JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for an IWB holster for my Glock 26. I took a lot of the manufacturer recommendations from a previous thread and have loosely narrowed down my search. My big question is what are the advantages/disadvantages to kydex or thermo elastomer used for some holsters. I have no real experience with these. I do not want something that will mar the heck out of the gun's finish.

kydex stays open for one handed reholstering, essential. It also has better retention. If you don't want to mar the finish then don't carry it... and I digress, its a Glock

What Koda said, if you carry it your firearm is going to get dinged up, marred and scratched, even with suede liner there just isnt any way around it.

Thankfully its a glock, nice easy block of metal that can be painted/refinished should the wear really bother you. However a worn pistol is a very sexy thing. It shows its been used and carried but more importantly trusted.

Id say get a kydex holster of any kind and carry it without hesitation. Sure it's going to get bumps and bruses but those are all superficial it'll still run.

I vote for Kydex too. Yes my gun is worn in spots but that is like seeing a scar on a person - evidence he or she has lived a life. Guns are tools, and tools show wear. You'll get used to it! :)

Thanks guys. I will admit my being naïve when it comes to the marring or wear. I understand that there will be some wear, I just wasn't sure about the kydex causing damage such as wear grooves. Thank you for your help, I am now a little more educated.

I carry a G27 in a Stealthgear Onyx IWB holster.
The front is Kydex, the back is "VentCore".
VentCore is a porous synthetic that breathes, no stink yet.
When it gets dirty, I will remove the steel belt clips and throw it in the washer with a load of towles.

Used to wear a Kydex-leather IWB.
Worked well but started to get gamy after one summer of sweating.

The only wear on my G27 is on the slide release and chamber indicator

Leather can cause more wear than kydex. You can just wipe down kydex but getting dirt out of leather, particularly suede is almost impossible. This is usually a problem only for people that actually train or spend time in dirty environments.

I carry a G27 in a Stealthgear Onyx IWB holster.
The front is Kydex, the back is "VentCore".
VentCore is a porous synthetic that breathes, no stink yet.
When it gets dirty, I will remove the steel belt clips and throw it in the washer with a load of towles.

Used to wear a Kydex-leather IWB.
Worked well but started to get gamy after one summer of sweating.

The only wear on my G27 is on the slide release and chamber indicator

I like the idea of washing the backing, especially if you tend to sweat a lot. They are kind of pricey compared to other like products on the market.

The finish on the Glock is harder than the kydex, therefore the Glock will scratch the kydex, not vice versa. The open retention of the kydex is key for reholstering as mentioned above. I carry a 30S and barely notice it. It would be nice to have something slightly thinner but don't want to give up mag capacity for it.

I carry my G19 & 26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck in horse hide.

Admittedly, it's not much to look at but I can wear it all day every day... driving, walking, sitting, standing around... it don't seem to matter, I find it pretty comfortable!

I normally tuck my T-shirt behind it and either tuck or not my outer shirt depending on what I'm doing and how I'm dressed.

I wish I'd tried it before I purchased a small collection of other holsters that I don't like for one reason or another.

YMMV!

I carry a G27 in a Stealthgear Onyx IWB holster.The front is Kydex, the back is "VentCore".VentCore is a porous synthetic that breathes, no stink yet.When it gets dirty, I will remove the steel belt clips and throw it in the washer with a load of towles. Used to wear a Kydex-leather IWB. Worked well but started to get gamy after one summer of sweating.The only wear on my G27 is on the slide release and chamber indicator

I also like the idea of being able to wash the back. I will take a look at their website. Thanks for everyone's input.

I carry my Glock 19 in a Remora Holster. These things are amazing! And cheap. $20-25. I own a Remora for every handgun I have.

--------------------------------------------------
Proud member and supporter of

Oregon Firearms Federation
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
National Rifle Association

I swore by Milt Sparks leather holsters for years, but the last 6 months or so I've been using Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB holsters and I absolutely love them. Most comfy IWB I've ever worn, made in Coeur d'Alene, ID, and ridiculously inexpensive.

My $.98 worth (accounting for inflation).

I like IWB kydex. Tried 4 Corners Concealment for Colt Defender, ordered another for Ruger SR40c. Adjustable cant on Navigator for cross draw or appendix. 20 day wait currently. Runs sales thru mailing list from time to time.

<broken link removed>
Nav-1-3__02284.1423780748.1280.1280.jpg

Nav-1-3__02284.1423780748.1280.1280.jpg

I have nearly the same for my G30. It's been great and I have no complaints at all. $30 shipped through eBay. Seller is kydexconcealmentspro out of FL.

image.png

image.png

my old trusty Crossbreed started it all and i still swear by it.
it's comfy for all day wear and it doesn't hurt the pocket book that much. base price $69.95

i'm in a suit and tie everyday so i tried a bunch of different holsters before dishing out the cash for one of these. i kept the basic clips on there because it's easier to remove and put back on.
The 2 things i really love about this holster:
-deep concealment (can't see it even with a semi-fitted tucked in shirt and slacks)
-you can wear at your 4 or 5 o'clock like i do most of the time or you can switch it to appendix and it still remains comfy

i kept the basic clips on there since they're easier to slip on and off.
took about 2-3 days to break it in. you can loosen and adjust the height and angle of the clips.

just my $0.02

DSC_0017_zps70e7610a.jpg

DSC_0017_zps70e7610a.jpg

Welcome Todd, nice to see you here (I'm GU over on OFF)

I'm betting you're planning to carry the gun while you're out fishing - so the chances of it getting exposed to water are high. That, for me, eliminates leather from the options. Kydex or a kydex & synthetic backer are where it's at. Don't worry about marring or scratching the gun's finish - it's a glock, it'll be fine. Also the black finish is NOT the metal treatment Glocks are famous for, so don't worry.

Personally I don't trust clips - I prefer snap loops with one-way snaps for an easy on easy off option, they're a bit more secure. If you're in a kayak or canoe or even wading - it's nice to know that the gun is less likely to slip off the belt and go swimming. No one wants to really loose a gun in a boating accident ;)

This is the gun & holster I carry daily:

XjVfmLD.jpg

The body is all kydex, with a foam wedge for comfort on the leading edge. The struts to which the straps are attached allow me to tuck a shirt in around the gun - the only visible part of the holster at all are the straps which go around the belt, which to me are also a tad more low key than a polished metal clip. It also helps that I wear a nylon belt all the time and you really have to be looking to notice.

I make my own kydex gear, and I've not seen any commercially made holsters exactly like this - the G-Code INCOG comes closest but it ships with clips and not strut & loops - but if I'm not mistaken the Raven Concealment struts will bolt onto the G-Code holster. The G Code is also an injection molded polymer with a synthetic suede backing vs thermoformed kydex.

There are a number of makers though that make a "Taco" or fold over type holster that use a single strut & snap strap like this - Phlster (yes, that's how it's spelled) makes a quality holster of this style. Check phlster.com for more on his stuff.

Other makers to definitely check out are Bravo Concealment, Green Force Tactical, or MultiHolsters.

If you want something off the shelf right now - Cabela's and Sportmans Warehouse both have some kydex or polymer holsters in stock - and Northwest Armory has a big selection (at least in the Portland location) of kydex holsters, and I'm sure the fine folks there would let you try a few on for size to see which ones fit you the best.

XjVfmLD.jpg

I remember several years back, you and your nephew were looking at manuf. some holsters. I will check out the links and company names you listed. You are correct, I will be carrying it while fishing. Thanks for everyone's input!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top