JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Also, I have reconsidered my stance on my carry gun(s). I will never ONLY carry my LCP. It is now a back up(and a fine one at that) to a 1911 or S&W 1950 Target in .44 Spl. Sometimes a .357.

My only remaining 9mm is a Ruger PC9 and I am strongly considering selling it. Carbines will be moved to .40 and .45 to compliment the semi-auto's. With the exception of the LCP, and then only because of its size, I am done with pistol projectiles under 150 grains. I also don't want them slower than 1,100fps. I'll go down to 1,000fps for a 240gr. HP in the .44Spl. or 1,000fps in a 200gr. hardcast SWC in .45acp.

We will always argue about what is better or worse. I am done with little bullets based on experience, nothing more. I hope everyone else is happy with their choice, whether it matches mine or not.

Well, I am quite comfortable with what I carry, and have little interest in what others think of my choices. Suffice to say, I am always armed, practice a LOT and am old enough to have survived a war, have a lawyer on retainer and have little patience for criminal behavior; they can accost me at their peril.

Is that the ninja vs. the gun? I would have to agree, if the ninja were close enough to strike before the firearm was upon him, that would be the exception. If the guy with the gun had any forewarning, I don't think it would go well for Mr. Pajama Party.

You apparently have not seen this ninja.
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-llZmPPNwU[/video]
If he can do that to a pineapple, there isn't anyone alive who can touch him with a gun.

Dude. Ninjas can dodge bullets with their minds.

I know how to settle this. Somebody call Spike TV and get this on "Deadliest Warrior". Ninja vs Green Beret. Those guys are legitimate scientists, right? ...

Key word... backup

Yep -- ON DUTY, when they expect trouble (and the odds of a gunfight are very real) the snubby is a backup and they open-carry a full-size combat pistol as their primary duty weapon. When OFF DUTY (and out of uniform), and they are effectively just highly trained civilians and aren't expecting to be in a gunfight they SOMETIMES carry just the snubby revolver. I think that says a lot.

Last Edited:
The odds of a gunfight are never high, even on duty. They do need to be planned for, but saying that a gunfight is likely is not accurate. In 2011, the entire NYPD had 36 (intentional) officer firearm discharge events. That's one every ten days, divided by an enormous number of officers. In other words: rare.

The odds of a gunfight are never high, even on duty. They do need to be planned for, but saying that a gunfight is likely is not accurate. In 2011, the entire NYPD had 36 (intentional) officer firearm discharge events. That's one every ten days, divided by an enormous number of officers. In other words: rare.

By likely, I'm referring to likelihood of a LEO being involved in a gunfight vs. a random citizen like myself. Yes the odds of a cop getting into a gunfight are long, but far far higher than for instance my odds of a similar situation, even though I live in downtown Portland and routinely walk around in 'questionable' neighborhoods. All of us citizens who carry are doing so despite rather diminishing odds that we'll ever need to use our firearms.

By likely, I'm referring to likelihood of a LEO being involved in a gunfight vs. a random citizen like myself. Yes the odds of a cop getting into a gunfight are long, but far far higher than for instance my odds of a similar situation, even though I live in downtown Portland and routinely walk around in 'questionable' neighborhoods. All of us citizens who carry are doing so despite rather diminishing odds that we'll ever need to use our firearms.

Agreed, sir

Dude. Ninjas can dodge bullets with their minds.

I know how to settle this. Somebody call Spike TV and get this on "Deadliest Warrior". Ninja vs Green Beret. Those guys are legitimate scientists, right? ...

The show was fun until Joan De Arc beat William the Conquerer..

The difference between a cop and Joe public is that Joe public can leave. Fire off your 5 rounds and run like hell. The cop has to stay until the cuffs are on.

I carry 5 in the gun and 10 in speed loader. And in 29 years of packing a pistol I haven't had a need to pull it out. Had my hand on it a few times. But so far those 5 are working.
Bravo!!!! I carry a j frame [CCW] but if I had to go into harms way a semi auto would be my choice.

This is an old and classic debate...........with dozens of ways to look at the issue. ultimately in a super bad scenario, even a handgun is not so great. One has to assess risk and decide for him and herself. Not everyone wants to carry a full sized 32 ounce or heavier, large framed handgun around all the time. Considering how many j frames, small 380's and smaller guns get sold, apparently thousands or millions of people are content with a small gun, easily carried in the pocket. Thousands and millions are content to carry pocket knives or less. Plenty of folks won't leave the house without a full sized 1911. So you have to pick for yourself, and we all agree a gun is better than no gun. I feel my j frame could save me in close quarters combat. Maybe.
Remember, if you are in a situation so grave that you can legally utilize your handgun, that means you are in a very dangerous situation! You may get hurt or killed even if the bad guy has only a knife or club. You may have a 19 round handgun and still get shot yourself. There are no guarantees.
I believe Jeff Cooper was talking about preferring the 1911 as his gun of choice. Someone told him they thought it better to have 15 or 16 or 17 or more rounds in their pistol. And Cooper asked something like, "Just exactly many dangerous armed assailants do you think you can handle by yourself?"

So pick what you like, and legally carry what you pick. And master it. I do own a very nice Glock 26, but honestly carry the j frame more often.

I thought the most interesting thing in the article was that the officer has replaced his 45 now with a 9 and only carries the 9. Does that say that bigger is not really better?

This starts moving into another classic debate...but I would say with the amount he increased his practicing, he was more worried about shot placement to the head versus what caliber he was shooting.

This starts moving into another classic debate...but I would say with the amount he increased his practicing, he was more worried about shot placement to the head versus what caliber he was shooting.

Again, head shots in combat are largely fantasy, beyond close range

Again, head shots in combat are largely fantasy, beyond close range

Agreed, Blitz! And yet I have always practiced assiduously on a head shaped gong out to 20yrds! Always had a horror of some puke taking my wife hostage, and he isn't leaving with her. IMHO this is the best reason for a lazer on a .380.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top