44 for $49 in 2001, so thats my baseline. Nice scope FYI!

OK, this site is where I got my booklet when I ordered the accurizing kit

I think this is still an active site

The M38 does not use a bayonet. The barrel is thicker so the 91/30 bayonet will not interchange.
yes, but TNThomas has a M44 with a bayonet
my M38 is also shimmed and bedded and has a Mo Jo rear sight, front sight is stock since it doesn't have a bayonet
and with the thicker barrel, the M38 doesn't vertical string as bad as a 91/30 when hot, but I only shoot the M38 at 100 yrds

yes, but TNThomas has a M44 with a bayonet
my M38 is also shimmed and bedded and has a Mo Jo rear sight, front sight is stock since it doesn't have a bayonet
and with the thicker barrel, the M38 doesn't vertical string as bad as a 91/30 when hot, but I only shoot the M38 at 100 yrds
sorry, I meant my M38 is shimmed and floated - corked at the end of the stock
if I cant slip a piece of printer paper the length of the barrel, I rap a extended socket in sand paper and relieve the stock in the barrel channel
but an M38 kicks like a Mule with Brown Bear 174 gn loads - accurate as can be, but you notice the recoil with the heavier rounds

If anyone has a m44 or m38 they don't want and it's in decent condition I have 300$ in Albany waiting! I really want one of these beautiful guns.

I'm accurizing 2 of my Mosins this spring for my son and I, his Mosin ex dragoon and my 1931 91/30 hex

if anyone is interested in this project, I can start a new thread

they will have Mojo micro click rear sights, Smith adjustable front sights, Finn M39 2 stage triggers, Finn trigger springs, barrels shimmed, floated and corked

in fact there's a guy reproducing Finn M39 triggers on a CNC machine in the USA and I'll try one of these new triggers

the interupters will be fine tuned to prevent rim lock and allow easy stripper clip insertion

I'm putting a Mosin sniper bent bolt on mine, just because I prefer this for prone shooting

and have a beautiful post war laminated Arctic Birch stock to put on one of them

these will not be collectors grade or wall hangers, these will be range rifles!!

like the Finns, I'm taking the best parts from all my Mosins to build these 2 rifles

"I just watched the new Russian WW2 movie "The Last Frontier"
I didn't see a single bayonet on any of the Mosins."

Movies are known to have inaccuracies vis-a-vis firearms.
I've noticed this several years ago
anyone who has shot their Mosin 91-30 with the bayonet off knows you can't even hit a human silhouette at 100 yrds

I do have a Mosin ex-sniper that is set for use without a bayonet, but the front post is much shorter

I've noticed this several years ago
anyone who has shot their Mosin 91-30 with the bayonet off knows you can't even hit a human silhouette at 100 yrds

I do have a Mosin ex-sniper that is set for use without a bayonet, but the front post is much shorter
I hit silhouettes out to 300 yards without the bayonet on my M38, M44, and 91/30 without issue. I've also used a Mosin to successfully take deer out to around 250 yards. They're accurate rifles, but so many people complain because the bores are often sewer pipes and counterbored and have garbage surplus run through them. A matching Mosin with good bore (even without bayonet) can and will be more accurate than most people pulling the trigger. Sub MOA? No. Minute of Man? Definitely.

I hit silhouettes out to 300 yards without the bayonet on my M38, M44, and 91/30 without issue. I've also used a Mosin to successfully take deer out to around 250 yards. They're accurate rifles, but so many people complain because the bores are often sewer pipes and counterbored and have garbage surplus run through them. A matching Mosin with good bore (even without bayonet) can and will be more accurate than most people pulling the trigger. Sub MOA? No. Minute of Man? Definitely.
M38, sure
but an m44 and 91/30 without readjusting or replacing the sights? every Mosin I purchased, except the ex-sniper, was sighted in with the bayonet attached at the armory
the front sight on a standard 9130 with a bayonet is physically taller than the 9130 issued without bayonets (sniper selects) and offset to the bore
I have an unrefurbished 1942 M91-30 that definitely will not hit a silhouette at 100 yrds with the bayonet off, but shoots 2 MOA with the bayonet attached
once you take the bayonet off, that long, thin barrel flexes and the POI is no longer the same
did someone change the sight alinement before you got the rifles? what is the height of your front post?
from the armory, a M38 and an M44 do not have the same height front post - do yours?

and I have several Mosins that are shimmed and floated, with Finn triggers installed that will shoot MOA with Brown Bear 174 gn, but not with factory sights

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top