JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
congrats on your M38, I have an even dozen Mosen, including a '42 M38
I built a M91/30 PEM sniper that shoots MOA
a 1924 Mosin Dragoon
a 1936 decommissioned Sniper with the scope mount holes welded over
a Finn M39
but my favorite is a Finn Mosin M28 with a SIG barrel and a Finn pot belly stock

if you have any issues, drop me a line

P1030951.JPG P1030863.JPG P1030884.JPG 1924 ex-dragoon_4.JPG

for ammo for you M38, I've tested most ammo out there
what I find the most accurate in my Russian Mosins is Brown Bear 174 gn
non-corrosive, berdan primed, brown lacquered steel case, Bi Metal FMJ bullets
from the Barnaul factory

if you experience sticky bolt syndrome, again, let me know, I have a tool to correct that

I'd completely forgotten about it, but many years ago someone gave me a sporterized Mosin. It was in original 7.62x54R, but the stock had been cut back and also the original long barrel. It was marked, "Imported from Spain" which got me to wondering. Eventually, I found out that during the Spanish Civil War (1936-39), the Soviet Union had supported the Loyalist side with arms. This was one such, had been stored in Spain from the end of the Spanish Civil War to the 1960's, whereupon it was imported into the US. As I recall, it was a major surplus arms importer that did the sporterizing mods. I don't recall what happened to the example I had.

Later, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, whole bunches of surplus Mosins were imported here. I seem to recall Big 5 selling them for $79.95, sometimes less than that on a sale. I had a few, they were too inexpensive to resist. One such was an M38, I forget what year. One thing I remember is that the bores varied from .309 to .313 in size. I was watching some footage on cable TV recently taken during the battle for Berlin, 1945. Some Soviet artillerymen were blasting away down a city street; they all had short rifles slung over their backs.

1) Is it a fairly safe bet that rifles with WW2 and prev. years likely saw action? The scene in "Enemy at the Gates" where they hand out magazines and tell the troops to pick up a rifle from the fallen is historically accurate, so I can't imagine that they were leaving wartime production rifles to just sit.
2) Agree that the M38 is a totally cool carbine. I can't think of too many more robust designs. A M38 with laminated stock would be as rugged as anything you could find. It's pretty hard to find beta testing as demanding as Stalingrad.
3) "I seem to recall Big 5 selling them for $79.95..."
Yup, me too.
4) A 91/30 with the bayonet deployed is also a pretty good pike.

the Russian splice is a tribute to the Russian craftsmen who maintained these rifles in war time condition

the front of the stock was very susceptible to split during a bayonet lunge

because new Arctic Birch stocks were rare during Stalingrad, some wood worker took the time to make this splice and return the rifle to field use

we have to respect the skill of such a master wood worker

I know I could never accomplish such a task

Coolio on the Camel Corps- Ya gotta know that those guys lived a rough life out on the Eurasian steppe and deserts! Wonder it they ever got to use them sabers?
Ive got a 91-30, in decent shape.. not near the "buck and roar" I was led to expect, compared to my M38 it's just a <POOT> while the M38 registers on seismographs from here to Canada... in the evening it's like an A-bomb flash... The mosins have their issues- they feel "clunky", very unhandy safety, barrel too long (or too short), Ive handled smoother bolts- still they go bang on command and can be as accurate as any common hunting rifle..
Ive pondered on cutting down a 91-30 to 25", perhaps mounting a flash suppressor and scope (or not).. and finding or making a sporter stock for it... Just to be tinkering with it...Then again I don't want to ruin a good original military rifle! - i'd never do that to a Mauser or Lee-Enfield... Might be just as good buying a hunting rife used or off the rack at Wally... <sigh> So many guns, so little time!

Last Edited:
Interesting that the Camel Corps was brought up. Because I just saw an article about America's Camel Corps in the magazine "Guns Of The Old West" (Summer 2020 issue).

Yup.....I can remember that time that I visited the grave of "Hi Jolly" in AZ.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top