JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have had my Oregon concealed carry permit for many years and have just accepted the rules since I really don't have any choice. But I wonder why doesn't Oregon accept other states gun permits and why don't many other states accept the Oregon permit?

I picked up a non-resident WA state permit years ago just to have access to a few more states.

Has this factor been discussed in the Oregon State Legislature?

Any members know the whole story?

What can we do to work on getting this changed?

In short, Oregon is stupid. Basically the way I understand it is that Oregon only wants to recognizes states that have the exact same standards as Oregon enforces for CHLs. This eliminates all other states. In the '09 "regular" session there was a bill presented that would allow reciprocity amongst bordering states (e.g. washington, idaho etc). The reason Washington doesn't recognize Oregon's CHL is simply that Oregon won't recognize there's. Again, STUPID!!!

The story goes....
Oregon's background includes mental health records. Other states-including WA don't.

==================================================

How does the state get mental health or any type of health records about an individual?

The Dr. would not give me any info on my 19 year old daughter even though I pay her bills, something about a group of laws refered to as Hippa(?), which wont allow Drs to release any info to any one with out being authorized by the patient.

You authorize the records check when you apply.

========================================================

I see.

They must have mad computer skills to find that Dr I stoped going to years ago because he said I was crazy.:)

I suppose they track all your records through your Ins. and the names you provide.

========================================================

I see.

They must have mad computer skills to find that Dr I stoped going to years ago because he said I was crazy.:)

I suppose they track all your records through your Ins. and the names you provide.

Thanks for the confession! The records they have access to refer to mental "commitments" like a 72 hour psych hold and such. WA doesn't check anything like that.

Stupid, yes, but at least we have them available to us.

Keith

you should be outraged that you have to apply for a right.. not thankful that you're one of the chosen few allowed to exercise your right.

not trying to be a dick, but comments like this are appalling to me.

It would be dumb to condition any firearm rights on the type of mental health treatment received, or one's medical records - that would serve to discourage gun owners from seeking care when they needed it.

Of course, some states do it anyway...

you should be outraged that you have to apply for a right.. not thankful that you're one of the chosen few allowed to exercise your right.

not trying to be a dick, but comments like this are appalling to me.

Then be appalled all you want. Yes, I am outraged that I have to apply for a permit in the first place. However, you can apply and be legal under the law as it is currently enforced or not apply and be outraged all the way to jail. Your choice.

Besides...chosen few? No-one 'chose me'. I met all of the must-issue criteria to obtain my permit (I'm a US citizen, I'm not a felon, etc). If you can't get one because you have a criminal past, that ain't my problem.

Keith

Last Edited:
perhaps part of the reason is financial. Why would WA want to honor an Oregon permit when they can generate revenue by selling permits to Oregonians instead?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top