JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're comparing a typical citizen carrying a concealed handgun for protection with..... a cop?

Do you think the bad guy would have reacted differently if it had been you, instead of a cop??? Do you think 14 body hits including 3 headshots would have resulted in a different outcome if they came out of your gun, insteads of the cop's???

This report isn't much different than the FBI shootout in Florida, or the LA shootout.

When adrenaline is flowing accuracy goes down. Survivability goes up due to the same adrenaline.

I always want as much ammo as possibly can have on me, should a situation occurs where I have to defend myself. The whole dialog about how you only need X ammo to defend yourself is 100% couch potato BS.

It goes without saying, practice how you want to act in the situation. You fall back on your weakest point of training.

This LEO ran into one of those situations, and now wants to be prepared. It looks like he does more training too now. Which is good.

Anyway... Nothing any of us didn't already know here, right?

Do you think the bad guy would have reacted differently if it had been you, instead of a cop??? Do you think 14 body hits including 3 headshots would have resulted in a different outcome if they came out of your gun, insteads of the cop's???

Thank god I don't have to make traffic stops in the middle of the night in gang territory. This is ridiculous, be happy people carry guns. Why should you dictate what weapon I carry?

The difference between a cop and Joe public is that Joe public can leave. Fire off your 5 rounds and run like hell. The cop has to stay until the cuffs are on.

I carry 5 in the gun and 10 in speed loader. And in 29 years of packing a pistol I haven't had a need to pull it out. Had my hand on it a few times. But so far those 5 are working.

That was a good read. And as it was mentioned earlier, police can call for backup, and almost always have additional weapons (shotgun/rifle) at their disposal. We can't/don't. I'm not saying we need to carry that much ammo, but sometimes running away isn't an option.

A revolver should be a backup gun. Just because you have never had to use your revolver doesn't make it an adequate tool for all jobs. If you miss with just one shot, the likelihood of you even hitting the crook has just gone down by 20%.

Do you have a lightning rod and ground strap attached to your baseball cap? I would guess your chances of being attacked by multiple drug crazed zombies that would press an attack after learning that you are armed and willing to shoot to kill is less then being hit by lightning.

Now I guess if you tend to associate with or hang out in the neighborhood of drug crazed suicidal zombies then the chances would go up.

But then you might golf too.

Do you honestly think there is a difference who you are with lead slicing through the air? Papercidal is spot on "a typical citizen carrying a concealed handgun for protection" is worse off than a cop. Bad guys are bad guys and some are hardcore enough to refuse to go down regardless who is filling them with lead.

If I can convince just one S&W 442 (insert your snubbie of choice) packer to switch over to a Glock 19 (insert your hi capacity auto of choice) for self defense than I’m good with that.

BTW I have done my share of revolver packing and am probably still more proficient at the manual of arms than the majority of those buying revolvers today.

Even setting the capacity issue aside, I wouldn't consider carrying a revolver because I have seen more critical malfunctions with revolvers than with autos. FTF? Clear it. Crud behind the ejector star locked up your revolver? Game over.

A cop carrying 145 rounds of ammo on the job...maybe a raised eyebrow or two.

An electrician packing 145 rounds of ammo in his Carhartts...I'd never be allowed on any jobsites or certainly bum-rushed out the gate once discovered.

That's the difference between a cop and a guy who carries a gun for self defense.

Keith

Even setting the capacity issue aside, I wouldn't consider carrying a revolver because I have seen more critical malfunctions with revolvers than with autos. FTF? Clear it. Crud behind the ejector star locked up your revolver? Game over.

WOW that's an interesting observation. Every single time I go to the Gun club and shoot pistols I see Semi autos with jams or miss fires. I can't think of a time I saw a revolver with a jam or a miss fire. I know mine sure haven't but then I only been shooting handguns 40+ years so I might be behind the curve.

WOW that's an interesting observation. Every single time I go to the Gun club and shoot pistols I see Semi autos with jams or miss fires. I can't think of a time I saw a revolver with a jam or a miss fire. I know mine sure haven't but then I only been shooting handguns 40+ years so I might be behind the curve.

I probably should have made it clear that by critical malfunction I mean ones that cannot be cleared.

I shoot lots of high round count matches and classes and see a ton of auto malfunctions. The thing is--extremely few are bad enough to put the gun out of action. In my experience revolvers are reliable--unless something really bad goes wrong: crimp jump, crud behind ejector, broken spring, etc.

Been there 6 X and wished I had a FN autoloader 12 GA, my SPAS 12 or an AK47. If comfort means more than firepower (yeah I know some at work have to be very discreet, been there) then you've made your choice, just don't try to convince me it's smart

I probably should have made it clear that by critical malfunction I mean ones that cannot be cleared.

I shoot lots of high round count matches and classes and see a ton of auto malfunctions. The thing is--extremely few are bad enough to put the gun out of action. In my experience revolvers are reliable--unless something really bad goes wrong: crimp jump, crud behind ejector, broken spring, etc.

Primer slipping back under pressure, broken stop pin, etc.. it does happen with revolvers, even seen it happen with my gal's new M649 .38, S & W fixed it and it's been fine, since

I'm wanting a 2 3/4" Birdshead Montado pretty badly. When I get it I'll be packing it. I wouldn't feel any better with a Glock, Sig, or 1911. My lifestyle is low risk. I feel more at risk in the woods, but then I have a rifle or shotgun as well. I am no expert but I just can't see how a .357 hole in someone's chest/head/both is not gonna work out in my favor. No sir, I just don't see it.

My gal can do speedloads half as fast as Jerry Miculek but in a point blank shooting under stress that is not enough. 14 shots of uninterrupted 40 cal Speer HPs are superior

That guy is AMAZING!!! 12 rounds in <3 seconds. I think he's probably ok with a revolver, but I wonder what he carries?

Realistically, I know I probably won't be accurate enough to need only 6 shots if it comes to it. And I have always tried to "be prepared".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top