JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would love all of your experienced opinions about this question. I got into firearms to defend myself and family by carrying and being proficient with a handgun. And so when I go shooting and practice my handgun at the range, self-defense is my larger goal.

I've just built my first AR. (Aero lower and PSA rifle kit in a 223/556) It was a fun and gratifying process. And the rifle looks cool as hell in my opinion. I love the customization of it and learning about this platform. I test-fired this thing a few days ago and I was surprised by its power and loudness. I'm still not fully comfortable or used to firing something with this much power since I'm used to my handguns.

What I've realized is practically, I cannot use this firearm for self-defense or home-defense due to it's size and the fact that I live in a suburb where over-penetration would result in disaster. And I am not a hunter. And so the only use for this firearm is recreational shooting at my range at 50-100 yards. There's nothing wrong with having guns for pure recreation, of course. Bless all such shooters. But frankly I find myself feeling a bit empty at the fact that I have no greater purpose for this AR other than pure recreation unlike my handguns. Part of that has to do with the cost: the expensive 223/556 ammo (compared to 9mm or 22LR) and other components such as scopes and bipod that I would need.

I have no desire to enter competitions or anything like that. Also I don't really have any friends with whom I go shooting with and share this hobby. That may have something to do with it as well, since this has been something I've been doing by myself as part of a husband and dad duty to protect our family. Maybe I've finally reached the limits of my firearm hobby.

Anyways, I just wanted to express this and see of you experienced shooters have any thoughts or have any suggestions; or if I'm overlooking something. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Last Edited:
Go to YouTube and do a search for " gun talk wall penetration test. " You will be surprised at how the AR15 compares to handgun ammo.

As for the loudness you might want to consider a drop in 22lr kit to use for practice.

Also the more you shoot it the less it's a shock to the system. (Especially compared to 30-06 or 308 or higher)

Contrary to much uninformed popular belief, your pistol will penetrate walls farther with more energy carried than your .223 AR will. Especially if you load it with any of these polymer/soft tipped rounds that are designed to quickly disperse energy into the target. It's a mass and physics issue, a 55grain bullet of that design will dump energy into the first thing it hits more so than the pistol bullet will. Go watch YouTube tests if you don't believe me.

The other thing it seems you aren't considering is how target shooting at the range can only develop you as a shooter to a point, you don't have to become a competition addict to still benefit from doing 'practical tactical' competitions with your pistol, rifle, or both. Those are when you can practice your movement, room clearing etc. the point being is that you want to practice in more than just the static range setting, because if you encountered a situation in your home you would potentially be dealing with a 360 degree situation.

In summary - the handgun is inferior to the AR as a home protector in every way except portability and maneuverability, but that can also be trained to be mitigated.

If the recoil or concussive blast of an AR is too strong for you, it makes me really concerned because they are about the tamest rifle you can possibly shoot that are still considered adequate for engagements.
That also would be mitigated with training.

Finally, if you are considering using the AR for home defense, you shouldn't put a scope of any magnification or a bipod on it anyway, it's not going to need them. The only accessory you could benefit from is a weapon mounted light, on your pistol and rifle, and possibly a red dot on the rifle if you prefer that over iron sights.

I'd say hit up to YouTube and hear from a lot of very experienced shooters who've either seen combat, or practice all the time and listen to why they pick what they pick to defend their home.

Sounds like you you have a good basic rifle...
Learn to shoot it well....practice with it till your shooting style becomes "natural" as in muscle memory.
Practice with your rifle at different distances , all weather and in different shooting positions ( Off hand , prone , etc... )

In my opinion if one owns a firearm , they should know it , inside and out , so to speak ...and not have it be , just something for occasional use.

Again in my opinion...Shooting just for the fun of is a oft neglected shooting style...way to much focus on "purpose shooting" and "drills" , rather than shooting just because its a fun pastime, seems to go on nowadays.
Andy

Being brand new to handgun shooting and thinking about next steps, I really enjoyed the OP. I also like reading the opinions of experienced shooters on this subject. Thanks for the post!

I'd say go shoot the hell out of it.

When the smile stretches from ear to ear, the process of breaking it in is almost complete.

Shoot some rifles in 50 bmg, 300 WinMag, 30-06....the .223 round will seem rather wimpy...but still respect it.

For home defense you may want to research the 300 blackout round and the best part is, you may use the same lower and magazines. Keep the barrel length at 16 inches. Just do not mix up your ammunition.

What is the muzzle device? If you used a brake, that can be loud.

There is a range up north in Castle Rock, I-5 and exit 52, the Castle Rock Public Shooting Range that goes out to 300 yards.

Training. Out in Goldendale, WA is Cerebus Group...in your neck of the woods is DFI tactical....

Wow, this is all great stuff that I didn't know. I'll definitely start doing some (fun) research on an AR for home defense. Who knows, maybe I'll end up building my second AR as a pistol with a silencer or something.

And depending on this rifle's viability for home defense, I will start shooting this more to get used to it's surprising explosive power. Remember everyone, I'm a beginner at this, as I started getting into firearms just a few years ago as an adult from having grown up with zero exposure to firearms. I'm not used to explosions. Think back to when you've first experienced the raw, awesome power & how surprised you were at the unexpected volcanic nature of the gun's firepower. It takes a lot getting used you since real life firearm shooting is nothing like the movies or TV.

Thanks everyone, please keep these comments coming. I appreciate & enjoy & take to heart every one of these comments. And it certainly helps not feeling so isolated in my passion for this pastime.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a particular firearm just for range fun, with only one exception, pretty much all my guns fall into that category. That isn't to say they can't pull double duty, my CZ .45 is also a bedside gun, and my Mini-14 is loaded and standing in my closet. The latter is equipped with a red dot, and I can consistently smack an 8" steel target with it at 200 yards, and on a good day, I can scare hell out of a 4" gong.

As has already been said, it all comes down to practice, the only thing better than trigger time is more trigger time. And the more variety, within reason, the better. I say within reason, because I discovered I had an issue with switching platforms with differing manuals of arms, striker with no safety, SA 1911 with safety, and DA/SA's with safety and/or decocker, switching around was messing with my head. I've since standardized on hammer guns with decockers, it's just what I prefer.

As to rifles, I did the AR thing, built a couple, enjoyed the process and the shooting, but decided it really wasn't my cup of tea. That said, it's an impressively capable platform, even with a base model PSA, just be aware that it'll probably only be about a 2 MOA rifle, regardless of ammo. As you move up in the PSA line, they get better, but I don't think they offer anything that would really qualify as a precision rifle.

Andy nailed it, too much emphasis on "drills" and not enough on fun. Although I do run tactical style drills with my guns, I also shoot just for fun, thats the main reason I have the steel targets. An 8" plate at 25 yards is fun with my .45 and 9 mm, at 50 yards it's a challenge, and at 100, there's a certain amount of luck involved, but it's still a hoot. Proficiency is important, but don't let it become a chore. Oh, and find a shooting partner somehow, preferably someone at a similar skill level if you're fairly experienced, more skilled if you're a novice. You can learn from and challenge each other, crow together on good days and commiserate on bad. It just makes the whole experience that much richer. Later.

:rolleyes:
That's a question along the lines of the teenager running back to his buddies, "I've got her naked, lying on my bed! What do I do now !??!"

Own it, master it, shoot the crap out if it.
Build more, from a pile of parts where you assemble everything.

yeah i built 1 AR once....

then i built 4 more for myself.

then i helped my brother build one.

helped my neighbor build 3,
helped his brother inlaw build 3 or 4

helped multiple co workers build a half dozen

and then helped multiple friends build about 15 total.

its an addiction dude.

The noise an AR makes is worse than the recoil impulse. If you feel its hitting too hard, it may be an issue of correct grip and stock placement. A 16 inch AR, to me, hits harder than an 18 or 20, but none of them have unpleasant recoil. Your muzzle device choice can also effect the "explosive shock" - there are specifically designed muzzle devices that direct the concussive blast and most of the noise forward of you. Conversely if you have a muzzle break vs a flash hider or one of the afore mentioned devices, you're not going to want to shoot it indoors. Muzzle breaks mitigate recoil, but no one around you is going to enjoy your gun.

For home defense use, open sights and a rifle mounted white light are great, you can add on a decent or better electronic dot sight. Depending on budget - Redfield, Holosun, and Vortex make useful entry level options. If cash allows, Aimpoint is the way to go. But before you get gung ho on optics, learn how to shoot with the iron sights because electronics, even expensive ones, fail. Knowing how to shoot with irons is important. Biggest thing to remember at home-defense ranges, is that your sights sit a good bit over the bore of the rifle, so your point of impact is going to be a couple inches below your point of aim. Not an issue if you hold high on the chest or neck. Could be an issue if you're trying to take a head shot.

Watch the YouTube videos called "First Person Defender" - they put real people into various situations, a lot of home defense stuff, using their actual firearms, and then the instructors give them some tips on how to improve upon what they have. They cover rifle use indoors along with pistols.

Get a good round to stoke your gun with - I kept 45 grain Hornady A-MAX in mine, backed up some mags of SS109 if someone came in and turned out to be wearing armor. Home invasions are rare, but sometimes the home invaders do have armor.

I would love all of your experienced opinions about this question. I got into firearms to defend myself and family by carrying and being proficient with a handgun. And so when I go shooting and practice my handgun at the range, self-defense is my larger goal.

I've just built my first AR. (Aero lower and PSA rifle kit in a 223/556) It was a fun and gratifying process. And the rifle looks cool as hell in my opinion. I love the customization of it and learning about this platform. I test-fired this thing a few days ago and I was surprised by its power and loudness. I'm still not fully comfortable or used to firing something with this much power since I'm used to my handguns.

