JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've attached a couple of pictures from my 5.56 tool head used on my 550C. If you notice, the powder die does not come down even to the bottom of the tool head. Is this the same for other 550 users that load .223 / 5.56?

It's working fine for me so I don't know that anything said here will change what I'm doing. The reason I ask is that all the documentation from Dillon and others always show the die much deeper in the tool head and state to adjust the die you can grasp the threads from underneath. Well not with my set up! Any comments?

20191115_192717.jpg

20191115_192738.jpg

Following as I've only loaded for 9mm so far on mine and it definitely sits lower. Of course the 9mm is a shorter cartridge.

Yes, all my pistol powder dies sit lower, and so does the die I use for .30-06, but it's the old 450 powder die with adapter so I can use a manual powder measure to accurately load extruded powder. That die setup is a bit different than the way the 550 works.

That looks correct for the later version of the #A 223 powder funnel, used in the Dillon 550's. Picture you saw, was probably of the earlier version #A 223 funnel used on the Dillon 450's. I have both. Can tell you they both work. Just the early version is shorter.

Thanks BSAshooter … I was thinking this was the case but thought I'd ask to be sure I'm not missing something. While I've reloaded for a long time, the 550 and progressive loading is something I've only been doing a short time and I'm always looking to learn something new!

Mine is the same as the one pictured. When I got it I noticed it didn't stick down like the pistol inserts, and I figured it was due to the longer case length & not belling the 223 brass. Works like a charm.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top