JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SO I'm thinking about getting an X95. The problem is that I'm left-handed. If I buy the X95, do I need to buy extra components to covert it to left-hand, or can all of the parts just switch over without me having to buy anything else?
Also, general thoughts/experiences/reviews of this weapon system.

FullSizeRender-1-1024x769.jpg

My understanding is that it requires changing the bolt. Unfortunately they don't trust you to do it yourself and you're supposed to send it in to an authorized dealer/distributor (according to IWI <broken link removed> .

The picture you posted is from Copper Custom. They offer a conversion for $165.

I've spent a lot of time with bullpups, primarily the FS2000 and the AUG, and a bit of time with the Tavor SAR. I haven't had the opportunity to actually shoot the X95, but I did spend a several minutes inspecting it and running through manipulations.

So take this for what it's worth with no actual shooting time...

All the bullpups I've worked with are great, but the FS, AUG and Tavor SAR all need some work ($) to make them right. The X95 is good to go right out of the box.

It's more comfortable than the SAR, and the AR style mag release is an improvement. Unlike the AUG, there's plenty of rail space and the X95 is ambidextrous out of the box (except for lefty conversion of course...but I mean you can operate it ambi). Unlike the FS, there are actually decent spots to mount the sling and you don't have to buy the brick of a tri-rail. And the stock X95 trigger is excellent (unlike all the others).

YMMV

If you are not wedded to the idea of an X95 and can get past the action release, you may consider the Springfield Hellion.

Not as "chunky" as a Tavor and is readily convertible to left-handed use.

Just something to consider.

WMB

If you are not wedded to the idea of an X95 and can get past the action release, you may consider the Springfield Hellion.

Not as "chunky" as a Tavor and is readily convertible to left-handed use.

Just something to consider.

WMB
IMO the Hellion's ergonomics aren't great, but that's another option. I'm not sure what you mean by the Tavor being chunky, if you're thinking of the Tavor SAR then I'd see what you mean but the X95 is similar if even more compact than the Hellion.

Agreed. The bulk of my experience with the Tavor is with the SAR, though I have used the X95 periodically.

Both weapons have to adhere to BATFE OAL limits (in the US).

The Tavors (in my opinion) are "overbuilt" to a certain degree. Is that possible for a military weapon? Time would render a verdict on that issue. Perhaps the dawn of disposable weapons is upon us, not sure yet. The SAR and X95 are built to "Conscript proof" standards, which makes allowances for extra abuse.

The Hellions ergos are an aquierd taste for sure, however, being able to adjust from "righty" to "lefty" without factory support strongly favors the Hellion.

Just another option, that's all.

WMB

For anyone interested, the Kel-Tec RDB is ambi right out of the box. You can switch shooting stance on the fly and it has a pretty decent manual of arms for a bullpup.

This is one of their later designs. Reliability is pretty solid and I have had zero issues. The only jams have been intentionally indues for rapid-action drills. I will say that in any bullpup malf-clearing is a pain, but this one is probably one of the better ones. You still have to turn it upside down, but you can at least get your fingers into the action to pull a stuck cartridge out (and I have short stubby fingers, so that is saying something).

Over all I think KT has better luck with their rifles than their shotguns. Shotguns are just more finicky than rifles. Mag tub shell retention, lifters, action timing. . . shotguns are actually pretty complicated when it comes to feeding. A rifle is just stripping a cartridge off the top of a magazine. As long as the feed lip and chamber geometry are correct the cartridge will go in. I think KT has their rifles pretty well dialed in, but those double tube monstrosities and the weird bulpup setup messes with standard shotgun operation way more than it messes with a rifle.

This is one of their later designs. Reliability is pretty solid and I have had zero issues. The only jams have been intentionally indues for rapid-action drills. I will say that in any bullpup malf-clearing is a pain, but this one is probably one of the better ones. You still have to turn it upside down, but you can at least get your fingers into the action to pull a stuck cartridge out (and I have short stubby fingers, so that is saying something).

Over all I think KT has better luck with their rifles than their shotguns. Shotguns are just more finicky than rifles. Mag tub shell retention, lifters, action timing. . . shotguns are actually pretty complicated when it comes to feeding. A rifle is just stripping a cartridge off the top of a magazine. As long as the feed lip and chamber geometry are correct the cartridge will go in. I think KT has their rifles pretty well dialed in, but those double tube monstrosities and the weird bulpup setup messes with standard shotgun operation way more than it messes with a rifle.
Gotcha, I think over time they have got the KSG a lot more dialed VS the newer KS7. Bullpup's are always gonna have their kinks no matter what you have. I guess another good point on the RDB's part is that it is USA made versus the Croatian Hellion. That and with the recent invasion of Israel I'm sure X95 parts and manufacturer support are gonna get scarce pretty fast.

Gotcha, I think over time they have got the KSG a lot more dialed VS the newer KS7. Bullpup's are always gonna have their kinks no matter what you have. I guess another good point on the RDB's part is that it is USA made versus the Croatian Hellion. That and with the recent invasion of Israel I'm sure X95 parts and manufacturer support are gonna get scarce pretty fast.
Yeah, I hated any bullpup for the longest time, but now that they have some true ambi models available I have warmed up a bit. Over all I find the manual of arms to be a lot more difficult, but the smaller size makes everything else easier. It is a trade off, and I still very much like my big chonky rifles, but I find bullpups have their place now too and have started recommending them for appropriate situations.

I have always liked Kel-Tec too, but I do not see most of their stuff as anything buy range toys. The RDB does sit on a higher shelf, it seems to be made with duty work in mind, and every example I have seen reflects that. But even there it would not be my first choice if I had to take it somewhere it would not see regular maintenance. I think it is a fantastic choice for things like home defense as it will never see extended use without getting looked over like field work would entail. Maybe if it ever gets adopted by some LEO or government organization you could change my mind on that, but it just has not had a chance to get *all* the bugs beaten out of it yet. I am sure there are some in there that light duty work like home defense or competition have not manage to unearth.

Yeah, I hated any bullpup for the longest time, but now that they have some true ambi models available I have warmed up a bit. Over all I find the manual of arms to be a lot more difficult, but the smaller size makes everything else easier. It is a trade off, and I still very much like my big chonky rifles, but I find bullpups have their place now too and have started recommending them for appropriate situations.

I have always liked Kel-Tec too, but I do not see most of their stuff as anything buy range toys. The RDB does sit on a higher shelf, it seems to be made with duty work in mind, and every example I have seen reflects that. But even there it would not be my first choice if I had to take it somewhere it would not see regular maintenance. I think it is a fantastic choice for things like home defense as it will never see extended use without getting looked over like field work would entail. Maybe if it ever gets adopted by some LEO or government organization you could change my mind on that, but it just has not had a chance to get *all* the bugs beaten out of it yet. I am sure there are some in there that light duty work like home defense or competition have not manage to unearth.
It would be interesting to see some trial runs at a police department just to see how it would stack up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top