JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,
Its been awhile since i was on last sorry for that. I was presented with a brand new Mossberg 500 persuader this last week for the work i did on my girlfriends parents house. This thing is freekn sweet. However i have never owned a shotgun b4. I have a few questions that i know i could find out my self with a quick google search, but i prefer actual user answers not a text book answer.

1. what is your recommended cleaning ritual and do you clean it every time you take it out or no? If not how many rounds do you allow through b4 you clean it?:huh:

2 What is your preferred home defense ammo and why?

3. Not sure if the following comment is true or not but the mossberg will live the first few years of its life in an apartment. I have been told by one person that bird shot will not travel through as many walls as other loads, therefore it is "safer to your neighbors and just as effective at subduing an aggressor". I am curious what your opinion is on this comment a friend of mine made.

4. I have been looking into a home defense shot gun for awhile and i have seen two accessories that truly interest me. The first is a heat shield, and the second is what i believe to be a flash suppressor or recoil compensator. Are these items actually useful or are they mainly ascetic? Either way im probably going to end up with both because they look awesome

I know i asked a lot of questions and you by no means have to answer any or all of them but i would like to have your feed back on everything above. If you have any useful information like the fact that most shotguns ship with a wooden dowel in the magazine tube:huh: (that one took about an hour to figure out) i am all ears:D

Thank you in advance for any and all info

here is a pick of the one i have

my new Mossberg shotgun!.jpg

It's a Mossberg so keep the exterior lightly oiled (should be able to see your finger print) when storing it. These things are notorious for rusting.

Get a 12 gauge bore snake and wipe the inside barrel couple times after shooting it.

#4 BUCKshot and on up for defensive ammo. DO NOT use bird shot for defensive ammo.

My $.02 worth

SF-

Spider fox, thanx for the tid bits. i shall refrain from the terminology "shotty" and resort to shotgun :) Do you know of any particularly common bad practices that cause rust so that i can avoid them?

Yea... do not own these while living in Western Oregon.

Seriously, do not store these in a case, you shouldn't with any firearms but especially these do not ever unless you are transporting it.

Also when storing Mossberg 500's do not let them lean on concrete or steel or other firearms, rust will start showing in a few days.

SF- (the 'S' is for silver... color of my hair)

Wax it with Renaissance wax. The best stuff I have ever found for a good durable coating. I use it on my gear that is even in saltwater with good results. If you can't get that, Johnson Paste wax works well too someone said.

I have used a couple of really good rust deterrents. The Sentry Tuff Cloth. It is NOT a silicon cloth, it is much better and you can get them from Brownells. I have also started using Eezox CLP. I had used Breakfree for years, but won't go back after using this stuff. You can get it on line or I know Al's Gun Shop in Forest Grove stocks it.

1) A bore snake and some CLP (clean, lubricate, and protect) should be used everytime after you shoot it. It only takes about 10 minutes.

2) My prefered home defense ammo in 00 buckshot but it really depends on your living situation. I live and in a single family house and have a good amount of space between my house and my neighbors. But if I was living in an apartment or a row house I would use a lighter load.

3) It is true that bird shot will not go through as many walls as other heavier loads but that is because it is designed to take down birds and might not do the job aganist a motivated (mentally ill or under the influence of drugs) intruder. I keep 00 buckshot in my shotgun because I want to be sure that when I pull the trigger my target is going down.

4) The heat shield is a good thing to have for target practice because the barrel will heat up quite a bit but as far as home defense it really serves no purpose. The flash supressor is mainly for looks in my opinion but they do look cool.

Have you ever used a red dot type optic? I have one on my shotgun and I love it.
As far as what load to use in an apartment I would get a couple pieces of drywall and shoot them with a few different types of loads. This will give you a good idea of the penetration power.

Thats one **** of a reply man! thanx im lookn for a heat shield right now Ive decided that its gunna b nice to have. I love your idea of shooting drywall!!!!! im gunna try to get a video camera out there too it would make a cool vid

It's a Mossberg so keep the exterior lightly oiled (should be able to see your finger print) when storing it. These things are notorious for rusting.

Get a 12 gauge bore snake and wipe the inside barrel couple times after shooting it.

#4 BUCKshot and on up for defensive ammo. DO NOT use bird shot for defensive ammo.

My $.02 worth

SF-

+1 on the #4 Buckshot

I would have to agree with #4 buckshot in an apartment. But that would also depend on where my bedroom is. where i think the most likely encounter would be, and where my barrel would be facing and how likely it is to go past. If you are going to be talking less then 30 feet. in a lot of situations 00 buck will work even in an apartment. There isn't a lot of spread in 30 feet. so 9 357 size pellets in someone is a very good man stopper. Bird shot will kill some one up close, but i wouldn't count my life on it. Really the wadding from birdshot will do a lot of damage at close range.

When asking on advice about getting a heat shield for my 870, someone told me that the barrel will get hot enough to burn your skin after about 20 rounds rapid fired. So it might be nice to have for when you go blastin at browns camp, but for HD it should be a non-issue.

With that said, I agree they look cool and I plan to get one for my shotgun, even though it may not be the most practical thing in the world :)

+1 on the good advice here. +1 no bird shot. In tests it just doesn't penetrate; not even the bad guy.

Personally, I stay away from magnum shells for self defense because they kick so hard and are harder for me to get back on target. The 2 3/4" pellets travel at the same speed and hit just as hard. There are just fewer of them in the shell, like maybe 9 instead of 12 in a magnum. As pointed out, 9 .357 sized pellets hitting a BG all at once has to give him a very bad day.

Congratulations on the new shotgun.

Tons Of Oregon Brass i only have two accessible points of entry in my home the front door and a back deck, i live on the second story so I'm not really worried about the back deck but the front door is 5 yards from my bedroom door which is where my shot gun has found its resting spot. I'm going to get a box of #4 buck that seems to be the overwhelmingly common response from most of the individuals i have spoken to. Thanx for the input :)

4) The heat shield is a good thing to have for target practice because the barrel will heat up quite a bit but as far as home defense it really serves no purpose. The flash supressor is mainly for looks in my opinion but they do look cool.

Get a pair of gloves. They should protect the lotion-soft manicured hands... just jabbing you. I never heard of any one making an issue of heat shields on shotguns. Mossberg 590's have a model with a heat shield on the barrel, but really what are you protecting? Your face? Your hands? I don't get it? To me them seem to be one more item that is going to break or get in the way at the most inappropriate time (when your or a loved ones life is at stake). Some times less is more and in this case it is more better.

Take the money saved and buy ammo and when you have too much, buy ammo cans to put it in. Have two ammo cans, one for practice ammo the other for a rainy day/SHTF/Zombie what ever you want to call it.

Once again, my $.02 worth.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews