Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

IWB-cocked & locked?

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by jdub75, Mar 31, 2010.

1. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

I recently acquired a nice IWB holster for concealed carry. Previously, I was using a OWB holster & kept it loaded w/ 1 in the pipe. This new holster puts the barrel right on my junk, esp when seated. Not only does the thought of blowing apart my bits & pieces cause me stress, but I know there are some major arteries in that vicinity as well.
    Those of you that carry IWB up front--do you carry w/ 1 in the pipe?
    Thanks!
    JDUB

2. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Yup. I carry at about 4 o'clock though, not up front. I think most people on here who carry IWB have it in condition 1.

3. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

If you are worried about shooting yourself (anywhere with any gun) I would suggest different carry options.

Your firearm should give you piece of mind...not make you think you're going to have to mind the pieces...lol.

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

The fact is that most guns that one can carry cocked and locked (more likely than not some sort of 1911) have so many redundant safeties, especially series 80's, that you could probably carry safely enough with the gun cocked and locked without the thumb safety engaged, and you'd still probably be fine (not that I would recommend this).

As for the fact that you are aiming a loaded .45 at your... self, well that's more of a psychological barrier than a practical one. A cocked and locked 1911 (as stated before, especially a series 80 with the FP block) will not discharge unless you pull the trigger.

5. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Carried a Glock IWB-Appendix for years.

Never worried one bit carrying there with a quality holster.

If it worries you, move the gun to someplace else before handicapping yourself with no round in the tube.

6. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I always carry a loaded gun. I do not see the point in carrying any other way. I do NOT like appendix carry though.

7. jdub75

I am carrying an M&P, so very 'glock-like' safties except mine even has the thumb safety (I know...I know). I was always carrying condition 1 until this holster. I'll try the 3:30 position. One reason I went to 1 oclock is that I was always worried it would come uncovered when carrying w/ my old holster OWB in the 3:30...but I admittedly haven't tried IWB there.
    I'm in total agreement tho...kinda not worth carrying unless in condition 1. That's why I reached out to ya'll for advice!
    Thanx!
    Jdub

8. jdub75

Possibly my 'liquid grain storage appendages' aka beer handles :)

9. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

If your shirts long enough, Those will help to stop printing :O)

10. Seafarinman

Seafarinman Washington State Member

I have carried most of my concealed carry pistols at 400 and carry cocked and locked. I currently carry an EAA Witness steel in .40 which is a full size pistol.

11. willseeker

willseeker N. Portland. Well-Known Member

One in the chamber...always...and I always point it in a safe direction...meaning not carrying at 1:00...wait, was that AM or PM?

:D
    Will

12. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

I carry the steel baby Eagle .40c IWB in a ACE Nylon holster at 3:30-4:00 and youd never know i carry it with a shirt draped over it

13. jdub75

I tried the 3:30 to 4ish yesterday--MUCH better. Thanks for all the tips.

14. Seafarinman

Seafarinman Washington State Member

I carried a Baby Eagle .45 years ago. Great gun! I currently carry my EAA Witness Steel (frame and slide of Baby Eagle/Jericho are built in the same factory in Italy by Tanfoglio) in a Blade-Tech kydex IWB holster.

15. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

+1. I've pretty much stopped carrying IWB as of late. Milt Sparks, Crossbreed Supertuck - they help but I still don't like it for comfort.

I took a cue from a couple of LEOs I know and just started carrying OWB at about 3:30-4:00 with a loose shirt over it. I just bought a bunch of Polo and T shirts which are one size too big so they aren't tight against the gun.

MUCH more comfortable (just for me) with a holster which rides a bit high, and has an FBI cant. It's this for G23, but in black. Link

$.02

16. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I've carried cocked n locked IWB for near 25 years now, full size BHP/1911

17. BobSigP229R

BobSigP229R Enumclaw, WA Member

I often carry IWB right above the boys. Its a .38 snubby, so when I sit down, its pointing right there. In the car I just put in between my legs, facing away from my boys. Otherwise I try to avoid sitting down with it. When I do sit for awhile, I usually just slip it out (the pistol) and face it down and place it between my legs or put it in my coat or pants pocket. For me its about comfort. But I always and will always carry one in the tube. If your location prevents you from that, I'd change locations.

18. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

In the famous 1986 FBI shootout one agent had his gun stowed under his leg like that.. his car impacted (if I remember right) by the suspect's car in an attempt to stop them, and in the impact his weapon flew onto the floor and was lost, I believe under the seat. He was disarmed for the entire gunfight that followed

19. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Exactly so. The silly thing is that he unholstered it and put it on the seat for 'easy access' right before the crash.