What I've realized is practically, I cannot use this firearm for self-defense or home-defense due to it's size and the fact that I love in a suburb where over-penetration would result in disaster. And I am not a hunter. And so the only use for this firearm is recreational precision shooting at my range at 50-100 yards. There's nothing wrong with having guns for pure recreation, of course. Bless all such shooters. But frankly I find myself feeling a bit empty at the fact that I have no greater purpose of this AR other than pure recreation unlike my handguns. Part of that has to do with the cost: the expensive 223/556 ammo and other components such as scopes and bipod that I would need.

I have no desire to enter competitions or anything like that. Also I don't really have any friends with whom I go shooting with and share this hobby. That may have something to do with it as well, since this has been something I've been doing by myself as part of a husband and dad duty to protect our family. Maybe I've finally reached the limits of my firearm hobby.

Anyways, I just wanted to express this and see of you experienced shooters have any thoughts or have any suggestions; or if I'm overlooking something. Thanks in advance for your answers.

I can feel where you're at. When I first started really getting into firearms was just 10 years ago. I wanted nothing to do with long guns, to far to change targets. :D When it looked like there could be a ban of some kind I figured I'd better get me an AR15. Bought one off the rack, built by Curt's Discount Guns in Milwaukee. I wasn't terribly enamored by it, but definitely was glad I had it. So much more interesting than a handgun. And I believe every gun appreciating american should have an AR. A big part of why I like guns is the technical and mechanical aspect. And the history is amazing. Owning firearms has also connected me to a group of some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to know.

I would suggest you don't worry about adding a bunch of gobble-dee-goop to that AR. Shoot it like it is until you get a natural urge to add stuff. I don't consider my AR a defensive weapon, well, unless gangs of potland start raging and running wild through the streets. I just keep hand guns at the ready for home protection.

As far as shooting fun, get a steel gong! Get TWO! Build your own bases. Get an inexpensive spotting scope so you can see where your're hitting. Put a decent, inexpnsive scope on the AR. Hearing that PING, and seeing where you hit the freshly painted steel is gratifying to us. When Wifey won an NWFA lower in the raffle here I got to build an AR for her. Slow shooting from a rest is her thing.

If your work/family life permit consider getting involved with the members of NWFA and Trash No Land.org and go to some clean-ups. Most times there's a get together for target shooting, sometimes FREE FOOD, and a good dose of show and tell/BS sessions after the clean-up.

I suggest don't worry too much at this point about lack of excitement about your build. And put the idea of using it for home defense to the side for the time being. Maybe it will come to you down the line? I tell ya', I'm not in love with my AR15 either. It's just another gun it the safe. I've found myself stashing away a few bucks when I can "Gun Money",waiting for something to tickle my fancy. doing that has led me in a different direction. A couple of years ago I changed paths and looked to old wood and steel. NOW, that 117 year old Swedish Mauser thrills me. followed by two other very old wood/steel rifles. currently I'm stashing what I can, waiting for something to come along that moves me.

yeah i built 1 AR once....

then i built 4 more for myself.

then i helped my brother build one.

helped my neighbor build 3,
helped his brother inlaw build 3 or 4

helped multiple co workers build a half dozen

and then helped multiple friends build about 15 total.

its an addiction dude.

@9mm guy Ya' think this one here ^^ needs to get a little more enthusiastic about the AR platform? :D

I gotta toss this in...well 'cause its me....:D

Are you into history at all...is their a time period that calls to you...?
There are plenty of original firearms from the WWII era on back , that one can own own and shoot.
To read about history is good...but to read about it and have something from then , in your hands , that still works is a cool way of connecting to the past.
Andy

It's hard for me to relate to the OP because I was always into firearms even tho I grew up in the suburds with a dad that wouldn't let us shoot or have guns.

Once I turned 18, I bought a .22lr rifle... it was pretty tame recoil wise but made a nice bang. Then I bought shotguns, more kick, more bang. Then my first centerfire rifle was an original .303 British... it's a pretty powerful round but not compared to a lot of today's magnum rifle cartridges. Anyway, it's all what a person gets used to. Think of it as a journey!

In your journey, you will eventually see that .223 or 5.56mm is only powerful compared to a 22lr or a handgun. I'm glad you are thrilled/impressed with it now tho. It really is more powerful for self defense than a handgun.

ONE of my home defense firearms, I have multiple, is an AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel and a cheek stabilizer. I don't need a tax stamp because it's not an SBR. But because of the short length, and mounted light/laser combo, it is very useful for house clearing etc. I use pointed soft point rounds in it... they don't over penetrate like pistol rounds do.

Recently a woman defended her husband in a home invasion with an AR... never say never!!!

Have fun with your AR... best advice was to go out and shoot it... a LOT!!!

Shooting just for the fun of is a oft neglected shooting style...way to much focus on "purpose shooting" and "drills"
I agree completely.
I grew up 'fun' shooting and still do it.
I see far to much emphasis on the 'purpose & drills' and it almost appears to be 'stressful' for those who are way too serious with it.
Heck get out and splatter some clays, hit the woods to send some pine cones flying etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top