JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the REALITY of the REAL WORLD a "gun fight" is over by the time I have fired my first few rounds. Any ammo fired after that is just excessive.
Still here.
Most Leos only know what they have been taught by other Leos who started out just as ignorant as they are.
So sad.
Without a Government job most would likely be on welfare.
Even sadder.
The argument "well, why don't the police use (whatever)?" Is just, for want of a better word, stupid.

Give me any thing but a puny little pocket pistol in 25 or 32 and I'm good.

I have seen real world gun fights go oh for extended periods of time ..LA bank robbery to site an example, or more recently Dallas. You never know whats going to happen or how long you will have to stay in the fight. Personally I like to hedge my bets, I carry as much as I can carry at all times. Right now sitting at my desk I have my sig 226 tacops and 4 20 round mags within arms reach. We are not in "20 years ago" mode. A perp isnt just going to have a snubby 38 chances are he will have a Glock with hi-cap mag and three friends with him carrying the same. Its a nice thought that you shoot a couple of rounds and presto fight is over with, but the truth is you never know what to expect and you never know how many you can end up being up against or the environment that you will be engaging in. Will you be in cover, will he have a vest, will he be in cover, will you have to shoot through a car window, will you nee to shoot through a car, will you have to engage multiple targets at once, will multiple targets be engaging you at once...there are way to many variables out there to not carry
1. what you are good with
2. what is reliable and accurate
3. what can put as many of them on their butts as necessary

The world is changing, change with it or get ate with the rest of the sheep.

Reading back a few pages, I see a quantum shift towards what and how we carry ( or should carry) This was discussed at length in another more recent thread, but bears repeating here! As to the technique used, I was trained to aim center mass and shoot the tango until he went down, with the impacts stringing upwards to include the head! This is the most effective and guarantees multiple hits instead of point shooting for a specific spot! I have had the very frightening experience of being in such a gun fight and thank God reflexes and muscle memory kicked in! This is also a very graphic illustration of why you need to carry multiple mags and practice all the time with rapid mag changes! As I pointed out before, I carry 4 17 round mags, plus the one in the gun, and I carry a back up that holds 13 plus a second 13 round mag! This sounds like a lot, but reality AND combat experience has taught me that this is the correct level of armament I need for daily carry! In today's threat level, a six shooter just doesn't work out as well as it might have 20 years ago! Tangos are more aggressive, and cranked up on drugs, or there are many tango's and they are bent on causing as much harm as possible! This is the sad reality of today, and tomorrow doesn't look to be getting better! I hate it just as much as any one, but that is the way it is! Practice as much as you can, as often as you can, and be ever ready to take action to protect you and yours!

Reading back a few pages, I see a quantum shift towards what and how we carry ( or should carry) This was discussed at length in another more recent thread, but bears repeating here! As to the technique used, I was trained to aim center mass and shoot the tango until he went down, with the impacts stringing upwards to include the head! This is the most effective and guarantees multiple hits instead of point shooting for a specific spot! I have had the very frightening experience of being in such a gun fight and thank God reflexes and muscle memory kicked in! This is also a very graphic illustration of why you need to carry multiple mags and practice all the time with rapid mag changes! As I pointed out before, I carry 4 17 round mags, plus the one in the gun, and I carry a back up that holds 13 plus a second 13 round mag! This sounds like a lot, but reality AND combat experience has taught me that this is the correct level of armament I need for daily carry! In today's threat level, a six shooter just doesn't work out as well as it might have 20 years ago! Tangos are more aggressive, and cranked up on drugs, or there are many tango's and they are bent on causing as much harm as possible! This is the sad reality of today, and tomorrow doesn't look to be getting better! I hate it just as much as any one, but that is the way it is! Practice as much as you can, as often as you can, and be ever ready to take action to protect you and yours!
Not only that but you can buy Kevlar vests on eBay for 200 bucks... body armor for 200 bucks!!!...trauma plates are cheap as well. If I were so inclined to go out and do stupid crap like they do I would invest in one.. Why not??? a street mugging can quickly escalate into a gun fight in todays society

I'm a few steps ahead of ya, I got my self front and back cat4 armor With the plate carriers I payed just under $700. The nice thing is the whole set up doesn't really add a lot of weight and I am used to wearing it any way! I wear it when traveling to Injun country ( town/city) so I have protection when needed most!

I'm sure this has been said already in the 6 pages prior but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I get that 5 shot revolvers are convenient for carry and have carried it for a few years when I worked downtown and had to walk to my car pass the "camps". Luckily, I have never been in a situation that required it but would rather have 15 in my Glock than 5 in my Revolver.

I have walked into a situation where some gremlin stopped by the side of the road to unload a full glock mag into a campground when I had my snubbie in my pocket and I will tell you that you feel outgunned at that point

I always feel 'outgunned'. Ever go into a fire fight w/a M-16 wishing you had a 12 GA or a MP-40?.....You go to war with the gun you brought!
Your are right...Sometimes we as gun owners/shooters feel cocky with our guns and skill level. Few of us have actually been in terrible situations where we have to deploy a weapon for self preservation and even fewer have had to use them. I was once told the moment you get too confident you don't get to go home. I read some of the comments here and on other sites when people say "well I would......" truth is you never know what you would do unless you were there. I hope that it doesn't ever come a day when some of these guys have to put into practice what they say they would do...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top